Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 03 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 06:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Replacement for Canon knuckle strap E1

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 03, 2017 06:44 |  #1

For many years my Canon bodies have been gripped plus Canon E1 knuckle strap (external link). For event and walkabout photography I like this secure way of being able to carry the camera and always be ready for action.

Having just ordered a 5D IV and grip I was astonished to find that the E1 strap has ceased production and I cannot find a new one in old stock anywhere.

Recommendations please for an aftermarket alternative noting that I want to use the strap tag on the grip for the lower mounting, NOT the tripod socket.

Many thanks.

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Sep 03, 2017 09:23 |  #2

I suggest you read the review of the Herringbone wrist strap at http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...one-heritage-leather.html (external link). Note that there is a type 1 and a type 2 which basically means with or without a bottom plate. There are also a few types of color combinations.

Then, if you are interested, they are available on Amazon UK so do a search for pricing. See https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...era-Leather/dp/B00YOJ5JGS (external link) for the black with red stitching type 2.

You occasionally will see some reviews that the leather stretches, and indeed it does. But I have small hands and after doing some readjustment over time the stretching has stopped and the holes in the strap were ample to allow a proper adjustment.

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Sep 03, 2017 09:34 |  #3

I use this strap (external link). I had the canon one you linked and found it to be too constricting of movement.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 03, 2017 10:12 |  #4

gossamer88 wrote in post #18443448 (external link)
I use this strap (external link). I had the canon one you linked and found it to be too constricting of movement.

I use a Crumpler brand that is similar to this but this type is not what the OP is looking for because they do not hold your hand ONTO the grip closely.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 03, 2017 10:22 |  #5

Thank you all for the prompt and helpful replies; much appreciated.

I like being able to relax my grip and still have the camera supported with no risk of dropping it - which means that the Herringbone Type 2 strap is exactly what I am after, so I have ordered one.
Extra thanks therefore to John from PA.

Now to get to "grips" with the mk IV when it arrives on Tuesday. :)

Cheers Guys!

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Sep 03, 2017 21:54 |  #6

I've used a SpiderPro Hand Strap (external link) for about two years and it provides good support and comfort. I can loosen my grip without fear that the camera will drop, even without the wrist strap, because it has a bend so it sits well back on my hand.

More recently I've been trying out the Peak Design Clutch Hand Strap (external link). It doesn't sit as high up as the SpiderPro strap but it still feels comfortable and secure and it's not as rigid as the SpiderPro strap so it's easier to stash into a tight bag.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 12, 2017 07:56 as a reply to mcoren's post |  #7

Thank you once again, John from PA.

I finally unboxed my 5D mk IV this morning and a few minutes later the Herringbone Type 2 strap (external link) arrived from Korea - via airmail as a nice surprise, not the expected surface mail. It is *exactly* what I was after and fits my knuckle, well, like a glove! It is every bit as well made as it looks in photographs and is genuine leather, not a look-a-like synthetic material; as well as the smell and feel it has that "creak" that new leather makes. Although I have not fitted it, included in the box is a slotted metal tag to allow a neck strap to still be fitted even though the slot on the body has been taken up by the knuckle strap - so exactly the same approach as the discontinued Canon E1 strap. Fittng is intuitive and the only "problem" I had was that the strap is a fraction of a millimetre wider than the slot on the top of the camera body - so it took some jiggling to get it started before enough was pushed through for me to grab with thumb and forefinger, and pull. A minor fact, and I'm very happy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Sep 17, 2017 03:23 |  #8

Canon have replaced the strap with an updated model, not cancelled it.

Anders

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 17, 2017 08:16 |  #9

Charlie Victor wrote in post #18450110 (external link)
Thank you once again, John from PA.

It is every bit as well made as it looks in photographs and is genuine leather, not a look-a-like synthetic material; as well as the smell and feel it has that "creak" that new leather makes.

Maybe the Korean firm bought up all the excess of Connolly Leather Ltd.;-)a

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,448 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 17, 2017 14:37 |  #10

apersson850 wrote in post #18454017 (external link)
Canon have replaced the strap with an updated model, not cancelled it.

What's the Canon part name/number for the new strap? I'm totally unaware of a new one but am very interested.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,897 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Sep 17, 2017 18:29 |  #11

Ironically the successor to the E1 is........ the E2. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Sep 18, 2017 03:27 |  #12

The main difference is that the new one can be used on cameras that don't have any battery grip as well. Thus it's not only for 1D-series and those adding grips to their cameras.

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,897 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by TeamSpeed. 5 edits done in total.
Sep 18, 2017 19:59 |  #13

They just copied the ones that were already out in the market, then jacked up the price to $45 USD. I still have my aftermarket equivalent from 2007 or so, and I paid a third of the cost. Keep in mind that the E1 was just over $20, so is that bottom plate for attachment of non-gripped bodies really worth $20ish?

This is pretty similar and the customer reviews beats out the Canon E2, if you dig past the incorrect ones for the floatie straps.

https://www.amazon.com ...nements=p_72%3A2661​618011 (external link)

If you dig around, you can find the extra metal plate that gives you a connection for a neckstrap, or a different 3rd party similar grip. Vello, for example...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 19, 2017 09:30 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #14

As I understand it there is no replacement for the E1 from Canon. Both the E1 and the E2 were available in parallel for a period of time, the former requiring a battery grip as it uses two eyelets and the latter not as it uses one eyelet plus the tripod socket - an approach that I find less reliable as the strap can move out of alignment. Anyway, still very happy with the Herringbone; nicely designed and suits my needs perfectly.

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Sep 19, 2017 11:59 |  #15

I had a Canon strap many years ago (on the GR-70 I got with my EOS Elan), and more recently I tried a couple of the similar $10 Amazon cheapies. In my opinion, they all have the same problem: The strap isn't very wide, and the pad gets soft when it is warm so you feel the entire weight of the camera over a small area on the back of your hand, especially at an outdoor event on a hot day.

The advantage of the Herringbone, Spider Pro, and Peak Design Clutch straps is that they distribute the weight over a wider area so they are more comfortable for a longer time. I've used the latter two at airshows this summer and they really make a big difference.

Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

7,157 views & 1 like for this thread
Replacement for Canon knuckle strap E1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.