Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 03 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 10:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

In the market to buy a reliable ballhead

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Sep 03, 2017 10:03 |  #1

Hi,

I currently have the Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod, 498RC2 Midi Ball Head & 200PL-14 QR Plate. I was very satisfied with this setup when I had the entry level equipment but in time I started to buy heavier lenses, most probably will add the 1Dx to my gear list later, so decided to buy a better ballhead. I'm happy with the tripod, it's sturdy and does the job well, I'll continue using it.

What I want is a ballhead with a quick release plate. I loved the logic of my Manfrotto about how flexible they produce their products. I was able to use their plate with every of my equipment. Getting it off a camera and installing to another one was too easy, no extra equipment needed.

I want a reliable product, I don't want to put thousands of dollars of equipment to be hanging on an insecure ballhead.

I want precision. I got used to easily lock my camera to the 3 dimension position with a switch, so ballhead it is. So what I want is a ballhead that'll keep the point where I lock it, that's all :)

I guess I'll never go for lets say 600mm 800mm lenses. So max weight will not be over 4 kg I guess.

500$ is the limit for both the ballhead and the plate.

Sorry to start such thread. I checked the forum a bit, especially the FAQ thread, but many of the topics are like 7-8 years old. There must be a lot of alternates out by this time. I also continue my research but your advises will be really helpful to give me a starting point.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 03, 2017 10:05 |  #2

Buy Sirui K-30 (or K-40). Awesome ball heads.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 03, 2017 10:06 |  #3

But if you can find a used RRS then jump on that. It's rare that they come up though.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 03, 2017 12:57 |  #4

Here... get it now.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485885

(no affiliation with seller)

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Sep 03, 2017 13:13 |  #5

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18443603 (external link)
Here... get it now.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485885

(no affiliation with seller)

Thanks for the help.

I can't buy second hand as I'm in Turkey. And whatever I buy a friend coming from China will bring to me next week. In Turkey it's impossible to find anything, and when I find I need to pay double the price. Anyway, that Sirui has all good comments as I see, I may go for it. Trying to understand if I should go for the 40x or if 30x will be enough for my needs.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 03, 2017 13:18 |  #6

I opted for the K30. The base on the K40 is larger in diameter and if you stick with the Manfrotto you have it will be larger... not that that is a problem though.

The K30 will hold up a 7-200 f2.8 or a 100-400 with absolutely no problem. Buy with confidence. They are excellent products.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 03, 2017 13:25 |  #7

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #18443625 (external link)
Thanks for the help.

I can't buy second hand as I'm in Turkey. And whatever I buy a friend coming from China will bring to me next week.

It may have some bearing as to where the purchase be made? Is you friend going from China to Turkey?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Scrumhalf. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 03, 2017 13:27 |  #8

I have a Sirui K40 on my Gitzo. Works great.

I read somewhere (maybe on this forum), long after I purchased the K40, that Sirui was copying other people's IP and baking it into their products). I'll probably take that into consideration and research it some more before buying another Sirui product. Let your conscience be your guide on this front.

Sam
6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Sep 03, 2017 13:59 as a reply to FarmerTed1971's post |  #9

I was also concerned about the size, otherwise as I don't care about portability I would go for the bigger one. I wanna buy a lighter tripod but not the priority right now. Thanks again for the very fast responses and all the help.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Robinson Crusoe.
Sep 03, 2017 14:01 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #10

Yup, a friend's friend is coming from China, the purchases will be from there. The prices are similar or cheaper than US as I checked.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Sep 03, 2017 14:02 as a reply to Scrumhalf's post |  #11

Thanks for the heads up.

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Arizona
Sep 03, 2017 15:09 |  #12

The bigger the ball and socket, the sturdier/stronger it will be. I had a Kood BH-55 when I lived in UK (but sold it when I moved here) and it was very good.

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,448 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Sep 03, 2017 15:37 |  #13

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #18443466 (external link)
What I want is a ballhead with a quick release plate. I loved the logic of my Manfrotto about how flexible they produce their products. I was able to use their plate with every of my equipment. Getting it off a camera and installing to another one was too easy, no extra equipment needed.
I want precision. I got used to easily lock my camera to the 3 dimension position with a switch, so ballhead it is. So what I want is a ballhead that'll keep the point where I lock it, that's all :)
500$ is the limit for both the ballhead and the plate.

I think you've missed the boat about quick release plates if you've been working with only one QR plate. The "quick release" part of the name really means quick changing of devices on the tripod. To do this, you need a QR plate more or less permanently attached to each body or lens that you would connect to your tripod's head. That way, you totally avoid the screwing and unscrewing of the plate as you change what you mount on the tripod.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,085 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Talley.
Sep 03, 2017 15:41 |  #14

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #18443656 (external link)
I was also concerned about the size, otherwise as I don't care about portability I would go for the bigger one. I wanna buy a lighter tripod but not the priority right now. Thanks again for the very fast responses and all the help.

I'm 100% sirui right now. Unless you have a giant tripod you do not need the K-40x. The 30x will be just fine. I have the K-10x on my smaller tripod and the K-40x on my larger tripod. That 40x is a beast! I have the largest tripod Sirui makes and the K40x fits it perfectly. Make a fist... the K-40x is as large or slightly larger than your fist (I'm 6' with medium/large hands)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 03, 2017 15:44 |  #15

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #18443625 (external link)
Thanks for the help.

I can't buy second hand as I'm in Turkey. And whatever I buy a friend coming from China will bring to me next week. In Turkey it's impossible to find anything, and when I find I need to pay double the price. Anyway, that Sirui has all good comments as I see, I may go for it. Trying to understand if I should go for the 40x or if 30x will be enough for my needs.

I'll 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or whatever the Sirui 40x.

Get the 40 and don't look back. The price difference is so little, and you will not have to wonder if it can handle future loads--it will.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

928 views & 20 likes for this thread
In the market to buy a reliable ballhead
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.