Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 04 Sep 2017 (Monday) 20:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Keeping every photo vs just the selects?

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Sep 04, 2017 20:16 |  #1

I have been in the camp of keeping every photo I've every taken. The result is I have over 500K photos taking up about 11Tb of storage. My backup strategy is a mess because of the amount of data. So I'm considering reducing the number of photos, only keeping the ones I've selected from the shoot.

For a typical shoot I will take 1500 photos, then come home and narrow it down to 100-125 keepers, and then further narrow that down to 1-10 that get edited and published. So there are a lot of photos there that will probably never get looked at again.

Logically I can reason that I should just delete them and reduce my storage needs to only 10% of what I currently require. But that is so against my nature that I'm having a really hard time making that leap.

So what do you do? Keep everything? Or delete the majority and just keep a few?

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,011 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 04, 2017 20:27 |  #2

WOW!!! I moved out of the "keep every photo" like day 3 of having a digital camera. I also shoot way less then you do. I'll take maybe 500 to 1000 for a wedding but otherwise if I come home with 100 pics, it's a lot. From those 1/2 pretty much get deleted right away and I'll process just a handful from the rest. I've done a lot of cleanup over the past couple of weeks and got everything to fit on a 1tb drive.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 04, 2017 21:05 |  #3

I do cull my photos. Why keep something that's blurry, badly exposed, or useless? Even those images that have sentimental value get culled.

That being said, I still end up keeping more than just the 'keepers'. Some images can be used as alternates or backups (not data backups) or examples for future reference.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Sep 04, 2017 21:36 |  #4

My practice is evolving over the years. Currently I cull down to about one in four, on average, right after the shoot (usually the evening of the same day). It is not a rule or anything, it is just what works with the amount I shoot and how I shoot.

The 1 in four that I keep is really still too much, but I want alternative shots just in case.

Not too long ago I decided to go back to previous years to come to terms with forgotten folders to see what I still need. And i have been amazed at the crap I was saving. I usually manage to delete another three quarters of what is there. I also usually discover a small number of gems that were overlooked before that are worth spending some time on.

The reason for going back to zap unnecessary files is that it takes more effort to manage a bigger body of files. They take more time and space to back up, and it becomes harder and harder to find things.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Moose408
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Sep 04, 2017 21:37 |  #5

Alveric wrote in post #18444663 (external link)
I do cull my photos. Why keep something that's blurry, badly exposed, or useless? Even those images that have sentimental value get culled.

That being said, I still end up keeping more than just the 'keepers'. Some images can be used as alternates or backups (not data backups) or examples for future reference.

I do delete blurry, bad exposed, etc. But if it is otherwise a well exposed/composed photo then I keep it.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 04, 2017 21:40 |  #6

After each session, I rate the ones I wish to look at again in the initial sweep. I cull anything that doesn't make the initial cut then. Then through the 2nd pass, I again rate the ones I want to actually potentially process and potentially share. I then cull the rest. I end up keeping a handful of images from a session. If you keep up with it as you create it, it's easier, than going back months later and going through thousands. I don't worry about 'going back to edit again in the future' kind of thing. I keep the RAWs of my definite keepers though.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 04, 2017 22:28 |  #7

Cull your images and if they do not meet the cut, get rid of them.

Your intention should be to show your best, not show everything you took, for better or worse.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Sep 04, 2017 23:32 |  #8

Moose408 wrote in post #18444685 (external link)
I do delete blurry, bad exposed, etc. But if it is otherwise a well exposed/composed photo then I keep it.

Other images I delete are those that look so similar that can count as repeats—hand of subject in a slightly different position, slightly different facial expression, car passing by, &c.

Other than that, you just learn to live with thousands of images; and backing them up religiously.

Culling is sometimes a process some might tend to postpone, and this sometimes interferes with backups ("I'll back them up after I've gone through them and culled them, don't wanna back up rejects, then I'll have to hunt them down in the backup unit and kill them too..." or something like that goes the thought and reasoning). Don't let this happen to you. I recently had one of my photo drives take a nose dive and I'm still going back and forth with the data recovery lab trying to salvage years of files.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sep 05, 2017 01:08 |  #9

I just keep the selects, no point in keeping things that don't pass muster. I usually have about 25 or so from a shoot. Every once in a while I'll keep a sub-folder of raws (I call em B-Sides) that could've possibly made the cut, just in case I ever want to revisit the set. Even then there's at most 40 images per shoot. For client work, I'm not a storage service...and I advise them all to back up their files. That stuff is deleted after 90 days...no need to keep 1000 raws from an ecom shoot, at least not for me.

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 05, 2017 13:12 |  #10

I think you've identified what you need to do - only keep the photos that you will print, or maybe one step out from that, the photos you are sure you'll want to see again. That should reduce your storage by 90%.

One strategy I use sometimes is if I'm not sure I convert my RAW to medium jpeg, 2000 pixel Q8. I can still print it, process it, see it, but storage is 80% less than a RAW. I process all images before I convert though, because RAWs have more processing latitude.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

f8andBeThere
Joined Oct 2009
Memphis
Sep 24, 2017 17:20 as a reply to tim's post |  #11

I'm mainly an event shooter. I shoot everything RAW+jpg; I've been keeping RAW files only of keepers, but I keep the all the jpgs. As my archive grows, I've realized I may need to get more ruthless, but so far this works for me.

5D Mark III, 6D, 7D, 40D, 16-35mm f2.8 II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4 IS, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8 IS, Sigma 15mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4A, 430 EX II

MarcoEos
Joined Sep 2017
Netherlands, Utrecht
Sep 25, 2017 02:18 |  #12

I keep only the keepers ;)

"To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge."
Confucius
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,008 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 08:56 |  #13

Alveric wrote in post #18444663 (external link)

^
I cull immediately those shots that are out of focus, or exposed clearly beyond rescue of RAW recovery effort.
I keep 'alternative' shots because sometimes someone has better expression in that shot, even if they did not look so great in the 'chosen' shot...you never know if there will be a need for that alternative later. Since I usually do not shoot in multishot mode, I don't have 3 to 5 of every shot taken!

But the general methodology does vary dependent upon the type of subject...product shots vs. architectural vs. portraiture vs. events, for example.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 25, 2017 09:15 |  #14

Moose408 wrote in post #18444627 (external link)
Logically I can reason that I should just delete them and reduce my storage needs to only 10% of what I currently require. But that is so against my nature that I'm having a really hard time making that leap.

the thought of going back over half a million photos makes me sick to my stomach.

This is much more reasonable:

tim wrote in post #18445154 (external link)
One strategy I use sometimes is if I'm not sure I convert my RAW to medium jpeg, 2000 pixel Q8. I can still print it, process it, see it, but storage is 80% less than a RAW. I process all images before I convert though, because RAWs have more processing latitude.

Just set up a batch processing action and start processing thousands of images at a time. Once the images are processed into smaller files and backed up in a proper manner, delete the originals. This will also give you the opportunity to reorganize the archive/backups as you go along.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 25, 2017 11:42 |  #15

I keep all my raw files for my personal work. For clients I keep all of the processed files and raws for 2 years.

sponsored links

750 views & 3 likes for this thread
Keeping every photo vs just the selects?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.