Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 05 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 01:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rotolight Neo 2 - Legit replacement for OCF?

shaolin95
109 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post has been edited 7 days ago by shaolin95.
Sep 11, 2017 22:50 |  #16

F2Bthere wrote in post #18449861 (external link)
Thanks for posting the link. This does make a number of things quite clear.

Mr Jason says "this is not a marketing video." That is a load of BS. He just got done doing a press conference for the light. He is sponsored by the company. He states he is the only person out there with the light. His enthusiasm is over the top.

I am not familiar with him or his history, but he is clearly marketing a product.

This is a paid and produced marketing video done with a "casual" shooting style and very sophisticated editing.

It is sad when people compromise their integrity for a few bucks.

I couldnt agree more. I used to follow his videos but ever since he started this Rotolight thing not only the quality of his photos went down imo, but the value of its feedback is questionable now.
You can clearly see how any time he has to admit the advantages of strobe/flashes over the NEOs, he is VERY quickly following it that comment up with reasons why it does not really matter.
That is Marketing 101 in my book.

still...I am getting one myself and doing a photoshoot side by side with my Xplor600 and hopefully AD200 to see what I get. No BS as I am not sponsored by anyone but myself so I couldnt care less for which one "wins"!
With that said..if it turns out to be good I will keep it for when I am shooting in dimmer environments and trying to be light. But yeah..I dont see this replacing my Mola Setti or soon to be Parabolix 35D ...but we shall see.

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,257 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 11, 2017 23:00 |  #17

Do post side by side.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

shaolin95
109 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Sep 11, 2017 23:02 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #18

Will do. :)

nixland
442 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Sep 12, 2017 07:58 |  #19

And the most important thing is the info about flash power. :) Some kind of Guide Number. Bare light or with any of it's modifier.

shaolin95 wrote in post #18449873 (external link)

F2Bthere wrote in post #18449861 (external link)
Thanks for posting the link. This does make a number of things quite clear.

Mr Jason says "this is not a marketing video." That is a load of BS. He just got done doing a press conference for the light. He is sponsored by the company. He states he is the only person out there with the light. His enthusiasm is over the top.

I am not familiar with him or his history, but he is clearly marketing a product.

This is a paid and produced marketing video done with a "casual" shooting style and very sophisticated editing.

It is sad when people compromise their integrity for a few bucks.

I couldnt agree more. I used to follow his videos but ever since he started this Rotolight thing not only the quality of his photos went down imo, but the value of its feedback is questionable now.
You can clearly see how any time he has to admit the advantages of strobe/flashes over the NEOs, he is VERY quickly following it that comment up with reasons why it does not really matter.

still...I am getting one myself and doing a photoshoot side by side with my Xplor600 and hopefully AD200 to see what I get. No BS as I am not sponsored by anyone but myself so I couldnt care less for which one "wins"!
With that said..if it turns out to be good I will keep it for when I am shooting in dimmer environments and trying to be light. But yeah..I dont see this replacing my Mola Setti or soon to be Parabolix 35D ...but we shall see.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,257 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by bobbyz. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2017 08:23 |  #20

Found this from their web site:

3 feet (0.9m) :
Lux: 2000
Foot candles (fc) : 194
Lumen : 1032

fStop at ISO 200/400/800 : f8/ f11/ f16 (HSS Flash mode *)

*(Measured at 4110 Kelvin, PSU powered, at 1/60th )

So at 3 feet, ISO200, no modifier you have f8 at 1/60. Or ISO100, f5.6, 1/60. Not sure what they mean by HSS flash mode but then SS is 1/60. So at 1/250, you will be 2 stops less at f2.8 if my math is right unless when in flash mode it works like a real flash not a continuous light.

F2Bthere
674 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 12, 2017 09:17 |  #21

shaolin95 wrote in post #18449873 (external link)

I'm looking forward to your results.

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,424 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 12, 2017 10:46 |  #22

bobbyz wrote in post #18450141 (external link)
Found this from their web site:

3 feet (0.9m) :
Lux: 2000
Foot candles (fc) : 194
Lumen : 1032

fStop at ISO 200/400/800 : f8/ f11/ f16 (HSS Flash mode *)

*(Measured at 4110 Kelvin, PSU powered, at 1/60th )

So at 3 feet, ISO200, no modifier you have f8 at 1/60. Or ISO100, f5.6, 1/60. Not sure what they mean by HSS flash mode but then SS is 1/60. So at 1/250, you will be 2 stops less at f2.8 if my math is right unless when in flash mode it works like a real flash not a continuous light.

Note, also, that is at 4110 Kelvin. I have a similar LED panel with a mixture of blue and yellow LEDs that are ratio-mixed to achieve various color temperatures. When every LED is lit--the maximum light output--the color balance is right at 4200K...which is like a warm-white florescent balance.

Matching soft-white tungsten or daylight turns off some of the lights (blue or yellow, respectively), so you won't get that maximum output.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,257 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 12, 2017 10:47 |  #23

^^ Agree and if you read the print, it says PSU powered (not AA). So real life power is still less than what is quoted.

Daggah
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jun 2014
Sep 13, 2017 02:38 |  #24

shaolin95 wrote in post #18449836 (external link)
https://youtu.be/RW5AH​h8W94w (external link)
Haven't watch it yet but here is the new video him Jason

Some observations about this one...

He's in the forest shooting at f/1.4 and 1/250s and it seems like the light is maxed out to provide a decent exposure on his model. That would indicate that this light is just not very powerful.

85,000 full power flashes on double-A batteries! 0 recycle time! LOL, OK. Set an AD200 or AD360 at a similar power level to match the actual light output levels of this thing and you'll have nearly instantaneous recycle times and thousands upon thousands of flashes. And on a practical level, is there any point to being able to fire off more than 500 or so flashes?

Nikon D800 and Olympus E-M5 shooter
Flickr: Daggah
Facebook: Gevert Photography

cmosman
428 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Essex, England
11 hours ago |  #25

Daggah wrote in post #18450975 (external link)
Some observations about this one...

He's in the forest shooting at f/1.4 and 1/250s and it seems like the light is maxed out to provide a decent exposure on his model. That would indicate that this light is just not very powerful.

85,000 full power flashes on double-A batteries! 0 recycle time! LOL, OK. Set an AD200 or AD360 at a similar power level to match the actual light output levels of this thing and you'll have nearly instantaneous recycle times and thousands upon thousands of flashes. And on a practical level, is there any point to being able to fire off more than 500 or so flashes?

In a later youtube post Jason Lanier says he only ever shots at f1.4!!!

I was tempted by the Neo2 until I read more deeply into its limits, I will no longer trust over zealous posts by him!

Cameras & Lens all due to my kind wife :D

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,257 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
9 hours ago |  #26

Shooting at f1.4 shouldn't be the issue. Even at f1.4/f2 you need a lot of power when using HSS mode outside. I shoot mostly f2 juxt coz I don't trust my 85L at f1.2.

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,424 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 9 hours ago by RDKirk.
9 hours ago |  #27

bobbyz wrote in post #18455699 (external link)
Shooting at f1.4 shouldn't be the issue. Even at f1.4/f2 you need a lot of power when using HSS mode outside. I shoot mostly f2 juxt coz I don't trust my 85L at f1.2.

He's not overpowering the sun, he's shooting in dim ambient light. He happens to prefer to shoot at a very wide aperture, he's in dim ambient lighting, and he happens not to need a very fast shutter speed. All he needs is a little burp of light--for his particular use.

What makes it a disingenuous sales pitch rather than a true user test is that the RotoLight works for him only because he's using it as a niche tool, and he's not making it clear that he's using it as a niche too.

shaolin95
109 posts
Joined Jan 2008
8 hours ago |  #28

RDKirk wrote in post #18455703 (external link)
He's not overpowering the sun, he's shooting in dim ambient light. He happens to prefer to shoot at a very wide aperture, he's in dim ambient lighting, and he happens not to need a very fast shutter speed. All he needs is a little burp of light--for his particular use.

What makes it a disingenuous sales pitch rather than a true user test is that the RotoLight works for him only because he's using it as a niche tool, and he's not making it clear that he's using it as a niche too.

After he partnered with Rotolight not only his images took a hit (IMO) but his credibility took an even bigger hit.

sponsored links

2,197 views & 11 likes for this thread
Rotolight Neo 2 - Legit replacement for OCF?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.