Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 05 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 11:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

File naming/structure before importing into LR

dhyana
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 05, 2017 11:45 |  #1

I am a hobbyist/enthusiast and new to LR. I am looking for suggestions on how to structure/name file folders for simplicity.
All my folders have the default YY_MM_DD format from Canon's EOS utility, but I realize that built in filters in LR can easily sort by date, if needed - so its kinda redundant.
I have seen some useful B&H videos on LR organization, but the recommendations seem more applicable/relevant to professionals (with lots of events, jobs, locations, clientele etc. to keep track of). If you have developed a good/simple system for yourself, I'd like to know.
Thanks, in advance!

"Visits always give pleasure - if not the arrival, the departure."
- a Portuguese proverb

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Sep 05, 2017 11:53 |  #2

dhyana wrote in post #18445092 (external link)
I am a hobbyist/enthusiast and new to LR. I am looking for suggestions on how to structure/name file folders for simplicity.
All my folders have the default YY_MM_DD format from Canon's EOS utility, but I realize that built in filters in LR can easily sort by date, if needed - so its kinda redundant.
I have seen some useful B&H videos on LR organization, but the recommendations seem more applicable/relevant to professionals (with lots of events, jobs, locations, clientele etc. to keep track of). If you have developed a good/simple system for yourself, I'd like to know.
Thanks, in advance!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Then just add a few key-words to the images.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Sep 05, 2017 11:57 |  #3

I do the same as John but add descriptive text to the folder names after the date.

I also add a description to almost all the picture file names inside the folders.

Basically I set things up so I can find things in Lightroom, but also without Lightroom, because one day I might abandon Lightroom (or it might abandon me).

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

dhyana
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 05, 2017 12:32 |  #4

Archibald wrote in post #18445101 (external link)
... but also without Lightroom, because one day I might abandon Lightroom (or it might abandon me).

Good point/idea!

Most of my folders are like that, but lately, I have fallen off the wagon in terms of adding additional descriptors to the folder dates.

Thanks.

- a Portuguese proverb

dhyana
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 05, 2017 12:34 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #5

Thanks for your input, John.
My structure is very similar, currently.

- a Portuguese proverb

mike_d
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 1 month ago by mike_d.
Sep 05, 2017 12:49 |  #6

john crossley wrote in post #18445099 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by john crossley in
./showthread.php?p=184​45099&i=i215362941
forum: Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Then just add a few key-words to the images.

Mine is like this, except I have an extra level of folders for months. So it looks like this:

HOSTED PHOTO

I used to just have a folder for each date within the year folder, as below, but scrolling and populating the shot count became an issue.

HOSTED PHOTO

dhyana
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 05, 2017 13:06 as a reply to mike_d's post |  #7

Thanks, Mike.

A follow up question: Do you save all the pics from your phones in the same folders as above?

- a Portuguese proverb

mike_d
Goldmember
4,961 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 05, 2017 13:11 |  #8

dhyana wrote in post #18445151 (external link)
Thanks, Mike.

A follow up question: Do you save all the pics from your phones in the same folders as above?

Yes. I import everything of any value, including videos onto the same folder structure in Lightroom. My phone and my wife's phone uploads pictures/videos to Dropbox. I import from there into LR. My sister in law also takes videos and pictures of the kids and shares them with me via a Dropbox folder so that goes into LR too.

dhyana
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 05, 2017 13:48 |  #9

mike_d wrote in post #18445153 (external link)
Yes. I import everything of any value, including videos onto the same folder structure in Lightroom. My phone and my wife's phone uploads pictures/videos to Dropbox. I import from there into LR. My sister in law also takes videos and pictures of the kids and shares them with me via a Dropbox folder so that goes into LR too.

I like this format. It only means I have a lot of digital house-keeping to do before importing photos/videos from our phones!

- a Portuguese proverb

sponsored links

344 views & 1 like for this thread
File naming/structure before importing into LR
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.