Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 06 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 18:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

which lens would you rather have?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Sep 07, 2017 00:23 |  #16

James Crockett wrote in post #18446331 (external link)
only thing bothers me is doesn't have image stabilization but I do like how versatile the lens is. I've considered this one and the 50mm 1.2L..

I've had the 24-70 II ever since it got released and I've never felt the need for IS. Getting to 1/FL or faster is easy on my 6D.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,719 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Sep 07, 2017 01:57 |  #17

all these you don't need IS because of high ISO comments are kinda ridiculous...no matter what situations you shoot in, there's a time where f2.8 and high ISO won't cut it...but a lens with IS would...he mentions wanting IS, so he probably knows what conditions he shoots in...it's not like anyone is saying, you don't need f2.8, because of high ISO, just go for the 24-70f4IS...when people are choosing between a 70-200f4IS, and 70-200f2.8IS...nobody says get the slower lens because high ISO makes up for the difference

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Scrumhalf. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 07, 2017 02:17 |  #18

I gave my opinion based on my experience with this lens. When I have to go with a slow shutter speed, I have been able to use a tripod.

if you don't like my opinion, you can lump it.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 07, 2017 02:22 |  #19

I use slow zooms because I have fast primes. And they are cheaper, smaller, lighter. Mostly cheaper.

Tom

PCousins
Joined Nov 2014
Weston-Super-Mare (UK)
Sep 07, 2017 03:54 |  #20

I Sold my 35L and 50L for the 24-70LII.....I do not regret it.....The 24-70L II Is a wonderful lens as good as the primes if not better....

Gear List

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 2 months ago by DaviSto with reason 'Typo'.
Sep 07, 2017 04:12 |  #21

DreDaze wrote in post #18446456 (external link)
all these you don't need IS because of high ISO comments are kinda ridiculous...no matter what situations you shoot in, there's a time where f2.8 and high ISO won't cut it...but a lens with IS would...he mentions wanting IS, so he probably knows what conditions he shoots in...

The OP stated he wanted to use the lens for portraiture. In this use, I can't see he will often want to use a slow shutter speed for motion blurring (panning shots or moving water). So the fact is that the ability to shoot at higher ISOs with modern bodies greatly reduces the need for IS, as long as shots are well exposed, in his usage.

As it happens, the OP's current camera is a 5Dii, which is not king of the hill for high ISO shooting. Bodies come and go for me (although I like them to stick around for a good while) but lenses are for the long-term. So my opinion would still favour a faster zoom over a slower one for the OP's purposes, even it comes at the expense of no IS.

It's just my opinion. 'hope it doesn't seem a ridiculous one.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,592 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 07, 2017 05:10 |  #22

PCousins wrote in post #18446475 (external link)
I Sold my 35L and 50L for the 24-70LII.....I do not regret it.....The 24-70L II Is a wonderful lens as good as the primes if not better....

@ 1.4?

Tom

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Sep 07, 2017 06:13 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18446462 (external link)
I use slow zooms because I have fast primes. And they are cheaper, smaller, lighter. Mostly cheaper.

I agree. There's a lot to be said for a set of good primes instead of a top of the line zoom. 35mm f/2.0 IS, 50mm f/1.4 (... ... yes, I have heard all the criticism before already ... but I still think it's a more than ordinarily usable lens if you can get hold of a good copy) and 85mm f/1.8* would be a good set of modestly priced fast Canon primes that would make up a pretty complete portrait set, taken together with what the OP has already (arguably with some redundancy, since he already as a 100mm lens in there).

*Out of those, the 85mm f/1.2 would be the L range substitute I'd most want to have (and the second hand market for that lens should offer improving prices now that the 85mm f1.4 IS L is about to be released). It's not everybody's cup of tea but, when you get it right, the images have a unique quality that I find almost bewitching.

There are good non-Canon fast prime lens alternatives too, of course.

But this isn't answering the OP's actual question.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
121 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 07, 2017 06:44 |  #24

DaviSto wrote in post #18446525 (external link)
I agree. There's a lot to be said for a set of good primes instead of a top of the line zoom. 35mm f/2.0 IS, 50mm f/1.4 (... ... yes, I have heard all the criticism before already ... but I still think it's a more than ordinarily usable lens if you can get hold of a good copy) and 85mm f/1.8* would be a good set of modestly priced fast Canon primes that would make up a pretty complete portrait set, taken together with what the OP has already (arguably with some redundancy, since he already as a 100mm lens in there).

*Out of those, the 85mm f/1.2 would be the L range substitute I'd most want to have (and the second hand market for that lens should offer improving prices now that the 85mm f1.4 IS L is about to be released). It's not everybody's cup of tea but, when you get it right, the images have a unique quality that I find almost bewitching.

There are good non-Canon fast prime lens alternatives too, of course.

But this isn't answering the OP's actual question.

Thanks for the comment. chime in with anything. I have the 100mm macro and gave it some thought on selling it along with the sigma and go after a high dollar piece.. just a thought. Thanks everybody!

aboudd
Joined Feb 2013
Arlington VA
Sep 08, 2017 12:53 |  #25

For portraits, primes. The Canon 50MM 1.8 and the 85MM 1.8. The 50 1.8 is amazingly sharp and cheap, and the 85 1.8 is one of Canon's finest optics, even though it has been around for awhile and is also inexpensive. Another factor, front ends on these lenses is small, 49MM filters on the 50MM and 58MM filters on the 85 1.8. Finally, right in weight, both together lighter than either the Siggy or the Beast.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Sep 08, 2017 13:07 |  #26

I'm totally invested in Nikon for 35mm.

I do feel Canon has slightly better optics than Nikon. At least that's how I've always felt. Not done any recent comparisons. Back in the film days, a film processor friend of mine saw the same thing. Obviously, he's seen way more than I ever will. I've not really compared with digital, I just assume Canon still maintains a slight edge with their better lenses over Nikons better lenses. IMO...

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 08, 2017 19:03 |  #27

Canon just because it works.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 08, 2017 19:10 |  #28

It depends. A standard zoom is useful if you aren't sure what you are photographing.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Sep 08, 2017 22:27 |  #29

TooManyShots wrote in post #18447672 (external link)
It depends. A standard zoom is useful if you aren't sure what you are photographing.

...or why for that matter!

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Goodform
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 14, 2017 08:49 |  #30

I just went from a cropped sensor 7D setup to a 6DII full frame with a 24-70, so I'm hoping I made the right choice. I still have the 35L on 'want' list, will probably pick one up to see how I like it.

sponsored links

4,368 views & 14 likes for this thread
which lens would you rather have?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.