Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 07 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 05:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Maybe it's time we prove who we are when posting??

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Sep 07, 2017 05:25 |  #1

https://www.dpreview.c​om ...hotographer-for-two-years (external link)

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

sponsored links
Ballen ­ Photo
19,480 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Sep 11, 2017 00:40 |  #2

WOW! What a cheeky bastage! This to me is an outrage. :-(

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 11, 2017 01:20 |  #3

Ballsy.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

photosbytw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Sep 13, 2017 17:00 |  #4

Makes me wonder if anyone is real anymore...............

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

MatrixBlackRock
34 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Sep 26, 2017 09:52 |  #5

photosbytw wrote in post #18451507 (external link)
Makes me wonder if anyone is real anymore...............

I know I'm not. ;-)a

Wayne

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 26, 2017 09:58 |  #6

Fooling an Instagram subscriber is one thing, fooling a media org something else. Shame on the media orgs for not doing at least a little homework validating this guy. Do they truly just publish anything without any type of background checking? Evidently so.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MatrixBlackRock
34 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Sep 27, 2017 18:35 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #18460750 (external link)
Do they truly just publish anything without any type of background checking? Evidently so.

If it fits their narrative, you can be assured they will run with it.

Wayne

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Oct 19, 2017 17:14 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #18460750 (external link)
Fooling an Instagram subscriber is one thing, fooling a media org something else. Shame on the media orgs for not doing at least a little homework validating this guy. Do they truly just publish anything without any type of background checking? Evidently so.

The mainstream media loves stories like this because they generate a lot of clicks. Even the more reputable outlets are under a lot of pressure to get the stories out there, so they take shortcuts in verification that they wouldn’t have done years ago when publication times were measured in days instead of hours. Even the most basic and obvious questions don’t get asked.

This sort of thing happens all too often in the internet age. Once it’s exposed as a fraud, there’s the usual hand-wringing and mea culpas and editorial statements about having to do better, but all of that soon blows over and it’s back to business as usual. Until the next time. In the meantime, the story served its purpose in that they got the clicks so there’s no long-term disincentive.

Just the other day I was reading an account of how a journalist fooled media outlets around the world with a bogus scientific study saying that eating chocolate helps you lose weight. The mainstream media ran with it, and these were big names too.

https://io9.gizmodo.co​m ...e-helps-weight-1707251800 (external link)

It’s an interesting story illustrating the effective use of poorly designed studies, pay-to-publish journals, slick web sites with authoritative names, and catchy headlines on press releases. Even those news outlets that did bother to follow up asked only basic, superficial questions.

Another, more recent example is the recent flurry of headlines about "The Yellowstone volcano could erupt in 20 years" and such nonsense. There was a valid scientific study published describing changes that occurred in the Yellowstone volcano before its last major eruption (600,000 years ago), and how some of those changes occurred over periods of 20 years instead of the thousands that had been previously thought. Nowhere did the authors state that the volcano could go from its current state to eruption in 20 years, but that's what the media chose to run with. That gets more clicks than a report on a mundane scientific study about something that happened 600,000 years ago.

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

2,561 views & 6 likes for this thread
Maybe it's time we prove who we are when posting??
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.