Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 13:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone using the SpiderPro Dual Camera Holster system?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 08, 2017 13:48 |  #1

I was looking at this for dual wielding of a Sony a9 and an a6500. I want to get the MoneyMaker but a lot of my events require a suit jacket which the SpiderPro would work better with.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
arthurbikemad
60 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by arthurbikemad.
Sep 08, 2017 13:51 |  #2

I use it and tbh I love it! 1DX2 and a 5D4 no problem, I do use two para cords to be sure I don't drop a camera in error!

With your a9 and 6500 you will be made up!

Oh by the way, I love to shoot without slings or straps so the spider goes well with my style.

edit: I'd like to try the moneymaker, some swear by it! Safer IMO but I love the freedom of the spider.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 08, 2017 13:57 |  #3

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18447490 (external link)
I use it and tbh I love it! 1DX2 and a 5D4 no problem, I do use two para cords to be sure I don't drop a camera in error!

With your a9 and 6500 you will be made up!

Oh by the way, I love to shoot without slings or straps so the spider goes well with my style.

edit: I'd like to try the moneymaker, some swear by it! Safer IMO but I love the freedom of the spider.

Thanks. The moneymaker would be a no brainer for me if all I shot was weddings where I could wear a vest with it. But I shoot about 60% high end corporate events and 40% weddings. Most of those events require a suit jacket so I was looking for other options. Right now I'm just using the a9 and changing lenses, but I would like to get away from that if possible.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

arthurbikemad
60 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by arthurbikemad. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 08, 2017 14:07 |  #4

I read this and that before buying it and after all here in the UK it's up around £200.00 by the time you add some extra pins and so on, anyway I have been shooting for around 25 years now and had hundreds of straps and so on in that time, the thing that I love about the spider is no swinging camera bodies on the end of slings (I now use a BlackRapid as my neck strap) etc!! The big thing for me is the camera stays put and is ready to shoot in a snap, the catch takes some getting used to and I wish it would stay locked in the set position, when you release the catch it's easy to push it past the release/open setting into the always open position and if your not carful you could end up running around with an unlocked holster. Other than that, build quality, main belt buckle and so on are great! It's always in my bag, easy to put on and off in a second no matter what your wearing.

jlstan
Joined Feb 2012
Sep 18, 2017 20:35 |  #5

I use the dual spider pro for shooting sports and love it.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 22, 2017 11:16 |  #6

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18447511 (external link)
I read this and that before buying it and after all here in the UK it's up around £200.00 by the time you add some extra pins and so on, anyway I have been shooting for around 25 years now and had hundreds of straps and so on in that time, the thing that I love about the spider is no swinging camera bodies on the end of slings (I now use a BlackRapid as my neck strap) etc!! The big thing for me is the camera stays put and is ready to shoot in a snap, the catch takes some getting used to and I wish it would stay locked in the set position, when you release the catch it's easy to push it past the release/open setting into the always open position and if your not carful you could end up running around with an unlocked holster. Other than that, build quality, main belt buckle and so on are great! It's always in my bag, easy to put on and off in a second no matter what your wearing.

How long have you been shooting with it? I've heard reports that if you use the spider with speedlights over time it will pull off your hotshoe on your camera. Have you experienced anything like this?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Sep 27, 2017 09:48 |  #7

When i was shooting full time, I used a double spider pro set and loved it - had it for maybe 4 years ? (bought off a colleague, not sure exactly how long ago)
I took the metal bits off, and could run a normal belt through them (I did have a bunch of other bits with them, so I'm not sure what was supplied or purchased separately) I used a heavy duty 1.5" Nylon belt by "The Wilderness" and it worked perfectly - very comfortable, easy to use and fast - the only issue is reholstering, but with practice it gets faster and easier - just make sure you ensure the camera is secure before letting go.
I ran mine with the latches held open, so i could grab the cameras without messing with the lock, there is a little detent that holds them open.
For a pair of 1DX with 24-70 and 70-200 on them, it was a great system - never had any issues with the 600EX walking out of the hotshoe, a 580EX mk1 did get halfway loose a couple of times, after a long walk or run.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Sep 27, 2017 12:54 |  #8

Echo63 wrote in post #18461396 (external link)
When i was shooting full time, I used a double spider pro set and loved it - had it for maybe 4 years ? (bought off a colleague, not sure exactly how long ago)
I took the metal bits off, and could run a normal belt through them (I did have a bunch of other bits with them, so I'm not sure what was supplied or purchased separately) I used a heavy duty 1.5" Nylon belt by "The Wilderness" and it worked perfectly - very comfortable, easy to use and fast - the only issue is reholstering, but with practice it gets faster and easier - just make sure you ensure the camera is secure before letting go.
I ran mine with the latches held open, so i could grab the cameras without messing with the lock, there is a little detent that holds them open.
For a pair of 1DX with 24-70 and 70-200 on them, it was a great system - never had any issues with the 600EX walking out of the hotshoe, a 580EX mk1 did get halfway loose a couple of times, after a long walk or run.

Thanks. When I said pull off the hotshoe I actually meant rip the hot shoe off the camera body, not slide out of the hotshoe. Someone posted a picture of a Sony a9 online with the hotshoe ripped off, and said it was because of the Spider holster. He said that it had also happened to one of his Canon cameras over time. Maybe it was how he was treating his gear though.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Sep 27, 2017 20:35 |  #9

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18461540 (external link)
Thanks. When I said pull off the hotshoe I actually meant rip the hot shoe off the camera body, not slide out of the hotshoe. Someone posted a picture of a Sony a9 online with the hotshoe ripped off, and said it was because of the Spider holster. He said that it had also happened to one of his Canon cameras over time. Maybe it was how he was treating his gear though.

I haven't seen it happen - but i haven't used the Sonys you mention.
I worked at a newspaper with 15 photographers - everybody had issues with the hotshoes coming loose - they needed tightening every 6 months or so - I was the only one using a Spider system, so I would say its not an issue with the Spiderholster, but an issue with the heavy workload our cameras had.

The only hotshoe issues I have had were when my flash was hit with a netball, and broke the hotshoe, and when a bodyguard grabbed my camera and swung it round his head by the strap - the plastic foot on my 580EX broke and the flash went flying (still worked though)
both happened before i started using the spider holsters.

the 580EX used to slide out of the hotshoe, the locking pin would slowly retract as the flash rocked back and forth while walking - I never had it fall out, but it was halfway out of the hotshoe after a few longer walks/runs

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.
Oct 06, 2017 15:01 |  #10

I have the dual and used it twice. Once in a mall for a ribbon cutting day of a beauty emporium. Then I took it months later to an auto show.

My conclusion is to keep it and use whenever I won't be squeezing through doors much or compact crowds. I recently removed grips from both bodies ... not just for the holster .. but that's what I'd do down the road anyway.

Actually, I bought a vest to use in conjunction that can hold extra lenses, batteries, etc..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com ...lVpikqTZcinNcmfQ&us​qp=CAY (external link)

The open back means I can use it even in warm weather without overheating. But it should allow carrying 4 lenses. 2 on the cameras and two in the vest.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links

678 views & 1 like for this thread
Anyone using the SpiderPro Dual Camera Holster system?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.