Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Sep 2017 (Friday) 19:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wide Angle Zoom Recommendations

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Sep 08, 2017 19:32 |  #1

I'm thinking about getting a wide and zoom for a crop sensor camera. I own the 15-85, would like something that goes to around 10mm, plus I'm hoping to find something with less distortion down at the wide end. I've used the Tokina 11-16, very sharp, but so little range I was constantly swapping it off the camera. A few I'm considering - the new Tamron 10-24, Tokina 11-20, and the Canon 10-22. I wonder if anyone has experience with any of these, or something I haven't mentioned. Thanks.

Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,564 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Sep 08, 2017 20:01 |  #2

patrick j wrote in post #18447684 (external link)
I'm thinking about getting a wide and zoom for a crop sensor camera. I own the 15-85, would like something that goes to around 10mm, plus I'm hoping to find something with less distortion down at the wide end. I've used the Tokina 11-16, very sharp, but so little range I was constantly swapping it off the camera. A few I'm considering - the new Tamron 10-24, Tokina 11-20, and the Canon 10-22. I wonder if anyone has experience with any of these, or something I haven't mentioned. Thanks.

I've had several crop-frame UWA zoom lenses. I tried the Canon 10-18. If aperture doesn't matter to you, this lens is very good, IQ-wise. I found it too slow (f/4.5-5.6) for me.

Before that I had the Canon 10-22. It is faster (f/3.5-4.5) and noticeably less vignetting. The 10-22 is also USM, so it focuses quickly. I'm not convinced that is necessary in UWA. The 10-22 does have a really nice zoom range, too.

My current crop-frame USA zoom lens is the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8. If you can get past the Tokina AF/MF clutch system, this lens is fantastic. I don't care about the clutch because I shoot auto-focus all the time. I got bored a few days ago and compared my 80D/11-20 combination to my 6D/17-40 combination. Generally speaking, both are really good setups. Overall, I prefer the 6D/17-40 setup. However, the 17-40 absolutely SUCKS in the extreme corners at 17mm, at any aperture. I shot the 11-20 at 11mm & f/2.8 and the corners looked way better than the 6D/17-40 at 17mm AT ANY APERTURE. Sorry, but I've already deleted my test shots.

I did plan on selling the 17-40. But in low-light the 6D/17-40 does a lot better at f/4 than the 80D/11-20 does at f/2.8. The new(er) 80D handles noise quite respectably for an apsc camera, but it can't compete with the 6D, even with a 1-stop aperture advantage.

Tom

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 08, 2017 20:06 |  #3

Heya,

For cost and function, the 10-18 STM is great.

Depends on your budget and your uses though.

What other requirements do you have other than focal length?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,452 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 08, 2017 20:21 |  #4

Check http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?t=1443670&goto=n​ewpost

patrick ­ j
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Sep 08, 2017 20:23 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

Cost isn't too big of a deal (although don't suggest the Canon 11-24). Sharpness in the corners is big, and then having a longer versus shorter zoom range is another thing I want. I do landscapes, so a variable aperture doesn't matter, I'll usually be stopped down a little bit anyway.

Flickrexternal link

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 08, 2017 20:33 |  #6

patrick j wrote in post #18447698 (external link)
Cost isn't too big of a deal (although don't suggest the Canon 11-24). Sharpness in the corners is big, and then having a longer versus shorter zoom range is another thing I want. I do landscapes, so a variable aperture doesn't matter, I'll usually be stopped down a little bit anyway.

I've used the EF-S 10-22 after using the Tokina 11-16. The Tokina is sharper, but flares horrible. The 10-22 handles flare great, can shot right into the sun without getting nasty flare. It's not the sharpest lens, but it's sharp enough at F8~F11, which was fine for me. Great lens for what you're looking to do and cheap on the 2nd hand market still.

If you're wanting something newer, sharper, the Tokina 11-20 is great. I'm not sure of its flare handling performance. I defer to others for that.

For me, when I look at an ultrawide I consider:

1) Cost
2) Flare performance
3) Focal length(s)
4) Normal filter threading
5) Corner sharpness and overall sharpness
6) Everything else

Be mindful looking for a big time long focal range in an ultrawide, there's a reason they're not 4x and 5x like a big telephoto zoom. Physics is tough to manipulate. They do not need autofocus.

There's also the prime approach with a Samyang/Rokinon.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

patrick ­ j
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Sep 08, 2017 20:35 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18447691 (external link)
My current crop-frame USA zoom lens is the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8. If you can get past the Tokina AF/MF clutch system, this lens is fantastic. I don't care about the clutch because I shoot auto-focus all the time. I got bored a few days ago and compared my 80D/11-20 combination to my 6D/17-40 combination. Generally speaking, both are really good setups. Overall, I prefer the 6D/17-40 setup. However, the 17-40 absolutely SUCKS in the extreme corners at 17mm, at any aperture. I shot the 11-20 at 11mm & f/2.8 and the corners looked way better than the 6D/17-40 at 17mm AT ANY APERTURE. Sorry, but I've already deleted my test shots.

The sharp corners sound like what I am looking for. What is the clutch system?

Flickrexternal link

davesrose
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by davesrose.
Sep 08, 2017 21:16 as a reply to patrick j's post |  #8

It's what Tokina uses for switching between manual focus/ auto focus. You push the focus ring in to AF, pull out to MF.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Bassat
6,564 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 08, 2017 22:47 |  #9

patrick j wrote in post #18447706 (external link)
The sharp corners sound like what I am looking for. What is the clutch system?

Tokina lenses cannot be manually focused while in auto-focus. Well, you can but you will damage the AF mechanism. The clutch system consists of the entire focus ring that you push forward to the AF line for auto-focus, and pull toward you for manual focus. Invariably, it does not engage going in either direction until you jiggle it a bit. If you need fast changes between AF and MF, you don't want this lens. If you need manual focus override while in autofocus, you don't want this lens. I very seldom use MF on this lens, so I don't care about the clutch. You may. See photo for a shot of the AF/MF positions of the focus ring.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom

Bassat
6,564 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Sep 08, 2017 22:50 |  #10

This is a full frame lens, and quite large compared to the Tokina 11-20, but the Sigma 12-24 is way wider on full frame than 10-XX or 11-XX on crop.

6D/Σ12-24II @ 12mm. Wrigley from just under the press box. In-camera HDR SOOC.

EDIT:
Added a better comparison shot of the Tokina AF/MF ring positions.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom

Bassat
6,564 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 08, 2017 22:57 |  #11

davesrose wrote in post #18447729 (external link)
It's what Tokina uses for switching between manual focus/ auto focus. You push the focus ring in to AF, pull out to MF.

Backwards, but you do have to move the entire focus ring to change AF/MF.

If someone reminds me, I'll do some quickie 6D/17-40 vs 80D/11-20 brick wall comparison shots for corner sharpness. Be advised, being better than the 17-40 in the 17mm corners isn't much of a claim. Most old style Coke bottles could probably make that claim.

Tom

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 09, 2017 07:25 |  #12

With regard to this clutch system, I have a Sigma 20-40 f/2.8 EX DG lens that has this type of clutch arrangement. It also has the standard Canon type switch. Reading the manual it seems to imply that the clutch system is there for use on Minolta bodies, I got the impression this was kind of standard for Minolta AF systems. I Since it has a very wide focus control being able to disengage the clutch in AF is quite nice. I just wish the zoom ring didn't work backwards compared to my other Sigma lenses, let alone Canon ones. For manual focus you need to make sure it is in the MF position both on the focus ring, and the AF Switch. There is no full time manual on this lens. I use it as my standard zoom on my 50D.

HOSTED PHOTO

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Robin522
Joined Aug 2009
Netherlands
Sep 09, 2017 07:38 |  #13

Have you looked at the Tokina 14-20mm f/2? No personal experience, but seems like a great performance with a wide aperture as well.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...omp=0&FLIComp=0&API​Comp=0 (external link)

Canon EOS 80D
Canon 10-18mm STM | Canon 24-70mm f/4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8
Canon Speedlite 430EX II
500px (external link)

patrick ­ j
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Sep 09, 2017 10:06 |  #14

Robin522 wrote in post #18447905 (external link)
Have you looked at the Tokina 14-20mm f/2? No personal experience, but seems like a great performance with a wide aperture as well.

I'm looking for something a little wider. Ditto for the Sigma that John mentioned.

Flickrexternal link

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Sep 09, 2017 10:17 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #15

Off topic: Great Wrigley Field shot Tom!!
Mike

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

sponsored links

3,798 views & 5 likes for this thread
Wide Angle Zoom Recommendations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.