Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 09 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 06:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Store long seamless laying down?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Sep 09, 2017 06:41 |  #1

This seems to go against common practice of standing it up, but does anyone do it?

I roll it up tight and either use some gaff tape or rubber bands to secure it, then slide it back in the box. But I have finally helped my mom clean up her garage enough to have a proper sized studio and have gone from short rolls to long rolls. I don't have the ceiling height at home, and her garage (plenty of height) is not climate controlled. In North Carolina it gets pretty humid and I think maybe the humidity would be worse than my current plan?

I have a flat brick wall at home that would support the entire length of the roll.

Thoughts?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
troutfisher
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Sep 09, 2017 07:28 |  #2

If its any help to you rolls of fabric and rolls of carpet are always stored on their side in a textile company warehouse

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Sep 09, 2017 09:14 |  #3

In the box?
Probably not a problem. I'd flip the box 90 degrees every couple of weeks to minimize problems.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 09, 2017 09:33 |  #4

troutfisher wrote in post #18447903 (external link)
If its any help to you rolls of fabric and rolls of carpet are always stored on their side in a textile company warehouse

believe it or not i have quite a few rolls of fabric laying on the floor right now. I shoot them regularly for a client.

paper has "memory" meaning if it gets warped a little it will remember that warp when it is unrolled. Vinyl will do this to an extent too, but at least with the hundreds of fabrics I have shot it doesn't seem to be a problem.

my brain is telling me that if I keep them rolled tight it shouldn't matter much. Going to rotate them too just to be sure, good idea david.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Angmo.
Sep 09, 2017 11:55 |  #5

Email savage. The foto store in my town stores backgrounds standing. I store mine standing. Paper will be impacted most. It may depend on humidity too.

I'd hate to iron out (is that even possible?) uneven paper where you can see where it rested on the bottom. Like a car tire, but every few inches.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Sep 09, 2017 18:43 |  #6

Keep it standing upright in the box, laying it down will cause sags that are a pain to clone out in post.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Sep 09, 2017 20:17 |  #7

If you want to store it horizontally anyway maybe something like two jack stands can suspend it on the horizontal pole. You should not put it down on the floor or you will get marks.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Sep 09, 2017 21:09 |  #8

Yes, store standing. I've gotten "flat spots" on paper and vinyl rolls in the past. Fabric seems to be ok either way.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Sep 10, 2017 06:38 |  #9

Those that have messed up a roll by storing horizontally, did you roll it up really tight and secure it?

I have a roll of black and a roll of white. Might leave one in the garage standing, and bring one home to see what happens.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Angmo.
Sep 10, 2017 12:15 |  #10

I'd start considering a fabric or other solution. Write Savage. They may have an answer.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sipowicz
Joined Jan 2013
Finland
Sep 10, 2017 13:17 |  #11

Have you seen this? There's some DIY solutions and maybe the drain pipe one wold work for you. https://youtu.be/jrfyV​a9bZ4E (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by ThreeHounds.
Sep 13, 2017 17:22 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #12

Unopened box 107" black paper. But it also happens to other rolled media like inkjet, unless the media has a core plug that exceeds the diameter of the media roll.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,877 views & 1 like for this thread
Store long seamless laying down?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.