Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 09:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ISO and ambient lighting

Meanie
102 posts
Joined Jul 2011
North Detroit Subs
Sep 10, 2017 09:12 |  #1

I shoot "for sale" homes for a real estate company for them to post. I have my camera set on program (Canon 60D) and not too concern about professional quality, but it wouldn't hurt if I can achieve it. Generally, I shoot about 150 photos per home, depending on size. I'm still uncertain how to set the ISO to achieve a proper balance of lighting. Outside photos are usually OK but I have noticed some darker photos on occasion. Inside photos are the problem. Some rooms may be darker than others and if I use flash, I occasionally get white wash and if I don't use flash, the shutter speed is slow enough where my movement will cause blur. Basically, many photos are far from professional quality, but good enough to post.

How do I achieve the right balance and closer to pro quality?

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Sep 10, 2017 09:44 |  #2

In a word: tripod.

Trip the camera's shutter release with the camera's timer or a separate trigger. It's not the only solution, but in your situation I think it's the simplest. Set your ISO as low as possible, set your f-stop at a higher number for greater depth of field (5.6, 8, et seq.), and set your shutter speed as slow as necessary to achieve proper exposure. There are a number of techniques and choices that come into play, but they range from basic to advanced levels of understanding.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by WaltA.
Sep 10, 2017 12:31 |  #3

Because of the differences in light inside the house vs outside, your best bet is HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Take 1/2 the exposures based on the outside lighting (assuming theres windows) and 1/2 exposed for the indoor light.

Some cameras do the work in camera - yours may require a little PP.

I think the latest version of DPP does HDR as well.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

838 views & 0 likes for this thread
ISO and ambient lighting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.