Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 10 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 13:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wasabi LPE6 battery and video recording

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sep 10, 2017 13:58 |  #1

I have some 3rd party no name LP-e6 batteries and they work fine for photos. But when they are used for videos, they only last 20-30min (as compare to 60-90min for the oem canon ones). So I am looking to pick up better 3rd party LP-e6 batteries and came across the Wasabi brand. Does anyone have good experience with Wasabi LP e6 battery and how much time are you able to get out of them when recording videos?

Gearlist

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 10, 2017 16:53 |  #2

I've been using a pair of Wasabi LP-E6 batteries with my 6D for about 5 years. The Canon is down to 2 green squares. Both Wasabis are still at 3 green squares. $29 for 2 batteries and a house/car charger. Can't go wrong.

Tom

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sep 11, 2017 08:03 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18448840 (external link)
I've been using a pair of Wasabi LP-E6 batteries with my 6D for about 5 years. The Canon is down to 2 green squares. Both Wasabis are still at 3 green squares. $29 for 2 batteries and a house/car charger. Can't go wrong.

How long does the wasabi last for video recording?

Gearlist

Bassat
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 11, 2017 13:47 |  #4

kenwood33 wrote in post #18449186 (external link)
How long does the wasabi last for video recording?

I don't do enough video to notice. When $29 gets you two batteries, and a house/car charger, I can't see that it matters. If a Wasabi lasts as long as a Canon, no harm no foul. If it lasts less than a Canon, you can get 4 of them for the price of a Canon. Buy spares? Buy a grip and use 2?

Tom

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sep 11, 2017 13:50 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18449495 (external link)
I don't do enough video to notice. When $29 gets you two batteries, and a house/car charger, I can't see that it matters. If a Wasabi lasts as long as a Canon, no harm no foul. If it lasts less than a Canon, you can get 4 of them for the price of a Canon. Buy spares? Buy a grip and use 2?

Do you mind testing it? It matters because i need to record video continuously for at least 20min. I can not stop and switch batteries in the middle.

Gearlist

Bassat
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 11, 2017 14:03 |  #6

kenwood33 wrote in post #18449501 (external link)
Do you mind testing it? It matters because i need to record video continuously for at least 20min. I can not stop and switch batteries in the middle.

You want me to test my camera, with my 5 year old Wasabi batteries? How much AF should I use? Which lens am I going to be AF'ing? Am I supposed to use the IS? How do I set my screen brightness? Is scene 'simulation' on or off?

How my gear would behave in any 'test' is only loosely related to how your gear will behave while you are shooting. Any information gleaned would be a complete generalization. Even in your gear, even with a fully charged battery, longevity will vary by camera settings and what you are shooting and how.

Tom

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 3 months ago by John from PA.
Sep 11, 2017 15:19 |  #7

kenwood33 wrote in post #18449501 (external link)

I suggest you go to Amazon and check the reviews for the product you are considering. And, in addition to the Wasabi, check the SterlingTek (STK) line of batteries, which also have a good reputation. See https://www.amazon.com ...arp_d_product_top?i​e=UTF8 (external link) for instance.

I also suggest you make your purchase direct from the battery importer to insure "fresh" product as well as product up to specs as far as the internal chip. Wasabi can be purchased directly from https://www.bluenook.c​om/search?q=lp-e6n (external link) and the SterlingTek can be purchased from http://sterlingtek.try​nt.com/canon-lp-e6-battery/ (external link). In general, Wasabi tends to bundle things, like two batteries and a charger for $30 whereas STK offers items separately.

A visit to the thread at http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​429050 might also be worthwhile as it discusses a charger that will work well from a car.

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post has been edited 3 months ago by kenwood33.
Sep 11, 2017 20:12 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18449511 (external link)
You want me to test my camera, with my 5 year old Wasabi batteries? How much AF should I use? Which lens am I going to be AF'ing? Am I supposed to use the IS? How do I set my screen brightness? Is scene 'simulation' on or off?

How my gear would behave in any 'test' is only loosely related to how your gear will behave while you are shooting. Any information gleaned would be a complete generalization. Even in your gear, even with a fully charged battery, longevity will vary by camera settings and what you are shooting and how.

I only want to know if one battery can record 20min continuously. So just point the camera to a static object with a fully charged wasabi and see if the camera is still recording at the 20min mark. Testing old batteries is the best since it provides the worst case scenario.

Gearlist

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 3 months ago by John from PA.
Sep 11, 2017 21:06 |  #9

Go to https://www.amazon.com ...tm_1?ie=UTF8&pageNu​mber=1 (external link) and check the 1324 reviews. As expected they range from good to bad. A few people find them fine for video, some don't. One general comment is use a grip with a pair if your camera permits.

Why don't you just Wasabi and return it if you are not satisfied? Having said that my personal experience has been with STK and batteries were not an issue. After numerous back to back 15 to 20 second videos of horses at a horse show, my camera shut down due to excessive sensor temperature. The shooting probably lasted for about an hour; probably 25 top 30 horses in the class. The camera however was in direct sun and operated remotely.

By the way, you are aware that for most DSLR's, a video clip can only be 29 minutes in length, then it stops? Depending on the model you can restart, but 29 minutes are about it.

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sep 11, 2017 21:16 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18449820 (external link)
Go to https://www.amazon.com ...tm_1?ie=UTF8&pageNu​mber=1 (external link) and check the 1324 reviews. As expected they range from good to bad. A few people find them fine for video, some don't. One general comment is use a grip with a pair if your camera permits.

Why don't you just Wasabi and return it if you are not satisfied? Having said that my personal experience has been with STK and batteries were not an issue. After numerous back to back 15 to 20 second videos of horses at a horse show, my camera shut due to excessive sensor temperature. The shooting probably lasted for about an hour; probably 25 top 30 horses in the class. The camera however was in direct sun and operated remotely.

By the way, you are aware that for most DSLR's, a video clip can only be 29 minutes in length, then it stops? Depending on the model you can restart, but 29 minutes are about it.

Thanks for the links. The main problem is I m not in the US, so return is not easy. Also they are sold for almost 80 (for 2 with charger) here. Yes I am aware of the 29min limit.

Gearlist

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2017 04:18 |  #11

kenwood33 wrote in post #18449825 (external link)
The main problem is I m not in the US, so return is not easy. Also they are sold for almost 80 (for 2 with charger) here.

I see you sold some equipment once and the meet point was Toronto. Check http://www.bestbuy.ca ...hResults.aspx?query​=lp-e6 (external link) for some choices by Best Buy Canada, one of which is (2) batteries and the charger for $40. The battery alone is $26 by the same vendor. Maybe time for you to take the gamble.

I also note that ordering SterlingTEK from Amazon (USA) results in a $5 shipping charge for the $14 battery. But of course you may get hit with duties.

kenwood33
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Sep 13, 2017 08:03 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #18449985 (external link)
I see you sold some equipment once and the meet point was Toronto. Check http://www.bestbuy.ca ...hResults.aspx?query​=lp-e6 (external link) for some choices by Best Buy Canada, one of which is (2) batteries and the charger for $40. The battery alone is $26 by the same vendor. Maybe time for you to take the gamble.

I also note that ordering SterlingTEK from Amazon (USA) results in a $5 shipping charge for the $14 battery. But of course you may get hit with duties.

Good find, thank you!

Gearlist

sponsored links

4,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wasabi LPE6 battery and video recording
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.