Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 10 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 20:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Compiling several time lapse videos into one - workflow questions

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 10, 2017 20:32 |  #1

I am beginning my first dabble into video editing and have a workflow question. My goal is to put together one of those generic 2-3 minute timelapse compilations of a city that are all over YouTube.

I have taken several sequences of time lapse photographs and edited them using the Lightroom and LRtimelapse workflow. I have final edited video clips from each sequence and I have collections of each individual photo with the LRtimelapse ramping metadata saved in Lightroom. My editing style between different sequences is not consistent - in some I have crushed the blacks, in others I have pushed highlights, etc.

I plan to re-edit each sequence in LRtimelapse to get a consistent look. I have some questions about how I should go about doing that.

I am thinking I should

• re-edit each sequence in LRtimelapse and Lightroom
  • only edit for white balance, saturation, sharpening, and have something very neutral
  • export video files from LRtimelapse
  • import video files into Premier Elements and do any color grading there

My other option is to do all the editing, but instead of exporting videos from LRtimelapse, export all the individual images out of Lightroom, and import individual images into Premier Elements. Or should I attempt to get a consistent look from Lightroom/LRtimelapse and just use Premier Elements as strictly something to stitch everything together? Or some combination?

Can someone with more experience in video editing point me in the right direction?

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 16, 2017 15:17 |  #2

I'm not the best person to answer since I use neither Lightroom nor Elements. My habit matches your first option, using whatever application seems most appropriate for clips and stills and then putting everything together in Premier Pro for final sequencing, audio, transitions, color grading, etc.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Sep 18, 2017 10:03 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #3

That's what I'm currently doing, thanks for the affirmation.

I decided to make a lightroom preset to get all the series close to the same processing style. I'm currently re-exporting all the image series as videos from LRtimelapse, and I'll begin importing them into Premier soon.

Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

cutwater
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
near Saratoga Springs, NY
Oct 13, 2017 10:24 |  #4

I would use LRT and LR for the heavy duty processing and assemble / transition / color grade in Premiere or the like. I am working on the same type of idea, putting a number of clips together to highlight an area / region. I am also intending to mix in some slow motion scenes as well.

For a good TL film, I think the key is lots of short clips rather than long ones. Look at the opening sequence of House of Cards, it's 32 or so (counted once but forgot!) TL clips. I think it works very well. Some are motion some are static. If you don't have motion gear and you can do a Ken Burns movement effect, zoom in, zoom out, etc, to add more interest.

Good luck, look forward to seeing your final project.

Websiteexternal link flickrexternal link 500pxexternal link FaceBookexternal link

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Oct 13, 2017 10:30 as a reply to cutwater's post |  #5

That's pretty much what I did, except I ended up using GoPro Studio to assemble each individual clip. Don't judge, but it was the easiest. I used a trial of Premiere Pro to assemble the movie.

I figured I should post the finished product. Video below, and a blog post about it. (external link)

1,795 views & 1 like for this thread
Compiling several time lapse videos into one - workflow questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.