Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 Sep 2017 (Monday) 22:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 655: Glass

Car
Joined Jan 2008
Glasgow
Sep 18, 2017 13:54 as a reply to post 18455025 |  #16

I live and learn too, I didn't realise that Peller had vinyards anywhere else!

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,642 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Sep 18, 2017 17:38 |  #17

New challenge is up

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,591 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Sep 18, 2017 19:22 |  #18

Kudos to all. Some great images.

Car, you're the second person this week who I've seen posting about Niagara on the Lake and ice wine. I love that area. I also love the occasional ice wine. We used to get some good Austrian eiswein when I lived in Germany. Tasty stuff.

Mark J.
Gear

CarloY
675 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CarloY.
Sep 18, 2017 20:36 |  #19

Congrats Maureen and Car. Definitely creative, great shots. Thanks Teekay for hosting and judging. (If you hadn't nixxed architecture up-front, that's what you would have gotten. ;-)a )

Retailers in California cannot sell ("mainstream" 60W +/-) incandescent light bulbs in recent years. Hence, this once common thing has become a nostalgic throw-back overnight.
Thanks Maureen for your 'like'. Shooting that left me me quite a latitude of lighting & exposure combinations, and varied results. Fun! Thinking of trying coating the bulb (L/R edges w/ spray adhesive, hairspray, etc) and reshooting.

re: HoaganHeroes

Car wrote in post #18454921 (external link)
They are beautiful. Such a gorgeous tribute to your family pets.

+1

Cheers

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,177 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 18, 2017 22:21 |  #20

CarloY wrote in post #18455349 (external link)
Retailers in California cannot sell ("mainstream" 60W +/-) incandescent light bulbs in recent years.

This is news to me. We can still buy them. New construction and remodels do require fixtures that take only LED bulbs, but the state government doesn't make our old lamps obsolete or make us rewire a home that has incandescent-type sockets.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

CarloY
675 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CarloY.
Sep 19, 2017 00:46 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #21

@OhLook,
I just sloppily broad-brushed the subject. Basically, within 50W-90W range (or maybe 40W-100W) old_incandescent_techn​ology is "gone". Still allowed however in appliance bulbs, rugged service, other specialty. Also allowed for decorative styles... flame shape, globe shape, etc. I'm not sure about 3-way bulbs situation.
Happily for me, basic 150W and 200W old-tech bulbs can still be sold.

What passes for a 60W Incandescent bulb today... may be incandescent-Halogen, or some newer technology. (or else the product may be specified for vibration/rugged etc: ceiling fan, shop light...)

If I needed to shoot some vintage setting/scene lighting, I'd be searching for someone with some old stock left over.

Agreed, once you start remodeling --- certain levels of compliance kick-in. Depending on scope and size of remodel, interconnected smoke alarms may be required (and maybe other energy/conservation/sa​fety features).

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 19, 2017 10:15 |  #22

So I guess this wouldn't be allowed;-)a

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Edison.jpg

CarloY
675 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Sep 20, 2017 03:22 |  #23

teekay wrote in post #18455728 (external link)
So I guess this wouldn't be allowed ;-)a

??: may be 8-), but :evil:

Is that authentic? Looks great.
I've seen some new "Edison style" bulbs, replicas, at our local hardware store... nice enough, but not very "wow". Lots of selection online however.

Fun stuff to complement settings/scenes.

Car
Joined Jan 2008
Glasgow
Sep 20, 2017 04:33 |  #24

M_Six wrote in post #18455308 (external link)
Kudos to all. Some great images.

Car, you're the second person this week who I've seen posting about Niagara on the Lake and ice wine. I love that area. I also love the occasional ice wine. We used to get some good Austrian eiswein when I lived in Germany. Tasty stuff.

It's gorgeous isn't it? I didn't realise until out first visit there that there was so many wineries and vinyards, in fact I didn't even realise at the time that Canada produced wine, we had never been able to buy Canadian wines over here.
Eiswein IS good too - would never refuse a glass of either :-P:-P:-P

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 20, 2017 10:45 |  #25

CarloY wrote in post #18456348 (external link)
??: may be 8-), but :evil:

Is that authentic? Looks great.
I've seen some new "Edison style" bulbs, replicas, at our local hardware store... nice enough, but not very "wow". ....

Yes, definitely authentic. When we bought our first house many years ago from a really old lady, this bulb was still in daily use in an antique lamp there. Now I keep in a box in bubble wrap and only light it for photo like this.

teekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,592 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 20, 2017 10:53 |  #26

Car wrote in post #18456368 (external link)
.... I didn't even realise at the time that Canada produced wine....

On your next trip to Canada I suggest you come to B.C. and spend a least a week taking wine tours in the Okanagan Valley which is loaded with first class wineries and vineyards. I guarantee you would be be amazed at the quality and variety.

Car
Joined Jan 2008
Glasgow
Sep 20, 2017 12:53 as a reply to teekay's post |  #27

That certainly sounds like a great idea. Hope to get back over in the next few years.

sponsored links

6,281 views & 19 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 655: Glass
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.