Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 09:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

buying from POTN, what to look out for?

anitaw2
210 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Sep 12, 2017 09:27 |  #1

I'm looking to purchase a lens on this web site. Has anyone had any problems from sellers. What do I look out for. I am wanting a 50 or 85L lens.

Anita W.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 12, 2017 09:29 |  #2

Every transaction I've made on this forum, buyer and seller, has went perfectly. This is a good group of people. Use your due diligence and spider-sense but you should have no problems here.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Sep 12, 2017 09:42 |  #3

Check out the feedback sticky for farther reasurrance. Positive Feedback Sticky.

Just go to that thread and do a search for the seller.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

MBB89
231 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 12, 2017 09:54 |  #4

FM has a bit better organized feedback system than this forum but I've had very nice experiences purchasing on both. Many are members of both forums so you can always ask for someones FM handle as well.

JoeLopez
429 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Sep 12, 2017 09:57 |  #5

I've made a few purchases here the last few years, ZERO issues. It's a great community.
Just remember to NEVER use the paypal friends/family payment method to ensure you are protected.

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T, FE2 | Minolta XG1 | Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area event photographer : Flickr (external link)

3Rotor
757 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Sep 12, 2017 10:12 |  #6

Agreed. The POTN community has treated me well throughout the years. I've bought and sold here several times. I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. As FarmerTed said, use your due diligence.

Good luck in your search!

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Sep 12, 2017 10:21 |  #7

I've bought a few cameras and lenses from members here through this forum and have been absolutely satisfied each and every time.

It's still a good idea to do your own research on not only what you are buying but the seller as well. Overall, I don't think you'll ever find a better group of people.

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Peter2516.
Sep 12, 2017 10:26 |  #8

Nothing but good experiences in this forum, bought my EF500mm and few other stuff paid via Paypal and once I did a direct deposit from sellers bank account.

I also check the feedback page or how active is the seller in the forum.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

mswobo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Illinois
Sep 12, 2017 10:41 |  #9

always use paypal and never paypal gift.....you are protected that way....I have done dozens of transactions here....never a problem,,,,i have made several purchases over a 1000.00 perfectly here. good luck....I have purchased all my gear used except my camera body....i have more toys that way.....used equipment comes available all the time... especially on lenses.

5D III / 16-35 F4 / 24-105 / 70-200 F4 IS / Sigma 15 2.8 / Zeiss 21 / 24 3.5 / 35 1.4 / Zeiss 100 2.0 / Sigma 150 OS / Sigma 150-600 Sport / Olympus OMD EM5 II / 12-40 2.8 / 17 1.7 / 25 1.8
"Every time I set up I learn something new".

SailingAway
275 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Sep 12, 2017 11:13 |  #10

The only problem I ever had was over on FM - it could happen here, too.

The seller had mis-identified one of the options of a panorama rig they were selling, an honest mistake. I asked the seller for a partial refund so I could buy the parts to set it up as they'd listed it, they did so, all good.

These things happen. The good people on these forums respond.

Having said that, there are a handful of listings I've not pursued. There are a couple scammers banned from this site and from FM. The moderators are active in this, but unfortunately it starts with someone's bad experience. If the seller doesn't seem to have it together in the way you expect that's a good reason to walk away! But that's the same with any person-to-person sale in any venue. This web site is only providing an ad listing, it's up to you to use common sense and a secure payment method in any of these sites!

Paypal gift is never a good idea for buyers *and sellers* who don't know each other. There are lots of other basics of good online transactions, the known scams, etc., that Google searching will reveal. But they don't seem to show up here!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

brambo76
285 posts
Joined Jun 2007
MA
Sep 12, 2017 12:28 |  #11

Have had good experience generally both buying and selling. I don't do much transactions these days, but you should follow common sense. verify credentials(usually feedbacks), descriptions(since these are used, accurate description of item should be given with note for any scratches, etc), avoid deals too good to be true, etc. I found buying from these forums to be a good way to buy used gears at good price. Craigslist seems to be overpriced and limited in selection and also way too many scammers.

6D / Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art / ST-E2 / manual lenses + adapter / Canon 28mm 2.8 IS / Tamron 70-300mm VC
Equipment List / Feedback

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Sep 12, 2017 12:31 |  #12

JoeLopez wrote in post #18450230 (external link)
I've made a few purchases here the last few years, ZERO issues. It's a great community.
Just remember to NEVER use the paypal friends/family payment method to ensure you are protected.

I'm not familiar with paypal friends/family payment. Do you mean just pay through regular paypal. I'm in Canada, I don't know if that makes a difference on the duty amount.

Anita W.

5DmkX
Joined May 2012
SE Wisconsin
Sep 12, 2017 13:04 |  #13

anitaw2 wrote in post #18450365 (external link)
I'm not familiar with paypal friends/family payment. Do you mean just pay through regular paypal. I'm in Canada, I don't know if that makes a difference on the duty amount.

The friends and family payment is exactly like giving the person cash and when you do that, Paypal won't do any investigating if you as a buyer don't get what you paid for. The reason people do that is so they don't have to pay PP the 3% fee, but then they should put that in their pricing. If you pay via regular Paypal, then PP will investigate in the event of a dispute. Better yet, ask the seller to send you a PP invoice spelling out exactly what's included in the sale. A legitimate seller will understand and have no issue doing that. I too have had nothing but good experiences on here.

Tom

5DMkIV,Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 VC, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 VC, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 S OS
Facebook (external link)

anitaw2
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Sep 12, 2017 13:20 |  #14

5DmkX wrote in post #18450393 (external link)
The friends and family payment is exactly like giving the person cash and when you do that, Paypal won't do any investigating if you as a buyer don't get what you paid for. The reason people do that is so they don't have to pay PP the 3% fee, but then they should put that in their pricing. If you pay via regular Paypal, then PP will investigate in the event of a dispute. Better yet, ask the seller to send you a PP invoice spelling out exactly what's included in the sale. A legitimate seller will understand and have no issue doing that. I too have had nothing but good experiences on here.

Tom

ok thanks everyone. Now I am going to start shopping for a Canon L lens.

Anita W.

birddog59
Joined Jun 2008
Sep 12, 2017 15:56 as a reply to anitaw2's post |  #15

I have bought quite a few pieces of equipment here, three lenses and a body in the last year. Have always had good experiences. As everyone has said do not send PayPal funds friends and family, which is in fact the rule on the board. You can find feedback on buyers and sellers in the Marketplace Feedback sticky but some are not the best at posting their done deals in the thread.

sponsored links

1,547 views & 6 likes for this thread
buying from POTN, what to look out for?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.