Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 12:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aurora HDR. Is it better than what's already out there?

russellsnr2
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Sep 12, 2017 12:24 |  #1

Hi. as per the title is it better than what is already out there? Photomatix,SNS-HDR, Lightroom HDR. If yes what does it give that those are missing?
Thanks for any input.
Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 12, 2017 13:49 |  #2

I just received an email announcing the 2018 edition of their hdr app. I guess we will see when it comes out.

Kirk

Kirk
---

russellsnr2
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Sep 15, 2017 05:30 |  #3

kirkt wrote in post #18450431 (external link)
I just received an email announcing the 2018 edition of their hdr app. I guess we will see when it comes out.

Kirk

Hi, sorry for late comeback here.
Looking at there webpage they are offering this at €89.00 instead of the €249.00 (Yes €249.00).
Now the €249.00 includes 'Deep Dive into Aurora' yes OK for those like me who have never used it this maybe helpful. 3 Months Zenfolio Pro Membership but not stated what monthly plan offered and really does an ameture require such a site?, Travel photography tutorial by Matt Granger, someone many will not even no but can find him on his webpages and Youtube for free.
Brackets of what most can do for themselves. and of course the software.
No what you may say! "Don't buy it then" but just trying to see where a cost of €249.00 once the launch offer is over comes from?
SNS-HDR Professional
€85 Quote from Captain Kimo "This is the HDR program I use for a more realistic result"

Photomatix Pro 6 €79.99 loads of tuts free online.

EasyHDR $30.00-$65.00 Again tuts free online.

Yes they are trying something new but seems also to be a sprat to catch a whale in there advertising of the software.
One last observation. If you already own 2,3,4 or more HDR software programs do you really need another?
Thanks. Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 15, 2017 10:04 as a reply to russellsnr2's post |  #4

Exuse my ignorance, but what are tuts?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kirkt.
Sep 15, 2017 10:58 |  #5

eddieb1 wrote in post #18452926 (external link)
Exuse my ignorance, but what are tuts?

Tutorials.

I think that if a company is going to offer a pre-order discount without producing at least a reasonably detailed set of videos or write-ups about the software so you have some idea of what you are pre-ordering, then the red flag should go up.

I have watched a couple of the very few videos out there that are more than a couple of minutes long about 2018. One of them was published to this forum a few days ago, in fact, in this sub-forum. That video was about the interface. I do not really care too much about the interface, I would like to see the mechanics of the software and the results. The author demonstrates 2018 on a 5-bracket sequence that would likely have been possible to shoot and process with one exposure, maybe two, depending on your camera. This is the M.O. of most of the promotional stuff I have seen since AuroraHDR came out. Very few examples are out there that are actually image sets of an HDR scene. As I have said previously, the two images sets I use as a benchmark for AuroraHDR still cannot be handled without horrible artifacts, etc.

I will download a trial once it is made available and run my data through it again to see if anything has changed. That is really the only way to decide if the software is useful for your specific tasks or not. I try to be as objective as possible, so hopefully this completely new version will address some of the long-standing issues.

As it stands, the "extra" stuff that you get with the pre-order is worth about $0.

kirk

Kirk
---

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 15, 2017 12:51 |  #6

Thank you.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 28, 2017 14:43 |  #7

Well, after about 30 minutes of testing I will say it is way better than its predecessor.

kirk

Kirk
---

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 28, 2017 21:44 |  #8

russellsnr2 wrote in post #18450358 (external link)
Hi. as per the title is it better than what is already out there? Photomatix,SNS-HDR, Lightroom HDR. If yes what does it give that those are missing?
Thanks for any input.
Russ

Must be. That’s what they say on their web site. ߘ

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Oct 02, 2017 20:42 |  #9

Here's an edit from a single raw. The new application has a nice combination of speed and tool set with layers/masks/blend modes. Going to start putting some HDR data through the ringer and see what comes out.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Kirk
---

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 03, 2017 15:55 |  #10

I like Aurora 2018 but the update process on PC sucks balls.
I keep getting the "an update is available" window but when I d/l it and try to install it, it cancels itself every time part way through.
I then try to uninstall the software via the windows control panel and that gives me the same result, it cancels itself.
No response to the emails I've sent. They need to get their sh%t together.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Oct 03, 2017 19:12 as a reply to DagoImaging's post |  #11

Ugh. I'm guessing their servers are getting slammed.

kirk

Kirk
---

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 04, 2017 09:28 |  #12

I got it solved....

I had installed to a different path than the recommended c:...they advised against this. Once I force uninstalled it, rebooted and got it installed to the default path it worked.

This is bad programming on their part but I'll have to live with it.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kirkt.
Oct 04, 2017 11:37 as a reply to DagoImaging's post |  #13

Yep. Well, problem solved for now. Let us know what your tests reveal. I'm on the fence until I have time to really test the application, but I'll post the results here when I get a chance.

kirk

Kirk
---

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 04, 2017 14:02 |  #14

So far I like it...pretty infinite control. I really like the layer option to be able to effect only a portion of the image, just wish it had smart selection when creating the mask.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,662 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 08, 2017 23:52 |  #15

I tried Aurora HDR 2018 for Windows and was disappointed in the results. Applying effects using the various sliders often results in halos and other artifacts. The masking options are pretty basic. Most of the presets are way over the top even dialed down. I've asked MacPhun for a refund. Maybe it will improve in the next major release. I'll stick to manual blending using Lumenzia.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

sponsored links

2,168 views & 6 likes for this thread
Aurora HDR. Is it better than what's already out there?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.