Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 12:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Aurora HDR. Is it better than what's already out there?

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Stiga.
Oct 09, 2017 03:29 as a reply to post 18468758 |  #16

I'm inclined to agree with you. The image alignment and de-ghosting are very satisfactory but I found it slow compared to its 64bit rivals. I will not be buying it after my trail expires.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 09, 2017 08:10 |  #17

I haven't had any issue w/ it other than the install issue.

I don't get ghosting, it's completely controllable IMO.
I don't use the pre-sets as they are very heavy handed, although you can control how much they are applied.
It's relatively fast on my machine, but I'm running 32gb RAM and an SSD.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Oct 09, 2017 08:47 |  #18

A couple of workflow-related observations that I would think toned to be addressed to make the software more adaptable to peoples' existing HDR workflow.

1) The app needs to be able to read and write standard HDR formats for 32bit files - EXR at a minimum.
2) The batch processor is ok and provides options that allow the user to crunch several series of HDR exposure brackets; however, and ironically, I cannot find a way to save the merged exposures to the Aurora native HDR file format (the .mpaur2 format). There is also no way to specific multiple save formats for a single image/exposure sequence - that is, batch all of these brackets and output a .mpaur2 master file and a tone-mapped LDR JPEG with this preset I made applied to it.

Come on. Two major omissions that have nothing to do with the wizardry of the tone mapper, etc. I did purchase the application and I am continuing to test it.

kirk

Kirk
---

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bianchi.
Oct 21, 2017 09:51 |  #19

I purchased for Aurora 2018 for windows for one thing only, that's the luminosity masks.. I am still not seeing it. Contacted Aurora , they said it will be in a update in Oct.. Already have received and update, but no luminosity mask option. I contacted them again, and still haven't received an answer.. That was a week ago

Support...... whats that ??? non existing !!!

Also you can read another comment I made regarding Aurora

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​487833

My Gear flickrexternal link

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,677 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 21, 2017 10:08 |  #20

I got my refund for Aurora HDR. I didn't like the results from the program.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Oct 21, 2017 10:16 |  #21

digital_AM wrote in post #18468758 (external link)
I tried Aurora HDR 2018 for Windows and was disappointed in the results. Applying effects using the various sliders often results in halos and other artifacts. The masking options are pretty basic. Most of the presets are way over the top even dialed down. I've asked MacPhun for a refund. Maybe it will improve in the next major release. I'll stick to manual blending using Lumenzia.

Haven't heard of Lumenzia, can you elaborate on it....Thanks

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,677 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 21, 2017 11:08 |  #22

Bianchi wrote in post #18477517 (external link)

Sure thing. Lumenzia is a luminosity creation panel for Photoshop. It’s one of the more popular ones including Panel, Raya Pro, and ADP to name a few. These panels help you with blending exposures using lumymasking. They also offer many other features and each have their pros and cons.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

russellsnr2
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by russellsnr2. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2017 14:32 |  #23

Bianchi wrote in post #18477517 (external link)

Hi, If you don't have Photoshop and want to try out L/Masks have a look at On1 Photo RAW 2018, it's to be released end October and has a lot more than Aurora although as far as HDR goes I prefer SNS-HDR. www.on1.com (external link)
I did download Aurora and tried the HDR option from Lightroom 6 but after exporting 5 images Aurora just sat there doing nothing so I tried again same thing so un-installed it, re-downloaded it set it up and it told me trial had expired and that after less than an hour with it.
Maybe just unlucky.
Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Oct 21, 2017 21:43 |  #24

digital_AM wrote in post #18477544 (external link)
Sure thing. Lumenzia is a luminosity creation panel for Photoshop. It’s one of the more popular ones including Panel, Raya Pro, and ADP to name a few. These panels help you with blending exposures using lumymasking. They also offer many other features and each have their pros and cons.

Thanks, I do use Jimmy's Raya Pro & Insta Mask

russellsnr2 wrote in post #18477698 (external link)
Hi, If you don't have Photoshop and want to try out L/Masks have a look at On1 Photo RAW 2018, it's to be released end October and has a lot more than Aurora although as far as HDR goes I prefer SNS-HDR. www.on1.com (external link)
I did download Aurora and tried the HDR option from Lightroom 6 but after exporting 5 images Aurora just sat there doing nothing so I tried again same thing so un-installed it, re-downloaded it set it up and it told me trial had expired and that after less than an hour with it.
Maybe just unlucky.
Russ

I keep getting request to try the Beta of On1 raw, think I might give it a try... Thanks

russellsnr2
THREAD ­ STARTER
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Post has been edited 1 month ago by russellsnr2.
Oct 22, 2017 03:17 |  #25

Just been reading an article by Matt Kloskowski (The State of Post-Processing and Photo Editing in 2017 https://mattk.com ...ssing-photo-editing-2017/ (external link)) and a lot of it makes sense, well to me anyway. The amount of imaging software out there is massive and it still rolls on. I bet most of us have more than one editing program and if you do HDR more than one HDR program and yet to an extent they ALL do about the same thing be it image edit or HDR. Me, I have P/S CS 6, L/R 6, On1 RAW (now 2018 updated), Photomatix, SNS-HDR, Machinary HDR, Oh!!! and still have NIK. Yes I no this thread is or was about Aurora but the point is do We/You need yet another software? Well YES if the computer needs feeding again. People/Companies who produce these softwares are very cleaver they put it out there with names that we all reconise so as Matt K says in his article many of us follow certain photographers and if they say this new software is the best thing since sliced bread we follow along. Russ

Many Thanks,
Russell.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 22, 2017 18:47 |  #26

Use whatever you want. I stopped paying attention to Matt K years ago. He mentions that he uses On1, but downplays his role as an online rep for them. Does one really believe he does not know what demosaicing is? Please. I'm not sure I appreciate his mock ignorance perhaps to appeal to a beginner audience. He's been around for a long time.

I own several applications. I enjoy testing them, breaking them and figuring out what works best for me. I enjoy beta testing and giving developers feedback and participating in the process of image-making discovery. Sometimes image quality is paramount, sometimes workflow is most important, sometimes creative flexibility takes precedence and sometimes the computational aspects of image making drive the process. Whatever gets the job done and done well. To think one piece of software or a few applications can do everything well is wishful thinking. I'm not sure what his point is in this article.

Thankfully we are awash in choices, most, if not all, with free trials.

Thanks for sharing.

Kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Oct 22, 2017 19:00 |  #27

Another thing to consider for folks getting into photography, or any craft, is understanding what you want to do to realize the final image, versus the tools and process you use. Matt's article points out that, now all the tools are basically the same, it's the "vision" of the image that has become most important - as if this is a new revelation.

If you do not have an idea of what you want to capture, why bother? The emphasis on vision of the final piece is as old as art itself.

Kirk

Kirk
---

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Post has been edited 1 month ago by ejenner.
Oct 23, 2017 20:47 |  #28

kirkt wrote in post #18478609 (external link)
Another thing to consider for folks getting into photography, or any craft, is understanding what you want to do to realize the final image, versus the tools and process you use. Matt's article points out that, now all the tools are basically the same, it's the "vision" of the image that has become most important - as if this is a new revelation.

If you do not have an idea of what you want to capture, why bother? The emphasis on vision of the final piece is as old as art itself.

Kirk

Couldn't agree more. However, even though I think I do have a vision of the final result when I press the shutter (even if it is going to be a blend or some sort) I'm sure I am guilty of getting used to the look of a particular software. So before I test some other software I try to identify what I want it to improve on. Otherwise I try it, maybe change a few parameters and then think 'well this isn't what I'm used to'.

Although knowing that I may be biased towards what I know is at least a start to being open to change.

It seems to me from the images that they use that a lot of software is (and perhaps always has been) marketed to people who can't yet get close to realize their vision or don't have a vision to start with.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,677 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 25, 2017 08:40 |  #29

Guys, did you read about DxO acquiring Nik Collection from Google? Very exciting news.

https://nikcollection.​dxo.com/ (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by kirkt. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 25, 2017 08:50 |  #30

I do not think that I would ever shoot with the final image completely visualized in my brain, with no desire to deviate from that vision - I always experiment with the raw data once it is on my computer. But it always helps to start with good data, well exposed and well composed and then evaluate that data with an eye toward making the final image. That is the vision thing. Whether I apply certain looks or treatments, that may be a decision I make while shooting or one that I develop upon while working out the story I want to tell while in post.

The claim that "this image is straight out of the camera and if you cannot achieve your image straight out of camera then you need to learn photography" is equally patronizing and places arbitrary limits on image making, especially in today's "digital darkroom."

Have fun, keep learning - but do not expect to think that sliding sliders with no goal is the way to make an image. You have to have some idea about what it is your are trying to achieve before you sit down at the computer with application X. If you know that your working image needs a boost in contrast, an application of some local contrast, a boost in exposure here and there, and some changes to the shadow and highlight color and tone, then you can translate that into any application that gives you control over those elements. If you do not know that that is what your image needs to get the look you want, you can sit all day sliding sliders and get frustrated regardless of what software you have been told is "the best!"

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

2,221 views & 6 likes for this thread
Aurora HDR. Is it better than what's already out there?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.