Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 12:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any problems with this grey market battery?

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 12, 2017 12:39 |  #1

I got my 5dsR from Deals-All-Year on eBay for a great price, but the battery looks nothing like a LP-E6N battery that you'd buy at Adorama or B&H. I suppose its nice that its not outright a counterfiet ie a bad copy, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with a battery in a grey market kit. I guess a better question would be: does Canon label their batteries differently for cameras for sale in different countries?

I also received the official grey market battery charger, that doesn't plug directly to the wall but rather has a power cord, as shown on the Canon website. :oops:

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...oducts/groups/gray-market (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 12, 2017 12:40 |  #2

I was able to update the camera's firmware, which is a good sign.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 12, 2017 12:50 |  #3

Not really sure you can make the determination between grey mkt and counterfeit in this situation. Personally I am comfortable buying 3rd party more so than grey market. Wasabi at least attaches their name to the product and has a reputation to uphold. That will get my money every time. Especially when considering potential problems associated with crappy power supplies to sensitive equipment.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 12, 2017 13:01 |  #4

Wait, are you saying you bought the whole camera grey market?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,375 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Sep 12, 2017 15:18 |  #5

Since you appear to have purchased an entire grey market kit, the battery could be a genuine Canon of China product. It could also be a counterfeit. There are other images of a similar battery on the web. Where I would have concern is the lack of the UL symbol that appears onbatteries intended for the US market. This is not a requirement, in fact Wasabi and STK lack the UL mark.

As a point of interest was the camera made in Japan? Lens made in Japan?

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Sep 12, 2017 16:03 |  #6

Wasabi and STK are well known aftermarket battery suppliers, in case you want more batteries.

Off hand, I'd say yeah, gray market kit = different labels = different looking labels on the batteries.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 12, 2017 16:09 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

Yes, camera, charger, battery, box, manuals, etc.

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 12, 2017 16:10 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #8

The menu was in Japanese, like my 5d3 was when I got it grey market a few years ago. Never had a problem with that camera or the also-odd labeled "Canon" battery. Different eBay vendor.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,039 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2017 18:31 |  #9

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18450557 (external link)
The menu was in Japanese, like my 5d3 was when I got it grey market a few years ago. Never had a problem with that camera or the also-odd labeled "Canon" battery. Different eBay vendor.

Not that I can read it, but that battery is definitely labeled in Chinese and the label clearly identifies that the battery was made in China where a lot of lithium is sourced.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

4,341 views & 2 likes for this thread
Any problems with this grey market battery?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.