Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 12 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 14:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

20mm,28mm or 35mm?

Ranie ­ Dib
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Sep 12, 2017 14:55 |  #1

Choosing between a 20/2.8, canon 28/2.8 or 35/2 for Milky Way shots. I know the wider the better like the Rokinon 14mm, but I don't really like the FoV. Also want a general wide-ish angle for daily use, and it must have AF. Any one have any samples or experiences with these lenses?

www.raniedib.com (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 12, 2017 16:59 |  #2

Full frame or APS-C?

I use a 35 F2 IS often. You can frame the galactic core nicely even on APS-C with this focal length. F2 is helpful, and it handles coma nicely (not perfect though, but nice). I also use this as my "wide" every day prime on full frame.

Here's the 35mm F2 IS on an APS-C for the galactic core:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/13031601445_3deeea5d13_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/kRyn​6x] (external link)DPP_0794 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

I like it a bit wider, room to crop and handle bad coma. This is uncropped, you can see the coma at the edges (look for football shaped stars). You can stop down to help correct this, but F2 gives you a lot of light to work with.

Ideally, I'd say the Rokinon 24mm F1.4, but you want AF, so that rules that out.

Honestly, I'd suggest you get whatever lens you like for every day, and simply get a $300 tracker so that you can expose for 2~4 minutes at F2.8 and F4.0 without worry around ISO 1600 or so. Much better return for your money.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

Ranie ­ Dib
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Sep 12, 2017 17:07 |  #3

Forgot to add, it will be used for with a 6d. The tracker crossed my mind, but as it is I rarely go out to take night pictures and I feel like I won't put it to good use. I do have a 17-40l, maybe that will do for tracked shots. Is the Rokinon 24 really that good? There is one right now locally that is less than what the 28,35 or 20 cost used.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 12, 2017 17:18 |  #4

i like 35 for both night shots as well as running around snapping pics. I have the Sigma 35 A.

but there really is no correct answer. I was shooting night sky with my Tokina 16-28 2.8 a few weeks ago and wished I had a bit more to capture the scene. That is rare though. At some point I will buy the Rok 14 but it is pretty low on the list.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 12, 2017 19:08 |  #5

Ranie Dib wrote in post #18450604 (external link)
Forgot to add, it will be used for with a 6d. The tracker crossed my mind, but as it is I rarely go out to take night pictures and I feel like I won't put it to good use. I do have a 17-40l, maybe that will do for tracked shots. Is the Rokinon 24 really that good? There is one right now locally that is less than what the 28,35 or 20 cost used.

The Rok 24mm F1.4 is very, very good. Bests the Canon 24L II. It's crazy sharp, can be used wide open, and more importantly for wide field astro, it has very good coma control.

Specific comparison of Rok 24 vs Canon 24 II (external link)

But, it's manual focus. So this is maybe not something you want for general day to day unless you're already proficient and prefer manual focus (I happen to like manual lenses for family and stuff, I'm faster and generally more accurate than what AF would do for my compositions on older equipment).

Worth looking at.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale

smaeda
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Sep 18, 2017 13:30 |  #6

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4229/35638417916_aa58291991_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Wifd​2j] (external link)dc3_1 (external link) by shintarodesign (external link), on Flickr

Here is another canon 35mm f2 IS. I have to say the coma control is not very good though. And AF won't be usable at all for astro shots. I vote for 24mm Roki/yang as well.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L,

Ranie ­ Dib
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Oct 02, 2017 15:28 |  #7

Quick update. Had a chance to use a friends 24mm Rokinon and I am just blown away. Ordered one and it was decentered, the replacement was way off on inifinity. Decided to just get a canon 35/2 IS since I won’t be out for milk Way shots anytime this year.

smaeda
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Oct 02, 2017 16:15 |  #8

You can't really trust the infiniti mark on that lens unfortunately. Best thing to do is just test and mark true infiniti line yourself.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L,

Ranie ­ Dib
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Oct 02, 2017 16:29 |  #9

Had to do that too with a 14mm Rokinon I had before. Sad thing with the 2nd copy of the 24mm is it doesn’t even reach to infinity. Looked ok on LV on the trees I tried in the morning but come night time the stars are not in focus at all even when rotated at the max amount towards infinity.

sponsored links

584 views & 2 likes for this thread
20mm,28mm or 35mm?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.