Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New life for NP-E3 battery

piotrart
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Warsaw, Poland
Sep 13, 2017 02:29 |  #1

Maybe someone will use this modification
https://www.flickr.com ...rt/sets/72157657698​848213 (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 13, 2017 06:11 |  #2

The link seems to only present pictures and does so without any warnings about the danger of soldering at the ends of the NiMH batteries.

Even though NiMH batteries are relatively stable (as compared to others) excessive heat on the ends should be avoided. Wear safety glasses or good eye protection prior to doing this. Anyone attempting this should do some practice soldering and make some adjustments as needed in an effort to reduce contact time of the soldering iron tip on the battery end. Use a good flux to help. Try to get the contact time down to just a few seconds; 10 seconds is too long.

You of course do this at your own risk.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Sep 13, 2017 06:26 |  #3

I had two batteries professionally rebuilt ( they use a spot welder and tabs) with Eneloops for about one third the cost of a new battery. Cost was only about 10% higher than the retail price of 20 Eneloops.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 14, 2017 19:21 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #4

Interesting article.

Currently one of my LP-E4N batteries is starting to look a little dodgy (lots of re-calibrating) so I suspect a cell is dying. These packs use the standard 18650 Li Ion cells so I am looking to replace the Canon originals with some better quality cells when it finally dies. If only one or two cells are dead then I will have some more batteries for my torches (flashlights).

This sort of soldering is easy - even I can do it!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

4,229 views & 1 like for this thread
New life for NP-E3 battery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.