Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 20:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photog makes poor decisions ...

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,062 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Post has been edited 21 days ago by texkam.
Sep 13, 2017 20:09 |  #1

.... and social media whines about it.

https://petapixel.com ...nt-viral-wasnt-paid-dime/ (external link)

sponsored links
Sibil
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 13, 2017 20:31 |  #2

I wonder how a casual photographer prepares himself/herself for a day like that.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 13, 2017 20:44 |  #3

Kudos for trying to save the manatee. Should have tried to find intrinsic value in that. As someone in a related field of graphics, I know how things have devolved for intellectual property in the internet. A post on Facebook is pretty much public domain now...if you had filed copyright before, may be worth some financial fight. But as is, it's something that's a learning experience.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 1 month ago by K Soze.
Sep 13, 2017 20:53 |  #4

I don't think he was whining about it. I think he misunderstood, and still does not how to submit a press photo to sell. You need an agreement in place BEFORE you get that viral shot or you need something so exclusive you can sit on it for a day or more to get an agreement. The manatee is like a viral cat picture, it pulls on the sympathy strings at the moment. A day later and the news would have moved on.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 13, 2017 21:53 |  #5

Yes, he was not whining, just alerting others and he was happy to get the credit, when he got it.

For the record, "$5,000 per stranded manatee image" and stick to your guns because no one else has a stranded manatee photo. You can always negotiate down. But I think USA news outlets AP and UPI would have to pay the most first as they distribute to FOX news and others from there.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

texkam
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,062 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 13, 2017 23:20 |  #6

Perhaps a better headline would read ... I Shot a Hurricane Irma Photo That Went Viral, and I didn't know how to respond to usage requests. So yeah, I'll soften the whining comment.

Anyway, social media is vilifying AP, saying shame on them for being underhanded. Is it the media's responsibility or obligation to initiate a compensation amount? If an independent photog stands fast on their fee won't the AP either seek out another photo for less, preferably from an AP shooter, or simply choose to pass on the story? While this article is informative for uneducated photographers, business negotiations are a two way street. With no usage permission from the shooter, the image doesn't get run by the Fox Newsdesk, then by AP and the world. So it's not like this image was destined to go viral.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Dan Marchant.
Sep 14, 2017 02:39 |  #7

texkam wrote in post #18451745 (external link)
If an independent photog stands fast on their fee won't the AP either seek out another photo for less, preferably from an AP shooter, or simply choose to pass on the story?

They might choose one of those options but they might also choose option 3, which is "pay". While they are happy to try it on many outlets do pay because they know that they will earn from it.

Even if they do choose option 1 or 2 that is fine too. If they use your image they will earn money from it. If they aren't willing to share that benefit with you why would you want to give them permission.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Goodform
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 14, 2017 08:47 |  #8

Interesting read. I've often wondered how this issue works or what I would do if faced with a similar situation.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,960 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 14, 2017 09:42 |  #9

Is not his fault. He didn't have plans or goals about this photography in general. And this is obviously an one time thing. I think the more people would realize that they should be paid for their photos, the better for all photographers. Since he was getting plenty of photo requests, at one point, one agency would pay him. The rest? They would lose out and probably won't get the necessary photos to depict the damages Irma has caused.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

MatrixBlackRock
24 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Sep 26, 2017 08:49 |  #10

That's not so much a whine just lamenting about not being prepared to answer the question about licensing.

He should of tossed out a number and see if they bit, I know for a fact FOX News producers are authorized to pay $500 for a photo or clip, NBC Miami will go $300, FOX Miami/WSVN will offer to credit the photographer and then steal the photo anyway which as they have discovered can get quite expensive in my case it was $15K the ended up paying out.

Wayne

Sibil
Goldmember
4,908 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Sep 26, 2017 09:04 |  #11

MatrixBlackRock wrote in post #18460722 (external link)
.......which as they have discovered can get quite expensive in my case it was $15K the ended up paying out.

Wow

texkam
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,062 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 26, 2017 09:28 |  #12

That's not so much a whine just lamenting about not being prepared to answer the question about licensing.

Agreed. I edited my post. It's really been social media that is whining about how mean the media was.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post has been edited 21 days ago by joedlh.
Sep 26, 2017 10:56 |  #13

"After trying to help..." This is the all too typical response of the uninformed public. It's a noble thought, but could have resulted in more harm to the creature. There are certified wildlife rescuers and rehabilitators in most states who are trained to rescue stranded critters while minimizing further harm. The photographer's first thought should have been to call them. Looking at the photograph, it's clear that getting a several hundred pound manatee into clear water on that day would have been a herculean effort. With a hurricane bearing down upon them, I don't know.

A relative once told me that he encountered a gray seal taking a nap on a beach. He assumed that it was stranded and tried be the noble human rescuer. He's lucky it didn't bite off his hand. Gray seals aren't circus performers; they're aggressive and have a mouth full of teeth.

Offering the photo to the media for a mere photo credit was another example of poor judgment. When they heard that, it probably made their day.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 27, 2017 05:43 |  #14

I wonder how long it will be before AP or one of the other agencies that have picked up this image, and are selling licences for it, hit him with a cease and desist letter for posting his own image?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MatrixBlackRock
24 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Sep 27, 2017 11:42 |  #15

TooManyShots wrote in post #18452053 (external link)
I think the more people would realize that they should be paid for their photos, the better for all photographers. Since he was getting plenty of photo requests, at one point, one agency would pay him.

Very true, by giving away content for free it lowers the bar for those who make a living generating it.

Wayne

sponsored links

2,459 views & 10 likes for this thread
Photog makes poor decisions ...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.