Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 13 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 20:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

color-matching 2 monitors

ncjohn
673 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Asheville NC
Sep 13, 2017 20:52 |  #1

I've read many times that you can't get 2 monitors to match (color, brightness, etc) so I was wondering what's the usual work-around? Do you calibrate one, then eye-ball the other until they're close?

I just got an Asus PB238Q to go with my ViewSonic VP2365wb, and I'm still in the fooling-around-with-it stage. When I calibrate them both, the difference is atrocious, but I can manually adjust the VS until it's very close to the calibrated Asus. I'm tempted to stick with that, but I know I won't :-); there's still too much fooling around to do before settling on a setting.

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,708 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 13, 2017 22:17 |  #2

I believe if you try to manually change the color of two monitors, you'll never be satisfied! Based on your perception at the time, they may start to look close. Then with other light conditions and times, you'll start seeing deferences. IMO, it's totally worth it to invest in a calibration system. It consists of a sensor that might monitor ambient light, but will go flush with the surface of your monitor and configure it to be consistent. The overall color temp will be the same across all monitors.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,531 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Sep 14, 2017 03:24 |  #3

Don't use them both for editing. Edit on the one that calibrates best, and use the other one for panels, email, etc.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 8 days ago by kirkt. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 14, 2017 07:42 |  #4

Why can't you achieve this, at least within the limitations of the two display devices? This is what color management is all about. Using the proper hardware and software makes this possible. That said, trying to make an incapable display match a very capable display is probably unrealistic unless you calibrate and profile to the lowest common denominator.

kirk

Kirk
---

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aptos, CA, USA
Post has been edited 8 days ago by Hen3Ry.
Sep 14, 2017 10:31 |  #5

I have two monitors - one (NEC Multisync LCD30WQXI1) has spec of 97.5% Adobe RGB, and the other (Dell UltraSharp UP2716D) claims 100% AdobeRGB.

I can't see the difference between them, even with an image spanning both.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

ebiggs
Joined Oct 2012
Spring Hill, KS
Sep 14, 2017 10:45 |  #6

I use two monitors. I have for years. I think it helps if they are the same brand and model. Mine are and I can't see or tell if there is a difference in them.

G1x, EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Asheville NC
Sep 14, 2017 16:32 |  #7

Well, I'm very surprised and pleased that you guys are able to get your monitors to match; I've just read so many times that it's impossible.

And I found out why mine looked so different when I calibrated the new Asus: I've always calibrated the Viewsonic to 5000k and I realized I accidentally calibrated the Asus to 6500. (But then when I tried to calibrate the Asus to 5000 I ran into a problem. But that needs a new thread of its own.)

Thanks for the replies.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Aptos, CA, USA
Sep 14, 2017 19:35 |  #8

ncjohn wrote in post #18452410 (external link)
Well, I'm very surprised and pleased that you guys are able to get your monitors to match; I've just read so many times that it's impossible.

And I found out why mine looked so different when I calibrated the new Asus: I've always calibrated the Viewsonic to 5000k and I realized I accidentally calibrated the Asus to 6500. (But then when I tried to calibrate the Asus to 5000 I ran into a problem. But that needs a new thread of its own.)

Thanks for the replies.

Well, not to rag on you or anything, but I doubt that Photoshop or Adobe RGB was on the minds of the designers of either of those monitors. I'm not surprised that at 5000 they look different. You might try them at a more normal 6500.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,239 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 14, 2017 19:57 |  #9

Two monitors can be made to match; more than you wanted to know can be found at https://photo.stackexc​hange.com ...d-i-set-my-lcd-monitor-to (external link). The software recommend in the response is pricy but a lot of what you want to do can be accomplished by using the procedures at http://www.lagom.nl/lc​d-test/ (external link). The test images there can be saved to a stick and taken to a store for test purposes.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
673 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Asheville NC
Sep 18, 2017 11:47 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18452551 (external link)
Two monitors can be made to match; more than you wanted to know can be found at https://photo.stackexc​hange.com ...d-i-set-my-lcd-monitor-to (external link). The software recommend in the response is pricy but a lot of what you want to do can be accomplished by using the procedures at http://www.lagom.nl/lc​d-test/ (external link). The test images there can be saved to a stick and taken to a store for test purposes.

Wish I'd seen this sooner; I didn't get notified that this thread had more responses. Thanks for the links, I'll definitely take a look.

sponsored links

670 views & 1 like for this thread
color-matching 2 monitors
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.