Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 03:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Travel L Series Lens

AshikChauhan
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Sep 14, 2017 03:09 |  #1

Hi Everyone,

When I go backpacking I currently use my 5D mk1 + my 24-70 F2.8 lens.

I was wondering is that an okay lens to use or would some people consider 24mm to wide? I do get some spectacular shots with that lens.

What lens would people recommend for travel?

Thank you!

UK Based Portrait & Travel Photographer | Ashik Chauhan Photography
www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Owain Shaw. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 14, 2017 04:42 |  #2

Hello Ashik,

First, some questions: Where is it that you'll be travelling to? How will you be travelling? What is it that you are keen to photograph?

In any case, my answer is likely to be the following: If you already have a 24-70 then I think you don't need to look too much at other options. The 24-105 with IS is another versatile option with a bit more reach, and then there's the IS vs. extra stop debate, which for travel, good IS perhaps wins, but despite those two factors, I wouldn't worry about changing your lens. I base this on the fact that for the first few years I lived in Spain I was using that lens when travelling around and it was ideal.

Some would argue that 24mm isn't wide enough, and I will say that there are times when there isn't enough room to fit a whole cathedral, or tower, or what-have-you in the frame from the very bottom to the top ... however I'm not really into that anyway, so for me it wasn't a biggie.

I'll post a couple of sample albums from travels with that lens, these are from Bilbao and Donosti (San Sebastian) in the Basque Country (Northern Spain) ...
https://www.flickr.com ...aw/sets/72157633511​251587 (external link)
https://www.flickr.com ...aw/sets/72157633532​916898 (external link)

One more from the North-West tip, Galicia ...
https://www.flickr.com ...aw/sets/72157637371​431116 (external link)

All the best,

Owain.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

AshikChauhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Sep 14, 2017 05:21 as a reply to Owain Shaw's post |  #3

Hi Owain,

Thank you for your reply.

I like to travel all over every year & I shoot what-ever takes my fancy. I recently traveled to Myanmar, you can see some photos on my blog - http://www.ashikchauha​n.co.uk/blog/myanmar-images (external link)

I also have a 70-200 F4, which could maybe be useful for those discreet shots so I am not always straight up in someones face. I never have trouble with the 24-70 F2.8, so based on what you said, i think I will stick to that!

Thank you very much,

Ashik

UK Based Portrait & Travel Photographer | Ashik Chauhan Photography
www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Sep 14, 2017 06:07 |  #4

Hello again,

I was actually tempted to include a little suggestion about a 70-200 f/4 (lighter for carrying) but since you already have one then that's perfect for extending reach should you need it.

The photos from Myanmar are lovely, and it looks like you are indeed doing just fine with the 24-70. I'd stick with it, and save any money you might have spent on lenses for the travelling.

All the best,

Owain.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

326 views & 1 like for this thread
Best Travel L Series Lens
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.