Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 14 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 10:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's your small/take everywhere camera?

SCMedic
Joined Aug 2005
Denver, CO
Sep 14, 2017 10:36 |  #1

I'm looking for a camera to keep with me in my backpack, car, etc for those days where I don't want my gripped 5D4 and lens assortment with me.

Considering a mirrorless option. What are your likes/thoughts/suggest​ions? I'm open to a new brand too.

5D Mark IV, 5D mark III, 50L, 135L II, 17-40L 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 600ex-RT
www.gregfmoore.com (external link)

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Sep 14, 2017 11:08 |  #2

I keep a G15 out of sight in the car trunk at all times in small shoulder bag and carry it almost everywhere even if I have no plans to take any photos (don't want to miss that flying saucer;-)a). By now it isn't worth much, so I don't have to worry about theft from the car.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kf095. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 14, 2017 11:27 |  #3

I switched from FF DSLR in the every day, everywhere bag more than five years ago.
For digital images iPhone does it for now. I need those pictures for work or for goofing on FB or for something practical, like garden shade size info. iPhone also does home video, for kids outside just as good as DLSR rig if not better, but much more easily for sure.

For prints I'm keeping something which doesn't needs battery and spare battery. It was Olympus XA film camera for two years as everyday camera. Then it became inoperative due to electronics two LR44 batteries were still OK. I switched to fully mechanical Leica M4-2 and it was in my bag every day for two years, but it is in service now. So, I re-purchased small Zorki film camera and this one I know how to fix.

If I'll go digital route for everyday dedicated digital camera in addition to iPhone, it would be Ricoh GRII. Size, ergonomics and IQ. Or Leica X, just because I like Leica feel in cameras and Leica lens rendering. But I'm finding film, no electronics, no batteries camera to be most convenient as everyday camera for now. It could be in the bag for three and more weeks and nothing to worry about. And it is FF. :)

You could get simple film P&S and in 2018 it looks like they will start to do Kodak slide film again. I recommend to try it. Different experience, different IQ and philosophy.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

tdlavigne
305 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sep 14, 2017 12:05 |  #4

Depends on the situation. Truth be told if I just need a literal "take everywhere" camera it's going to be my iPhone. If I am going out with the specific intention of taking photos but don't want to lug around a dslr it'll be my Panasonic GX85 instead.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 14, 2017 13:06 |  #5

I use a FinePix S1 as a knock around. It works well but I don't manage to take it everywhere and probably never will. If it's in a backpack I'm often not wearing it. If it's in the car or golf cart I'm somewhere else. Building a disciplined habit would fix those issues but that accomplishment seems unlikely.

As with other posters my real everywhere camera is built into the phone. :-(

Maybe the imaginary new $5,000 Leica smartphone will be the solution.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 14, 2017 13:09 |  #6

1) Galaxy S7 (takes great HDR photos for a quick scene with no processing on my part; has great image stabilization for video; always with me)
2) 5Dc + 35mm F2 IS (or 17-40L), pretty much my defacto, always laying around and always in my bag
3) EOS-M + 22mm F2 STM + 90EX (this goes with me to places where I cannot take my 5D due to physical size, or in a restaurant, park, inside, etc and when I specifically want OTHERS to use the camera too)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380! | Canon 5D Classic Bundle for Sale! $250!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 14, 2017 13:27 |  #7

Only because of the circumstances, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS. I went into a Goodwill store about three weeks ago and saw the camera in excellent shape but marked no battery, no charger and no manual -- $5. I figured it worth the gamble since the wife had an ELPH 100 and from outward appearances the battery and charger were the same. It works fine and you can get some decent stuff considering the 12 MP!

Goodform
34 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sep 14, 2017 13:42 |  #8

My iPhone. If I need a camera while I'm out and about, it will be easiest to grab my phone from my pocket to capture something spur of the moment. Won't have time to snap that flying saucer if I have to go to my car/bag/stroller lol.

Tixeon
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Sep 14, 2017 14:07 |  #9

Canon G5X for me. Image quality is excellent & an all around versatile little camera.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

benji25
Joined Jan 2010
Twin Cities
Sep 14, 2017 14:10 |  #10

X100T looking to possibly sell it for an X80 if that every comes out.

Websiteexternal link
flickrexternal link

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Sep 14, 2017 14:47 |  #11

Olympus XZ-1.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sep 14, 2017 14:48 |  #12

Eos M5 with a 18-150mm lens.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

aezoss
Joined Nov 2013
Sep 14, 2017 15:08 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #18452273 (external link)
Only because of the circumstances, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS. I went into a Goodwill store about three weeks ago and saw the camera in excellent shape but marked no battery, no charger and no manual -- $5. I figured it worth the gamble since the wife had an ELPH 100 and from outward appearances the battery and charger were the same. It works fine and you can get some decent stuff considering the 12 MP!

The wife has a 330HS, our daughter a 340. They take surprisingly good pictures. Much better than my iPhone 6S and equally portable.

My grab n go is a 6D + 50 1.2 or 85 1.8.

Thinking about an RX100 V although $1200 might be a bit pricey for a something I'd use a point & shoot. DPR concluded the hardware is excellent, the menu system is terrible. Ergonomically it could be a challenge.

Lee

SCMedic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2005
Denver, CO
Sep 14, 2017 17:11 |  #14

Thanks guys. I'm kind of in the same boat as far as my iPhone 7 Plus being my defacto go everywhere camera. It works for 99% of what I'd shoot and it's probably a better option than having to pull something else out of a bag and whatnot.

I'm still interested in a mirrorless setup, but hate the idea of more lenses.

5D Mark IV, 5D mark III, 50L, 135L II, 17-40L 70-200 2.8L II, 24-70 2.8L II, 100-400L II, 600ex-RT
www.gregfmoore.com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 14, 2017 17:22 |  #15

Canon S95 goes on business trips with me, when dSLR is too bulky to bring along as an afterthought. But I do want wider FOV, so S110 is on the wish list.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

10,651 views & 5 likes for this thread
What's your small/take everywhere camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.