Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 05:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

iPhone X

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Sep 15, 2017 05:55 |  #1

£999 for a new phone. I think I will stick with my two tin cans and a piece of string.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Sep 15, 2017 06:05 |  #2

Indeed!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
Joined Nov 2012
Northeast Georgia
Sep 15, 2017 06:58 |  #3

DOn't forget about the fact that it will obsolete itself in 3 years. At that point it will so down beyond frustration!

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,354 posts
Joined Jul 2005
The Miami of Canada - Chicago!
Sep 15, 2017 09:01 |  #4

EightEleven wrote in post #18452839 (external link)
DOn't forget about the fact that it will obsolete itself in 3 years. At that point it will so down beyond frustration!

No, it will be obsolete in 12-18 months.

Apple will discontinue all support for it in three years.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 15, 2017 09:38 |  #5

I'm still chuckling at the face recognition failure at the launch. How embarrassing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
53,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Sep 15, 2017 09:41 |  #6

Also, I'm wondering, can't I unlock the phone with a picture of the owners face? Just doesn't seem secure.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 15, 2017 13:12 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #18452904 (external link)
Also, I'm wondering, can't I unlock the phone with a picture of the owners face? Just doesn't seem secure.

it's a 3D sensor uses some 30,000 points of scan to detect the 3d structure of the person. Sure it can be fooled by identical twins perhaps but other then that should be pretty secure. My surface pro uses an infared sensor for face unlock. Doesn't work with a photo. I've tried.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Sep 15, 2017 13:30 |  #8

Keep in mind, as some chuckle and shake their heads an a $999 phone others chuckle and shake their heads at $2000 camera's and lenses..

Bas
Flickrexternal link

john ­ crossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Sep 15, 2017 13:39 |  #9

DutchinCLE wrote in post #18453048 (external link)
Keep in mind, as some chuckle and shake their heads an a $999 phone others chuckle and shake their heads at $2000 camera's and lenses..

Aye, but top-end cameras and lenses are aimed at professional photographers. You don't get professional phone users, do you?

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

DutchinCLE
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2012
Sep 15, 2017 13:46 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #10

not only professional photographers are buying $2000 cameras and lenses. The majority will be amateurs and hobbyists.

Bas
Flickrexternal link

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 15, 2017 14:11 |  #11

john crossley wrote in post #18453055 (external link)
Aye, but top-end cameras and lenses are aimed at professional photographers. You don't get professional phone users, do you?

without my phone I could not perform my profession....

I'm sorry but my phone use at work/home is pretty extensive and in my down time it's convenient to have all the sorts of apps available. Home automation, security, surveillance cameras, financial...

my phone has become more important to me than my laptop or cameras. While I need to stay connected it's very important but also easy to transport and stay charged. Easy to turn off to be disconnected as well.

Without my phone I would not be able to perform my work. The wife and I will upgrade every 2-3 years. Normally it's 3 years for her and 2 for me but the price per month cost of owning the phone is low vs what some people pay for TV service alone!!! For the record... I can watch TV on my phone :)

My Gear Archive

gjl711
53,053 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Sep 15, 2017 14:29 |  #12

john crossley wrote in post #18453055 (external link)
Talley wrote in post #18453076 (external link)
without my phone I could not perform my profession......

I'm with Tally on this one, without my phone, it would be very hard to do my job. The phone has become so integrated in day to day business operations that I always have a spare nearby just in case my primary fails.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Sep 15, 2017 14:54 |  #13

But the question is, do you need the latest and greatest?

I have a Galaxy S7. I see no reason to update this generation or the next. What can a new phone do better that is worth another thousand bucks USD?

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,227 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 15, 2017 14:54 |  #14

mbellot wrote in post #18452884 (external link)
No, it will be obsolete in 12-18 months.

Apple will discontinue all support for it in three years.

No, 5 years minimum. Actually, Apple delivers system and security updates way longer than Google does. Also, critical security updates may not reach most Android devices at all.

I find iPhone X most interesting - most likely will get it to replace my iPhone 6+.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,092 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 15, 2017 19:37 |  #15

Nogo wrote in post #18453101 (external link)
But the question is, do you need the latest and greatest?

I have a Galaxy S7. I see no reason to update this generation or the next. What can a new phone do better that is worth another thousand bucks USD?

I have a Iphone 6 plus... it's what 3 years old. Still original screen and still looks great but mine started ghost touching and so I replaced the screen and didn't help it any. I got my monies worth.

Keeping a phone for 3 years these days means I didn't need the latest and greatest. I felt I got a solid return on my investment. I pre-ordered the 8 plus. I have zero interest in the X and for me it's not worth the premium. Could I of bought a new 7 plus.. sure. But the more memory you get and the faster the processor you get means it will have longer service life. My wife and I pass our 2-3 year old phones off to our kids now that they are old enough to have phones. We will continue this as we move forward. They definitely don't need the latest and greatest.

Eventually apps will stop working for previous phones/IOS versions. I think you can still use a Iphone 5 but there are alot of apps that are limited perhaps. My father in law has an Iphone 5 and still uses it which was released in Q4 of 2012. Already 5 years old and still working just fine on original battery and all.

I will say this though... there is a substantial performance upgrade and everything upgrade from a 5 to an 8. Big jump. Like I said this reminds me of the yearly upgrades back in the early 2000s with laptops. Every year brought out twice the performance. I predict that will taper off sooner or later. One thing for sure Apple sure does love that "fastest ever in an iphone" wording every release cycle... they will continue to make them faster and faster. I see nothing wrong with my 6+ except for the screen quit working. Otherwise I would of kept it another year or two.

Since the 6+ I've felt the phone has everything I "need" and desire nothing more. I just buy the latest to ensure it will have longer use.

My Gear Archive

sponsored links

1,309 views & 7 likes for this thread
iPhone X
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.