Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rangefinder digitals, options?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 25, 2017 08:28 |  #151

MalVeauX wrote in post #18459836 (external link)
Yea, definitely not investing in anything here. I certainly don't buy a camera thinking about its investment qualities. And I totally get that yes there are people who drop cash on the latest flagship release from the big camera makers, pick up the latest versions of the standard and telephoto zooms, and possibly grab a big white and they've easily spent $10k in a heart beat. It's their money, so who cares. Doesn't matter if its business or pleasure. We all make choices on what we are willing to spend on. Some of us probably spend more on coffee, etc, than we do camera gear! I do! Well, terrestrial camera gear that is. And cameras are not all that costly if you compare to other things, like boating, cars, bikes, etc, or just good old travel. And I certainly don't feel the need to make a statement to others with what device/brand I'm using for what I'm doing. My daughter doesn't care if it says Canon, Fuji, Leica.

Very best,

FYI, when getting the x100, I've read that some of the fuji models have phase detect AF in regular focus situations, but contrast detect when it comes to face detection, so tracking with face detection may be unusable. Just something to be aware of, sony does something similar with eye detection, they limit it to AF-s, even though it's still phase detection. Only high end models can do eye + phase detect tracking, and I suspect Fuji may have it setup the same way with their face detect. Lesser sony models will track on face with phase detect, but it's no fun without eye tracking :-)

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 26, 2017 18:52 |  #152

This has to be about the most constructive thread going on PON right now.

It started with a well-considered post and continued from there. Might you all consider running for public office?

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 17, 2017 16:39 |  #153

So I've been sitting on the idea more and more. I came close to buying a Fuji X100S. It kept falling out of stock. Probably for the best. It made me re-evaluate a few things. I'm currently using my 5Dc + 35mm F2 IS a lot for around the house and every day. I'm fine with using it. I would like it to be smaller of course. Less noisy.

This made me return to the idea of a pancake lens. The more I think about it, the more I realize while I like 35mm FOV on full frame, I very often would rather shoot a little wider actually, and simple crop where necessary, but a fast wider angle is probably even more appealing. I know I could go 24mm F1.4 on my 5Dc for cheap (Samyang). But, that's a big lens on a big camera.

So then I went back to the Fuji 18mm F2 pancake lens. The FOV is wider. Probably where I want to be. Still fairly fast at F2. And it's not soldered on. So it changes what Fuji body I should consider. I probably can't do the rangefinder style with the optical viewfinder, and get the 18mm pancake. But maybe I should figure out a compromise.

Any ideas regarding a Fuji body and the 18mm F2? XPRO1 and 18mm F2 basically? Or am I missing a lesser body that would also accomplish the rangefinder/optical appeal?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Oct 17, 2017 17:47 |  #154

MalVeauX wrote in post #18474940 (external link)
I probably can't do the rangefinder style with the optical viewfinder, and get the 18mm pancake.

You can actually. I just did a little research and the X-Pro1 has two different magnification settings in the OVF. Setting it to .37 is wide enough to cover down to 18mm, or you can switch it to .6 but that will only go as wide as 35mm. So yes you can do that.

There's really only two other options as far as I know. You could get either the Ricoh GRii or Fuji x70 (both 18mm on crop sensors) and get an add-on viewfinder like some use on rangefinders, but those viewfinders are strictly mechanical, so you won't know what settings you're using. The only other "small" option would be buying the Voigtlander 28mm f2.8 made for Canon EOS. I don't think a lot of people know about it, but for a little whlie Voigtlander made three pancake lenses for Canon EOS. 40mm f2, 28mm f2.8, and a 20mm f3.5. I haven't hear much about the 28mm, but I've heard amazing things about the 40mm; I'm actually planning on getting one for my Nikon FM2. I can't think of anything else aside from an actual Leica and 28mm lens, which would be insanely expensive.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 17, 2017 18:05 |  #155

Interesting.

I definitely like the idea of the X100S still, but, I can't get away from thinking of going a little wider if possible. Though I do not like the price of the XPRO1+18F2, even used, that's quite a bit compared to the X100S on its own.

At the same time, I know I could easily also put the 28mm F2.8 or 24mm F1.4 on my 5Dc and have the same thing, just in a bigger, noisier package, and end up spending less. But, I don't think I want a manual 24mm F1.4 with a moving kid (would be fine stopped down, but not wide open, not with optical viewfinder as the sole way to focus with that thing on such an ancient camera not really meant for good manual focus). The 28mm F1.8 or 28mm F2.8 would be great. But, big and noisy. Kind of defeats the point.

So it has me going back to wondering if I could survive with the X100S with the 35mm FOV effectively, or, if I should suck it up and consider something like the XPRO1 and consider the 18mm or a 23mm. And then there's the lovely "if I love the system... I can get more lenses later" concept. Which, I do have to at least consider. I don't want to build a 2 system kit right now. But, then again, if my 5Dc bites the dust (which it could at any time), I don't think I want to keep pushing Canon for my day to day, as I'm tired of big stuff for the little things. I'll keep my 1D and telephotos for the outings. But for daily and portrait, I think I can finally consider losing the full frame.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Oct 17, 2017 18:15 |  #156

MalVeauX wrote in post #18474962 (external link)
Interesting.
So it has me going back to wondering if I could survive with the X100S with the 35mm FOV effectively, or, if I should suck it up and consider something like the XPRO1 and consider the 18mm or a 23mm.

But, then again, if my 5Dc bites the dust (which it could at any time), I don't think I want to keep pushing Canon for my day to day, as I'm tired of big stuff for the little things. I'll keep my 1D and telephotos for the outings. But for daily and portrait, I think I can finally consider losing the full frame.

Very best,

There is a wide angle add-on lens for the original X100 that gives you a 28mm equivalent field of view: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ngle_Conversion_Len​s.html (external link)
It's an extra $300, and you would have to use an older model, but that's the only way to get a 28mm field of view with an x100 (there is the same adapter for the x100f but that's a much more expensive setup).

And I totally get what you're saying about the smaller setup. After bring my 7D, 24-105mm, 35mm f2, and a battery grip to Europe and at times walking over 20 miles in a day, I was over it. I sold it all and got an Olympus, and I definitely prefer it. I didn't realize just how heavy everything was until I held my E-M1 and 25mm f1.8 in one hand, and my 7D and 35mm f2 in the other. Much bigger difference that I expected. Having a smaller camera that still delivers great results is the best.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 17, 2017 18:32 |  #157

MalVeauX wrote in post #18474940 (external link)
...Any ideas regarding a Fuji body and the 18mm F2? XPRO1 and 18mm F2 basically? Or am I missing a lesser body that would also accomplish the rangefinder/optical appeal?

Very best,

The only optical Fuji cameras are the X-PRO1 & 2 or the X100 series. If you want the rangefinder style and can use an EVF the X-E2 is also an option.

Personally I love the Fuji 18/2, one of my favourite lenses from their lineup. I use it a lot for day to day shooting and a little for work.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
17 hours ago |  #158

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18453045 (external link)
You said it so my advice would be take the $$$$ you are planning on spending now and save it. Original Leica MM bodies have come down as of late though they are still pricey no doubt. This could come down even more. I learned a hard lesson a long time ago, that if I had all the money I spent on settling I could have bought what i really wanted many times over. Before I bought my first digital Leica I have enough friends that have all different kinds of equipment so I spent some serious with Fuji and Leica M9. Though the fuji was much cheaper, I saved and went for the original MM. No regrets. I now have 4 Leica M bodies. Original MM, M-E, M 262 and the M 10. There is really nothing like a Leica M. Also there are some very good Zeiss glass choices that can get you started.

Interesting. Given my financial situation over the past few years there's no way I could have saved the cash necessary for even a second-hand (digital) Leica but it's a lesson I'm going to keep in mind for the future. I've got no immediate need to buy a new camera or lenses. I do think a Leica would suit my work nicely, though, and they are appealing in so many ways. I don't know when it will be, and most likely a few years from now, but I shall make my next camera a Leica.

| Owain Shaw Photoexternal link |
| Gear | Flickrexternal link |

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
8 hours ago |  #159

I don't think you are going to miss moving kid with 24mm MF lens on 5D. I think, you will miss distortion free portraits.
I really liked 5D with 50L for moving kids. Fast AF and unique camera/lens rendering....

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
8 hours ago |  #160

kf095 wrote in post #18475414 (external link)
I don't think you are going to miss moving kid with 24mm MF lens on 5D. I think, you will miss distortion free portraits.
I really liked 5D with 50L for moving kids. Fast AF and unique camera/lens rendering....

you sure will with a 1.4 lens. Even though DOF isnt that big with a 24 f1.4, you'll miss a lot without focusing aids. DOF is pretty shallow for full body shots of kids.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

Strick
Joined Aug 2007
Katy, TX
7 hours ago |  #161

I have kinda gotten a little lost in this thread but I would just like to add that m4/3 stuff is pretty impressive for the size and price.

You have multiple choices in size, design, and price of the bodies as well as some really great options in lenses. Most lenses are really good, even at the "kit" level, and some pf the primes are not only small but fast and sharp. Add in IBIS in them and you can hand hold at a lower shutter speed so you don't have to crank up the ISO as much as you would think. Plus some these bodies have some impressive tech that gives some great ways to capture a scene.

I have used and own a lot of different cameras (Canon's of all sensor size and mounts, sony aps-c, 1" sensor compacts, and a few that I am forgetting) and the one that so far I can't imagine selling is my m4/3 kit. For vacations, day outings, even as a primary camera system I have found that m4/3 meets the need.

flickr (external link)
www.strickphotography.​com (external link)
www.zoominphoto.com (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Post has been edited 2 hours ago by Spacemunkie.
2 hours ago |  #162

^^ +1

Panasonic GX85 would seem to be an option worth trying.

Seriously, get over the optical viewfinder and sensor size thing and give one a go. If you're into old glass and MF, then using peaking through a decent EVF might change your opinion of them :)

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photosexternal link

sponsored links

3,667 views & 80 likes for this thread
Rangefinder digitals, options?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.