Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 15 Sep 2017 (Friday) 16:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D Mark ii Lens Error

3Honu
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Post has been edited 1 month ago by 3Honu.
Sep 15, 2017 16:10 |  #1

I recently upgraded to 6d mark ii. I have 24-105 lens and a 70-200. I went on a short trip and cranked off a couple hundred photos without issue. After a while I started getting lens error communication code with my 24. I would take a picture, the error code would appear and then I could no longer pictures. But, if I turned the camera off and then back on I could take another photo. But only one photo and then the error code would reappear. I didn't have any issues with the 70-200. I packed it away for a few weeks and then brought them all out again. The problem escalated and the auto focus would not work. I went manual and got the error code again. This time with both lenses. What I don't understand is why the issue took 500 or so shutter activations to appear. AND...what do you think the issue is and how to correct. Thanks in advance

"The greatest reward you can have as a leader is the look of respect. The key to a successful combat leader is to earn respect not because of rank, but because you are a man." - Major Dick Winters

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Sep 15, 2017 17:43 |  #2

Only time I have seen this error is when I did not have the lens fully engaged with the lock. After making sure I had the lens cranked on all the way I never saw the error again. Don't know if this is what happened to you, or not.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 15, 2017 19:31 as a reply to Naturalist's post |  #3

I tried reseating the lenses and this did not help

"The greatest reward you can have as a leader is the look of respect. The key to a successful combat leader is to earn respect not because of rank, but because you are a man." - Major Dick Winters

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,007 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Sep 16, 2017 01:53 |  #4

Try cleaning the lens and body contacts with one drop of isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip.

Mark

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Post has been edited 1 month ago by 3Honu.
Sep 16, 2017 13:15 as a reply to rrblint's post |  #5

Ok, I am feeling a bit stupid. I figured the focus problem out. Total user error. But I am still having the Error 01 issue. Contacts have been cleaned. The error only happens on the 24-105 35mm and above

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 16, 2017 13:30 |  #6

3Honu wrote in post #18453650 (external link)
Ok, I am feeling a bit stupid. I figured the focus problem out. Total user error. But I am still having the Error 01 issue. Contacts have bee cleaned. THe error opnly happens on the 24-105 35mm and above

I've had that happen too many times. I remember going on vacation... my wife wanted me to take some fashion photos of her. I couldn't get my camera to focus..... I was in the middle of typing an PM to one of my friends here when I remembered... I had just set it for back button focusing for the first time.

I felt very stupid. ;).... I think we've all been there.

now... I wish you could figure out what's going on with your 24-105. Have you called the Canon tech team? They are excellent. I've called them a few times and they have been extremely helpful.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Arizona
Sep 16, 2017 13:40 |  #7

3Honu wrote in post #18453650 (external link)
Ok, I am feeling a bit stupid. I figured the focus problem out. Total user error. But I am still having the Error 01 issue. Contacts have been cleaned. The error only happens on the 24-105 35mm and above

Both on the camera and lens contacts?

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 16, 2017 13:40 as a reply to Phoenixkh's post |  #8

Back button. That was the issue. My old camera I used that exclusively. I just switched to this and you'd think my brain died

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 16, 2017 13:42 as a reply to strobe monkey's post |  #9

Yes. Cleaned both lenses contacts and camera contacts.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 16, 2017 14:11 |  #10

24-105 mk I or mk II?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 16, 2017 14:19 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #11

My guess would be MKI as it is pretty old.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 16, 2017 14:27 |  #12

3Honu wrote in post #18453704 (external link)
My guess would be MKI as it is pretty old.

There's your problem. The lens is known for having this error due to a crappy ribbon cable.

Either repair or trash.

Actually you might be able to turn it into a MF lens, not quite sure if that will eliminate the error.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 16, 2017 14:48 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #13

So you think the change from my old camera to my new camera was just coincidental?

3Honu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
Land of Fruit and Nuts
Sep 16, 2017 14:51 |  #14

I'll test it out on another EOS and see. Love the input

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 16, 2017 16:22 |  #15

3Honu wrote in post #18453726 (external link)
So you think the change from my old camera to my new camera was just coincidental?

Probably.

Though it could be that the newer camera is more sensitive to that type problem. Maybe.

This is a notorious problem. Search 24-105 ribbon err 1

sponsored links

10,723 views & 2 likes for this thread
6D Mark ii Lens Error
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.