Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 15:24
Prev/next
Poll"Regarding battery grips, which best describes your style?"
Use battery grip
55.8%
Do not use a battery grip
25.6%
Use a battery grip sometimes
18.6%

43 voters, 43 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Battery Grip vs. Body Only / Your Choice & Style w/ Poll

blindshooter
Joined Aug 2010
Tampa
Sep 19, 2017 10:43 |  #16

Depends on if I want to look "pro" or not.

sponsored links
blindshooter
Joined Aug 2010
Tampa
Sep 19, 2017 10:44 as a reply to post 18455570 |  #17

I like that. You use a grip when using a 1D... ;-)a

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Sep 19, 2017 13:55 |  #18

Back when I owned a battery grip (7D, haven't bought one for my E-M1 yet) I used it for certain occasions, and went without it for other occasions. Usually when I was shooting something serious (paid work, photoshoots, skateboarding) I would have it on. I liked being able to shoot portrait without my arm and elbow getting sore from stretching it. But it added a lot of weight to an already fairly heavy body, so when I had it when I went out with my friends, I never brought it.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 14:09 |  #19

AZGeorge wrote in post #18455195 (external link)
I have grips on my bodies but will likely be removing them. They fit my hands well but I'm beginning to object to the extra weight.

While reading replies, I decided to take the grip off one or both of my 5D Mk iii size bodies to experiment. The first thing that came to mind lifting the removed grip, was it's weight. It's not a lot, but it's not light. I think this is comparable to the "straw that broke the camel's back". How much can a camel carry, and what last pound becomes that straw? But the figure of speech carries a certain wisdom. It's often the last additional fraction of weight that often causes complications.

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18455596 (external link)
I have a grip on both my 80D and my 7D Mark II, I prefer the added weight for stability when shooting with larger lenses like the Sigma 150-600 C or Sigma 50-100 f1.8. I also like the added battery life and the ability to swap batteries without having to take the tripod plate off ... SNIP ... -Joe

Before starting my trial period without the grips, I read your note and double checked my gear. Fortunately my Manfrotto tripod plates don't block the battery door.

I also noticed that:

1. The body slipped into the bag compartment a lot smoother

2. The body sat flatter and more stable when I rested it on my desk for a moment

3. Both bodies seem to hang better at my sides on a Spiderpro holster

4. Cameras not interfering my Lowepro pack lid. Can pack pockets more

5. Surprisingly, I can operate my lens rings and buttons much easier without grips

6. Holding the cameras seems more comfortable w/ body-only

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 19, 2017 14:14 |  #20

blindshooter wrote in post #18455752 (external link)
Depends on if I want to look "pro" or not.

It's apparent large bodies or gripped bodies can appear expensive or pro. But it's also evident that pro lenses are often large enough to make the same statement, especially the 85mm 1/2 or 70-200mm 2.8 ...

With a good number of professionals now switching to smaller bodies like mirrorless Sony, just having a standard Nikon or Canon DSLR body will look bigger by comparison.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 19, 2017 15:44 |  #21

Wait, I didn't know my Leica RF camera has battery grip. No, wait, my Leica M film cameras have no batteries. Wait, no, my Leica digital camera have no battery grip available,
but from film M4-2, if I'm not mistaken, Leica has as big as Leica battery grip for rewind. It looks like two Leica cameras, one at the top of another. Ugly.

Oh! OP must be DSLR user. Bingo! Get it now. :-D I do have DSLR as well, it is handy for quick shots. Two reasons for when to use the grip on DSLR.
Well, first one, is not for DSLRs only. Try to use grip on -10C and colder weather. It makes big difference for how long it will lasts comparing to single battery. It has to be cold enough for not been comfortable to deal with batteries by bare hands. Like Ontario lake shore in January. Well, maybe not, it is so freaking cold where, I could only last ten minutes under cold and humid wind.
And second reason I like to use battery grip is the balance. My tiny Rebel is not good to handle without grip if 16-35 2.8 L or any 70-200L is attached. Battery grip makes it balanced rig to handle.

I'm goofing off...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 19, 2017 18:46 |  #22

kf095 wrote in post #18455989 (external link)
SNIP ... Oh! OP must be DSLR user. Bingo! .. SNIP ... Like Ontario lake shore in January. Well, maybe not, it is so freaking cold where, I could only last ten minutes ... SNIP ... My tiny Rebel is not good to handle without grip if 16-35 2.8 L or any 70-200L is attached. Battery grip makes it balanced rig to handle.

I'm goofing off...

Yes .. especially since the OP includes "Canon DSLR and lenses served me so well". Fortunately, it's not so cold in much of western Oregon where I live. My mother is from Ontario, so I'm familiar with the temps north of border. The first lenses that just happened to be on my two bodies after pulling the grips today were a 16-35mm and 70-200mm like you mentioned. Those are the ones I found more ease with.

But on a serious note, I read that some photographers with larger hands like grips for that reason. So I was surprised that the bodies and lenses handle so well for me without the grips. But I won't get rid of the grips. I still want to do a few complete shoots to see how I feel about the way I change and carry batteries. Normally my pack is next to me, so I won't need a battery in my pocket. Although I did buy a vest to hold a couple lenses and it has two small pockets perfect for camera cards and a couple of batteries.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 20, 2017 01:23 |  #23

I have two 1D IV's.... they have that built-in camera grip. I have to say, they feel much different than adding a grip onto a non-D camera. It's hard to explain: you sort of have to hold one to understand it. The D series cameras just feel right to me. Someday, I might be able to afford the 1D X Mark 2....sometime right before or after the next Olympics when the new D cameras are released. ;)

I have a grip on my new-to-me 6Dc and while it isn't a bad fit, it isn't the same. I'm sort of stuck with the grip at the moment because I purchased the RRS L bracket for use with a 6Dc and battery grip. L brackets aren't cheap so I'll probably just stay with it for a while and see it is worthwhile or not.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

jtmiv
Joined Jan 2013
Harrisburg, PA
Sep 20, 2017 05:15 |  #24

Dear md,

Like several posters I have 1D series bodies so I am accustomed to using a camera with the dimensions of a gripped camera. In addition I shoot mostly telephoto shots in the 400 to 600 MM range and I personally find that having a grip makes a great deal of difference in how the camera handles and balances. It's to the point now that even when I shoot with 50 MM lens the grip stays on my 40D and D300.

One thing I noticed in your post where you said you removed the grips on your cameras is that you now have the ability to pack more in your bag. If you remove a 3/4 pound grip and replace it with something that weighs the same, or in many cases even a little more, I don't see how you gained anything? If you are like me you probably have several items in your bag that you rarely use and you could shed some weight without losing the ability to take most of your photographs. I know I could stand to take a lesson from someone who is very efficient in inventorying and packing their camera bag!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :-)

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 20, 2017 10:45 |  #25

jtmiv wrote in post #18456386 (external link)
One thing I noticed in your post where you said you removed the grips on your cameras is that you now have the ability to pack more in your bag. If you remove a 3/4 pound grip and replace it with something that weighs the same, or in many cases even a little more, I don't see how you gained anything? If you are like me you probably have several items in your bag that you rarely use and you could shed some weight without losing the ability to take most of your photographs. I know I could stand to take a lesson from someone who is very efficient in inventorying and packing their camera bag!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :-)

I've been fidgeting to tuck my light meter, trigger remote or color checker passport card. With extra space, it will be easier to lay them on top of one camera or the other.

More along those lines.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 06, 2017 08:38 |  #26

It's been a few weeks now, and I'm getting used to the bodies without the grips. The grips are stored in a drawer just in case, but it looks like I'll continue going grip-less for now.

The time I notice not having grips most is putting my camera onto a tripod because of where I grabbed the grip.

I bought an extra lens, so the bag weight is near equal or slightly less without the two grips.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,911 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Nick5. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 10, 2017 08:58 |  #27

Went full time grip with old 7D's eight years ago and continue to this day with both 5D Mark III's Gripped.
Adding a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II or the 100-400 L IS to my Arsenal, the grip disperses the weight of the lens. A counter balance.
I tend to shoot a ton of images in Portrait Mode. Shoot a Wedding or Architectural City scrapes all day and your body will thank you for the grip. Look at your self in the mirror with your camera in Portrait Mode. With camera gripped put your finger on the Body Shutter and then put finger on the shutter on the grip. Notice how in Body Shutter your right hand is next to your left Eye and elbow above right eye. To do this you also incorporate shoulder movement.
With a gripped body your right hand is in the same position triggering your shutter either on the body or the grip. More ergonomic and less stress on the body.
Also while looking in the mirror and shooting in Portrait Mode, see how your body curves, formed a letter C with shutter on Camera body as opposed to Shutter on Grip Shutter. That "C" Curve with hip thrown to your right will cause stress on your body overtime. Repetitive awkward motions will take its toll on your body over time.
For me personally, the 5D Mark III body alone sits in a spot in my palm that hits that one nerve causing pain in my hand as well. In less than 5 minutes.
Being a former Collegiate athlete and supplying the Physical Therapy industry for over 35 years, knowing how to keep the body from harmful repetitive stress is crucial.
Preventitive Medicine.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Ah-keong.
Oct 11, 2017 01:59 |  #28

I hope all future D-SLR design with integrated grips like the 1D-X and the buttons and dials are mirrored exactly in place when shooting in vertical orientation.

In addition, add another tripod mount when shooting in vertical orientation so that there is no need to get L-brackets.  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Lumens
374 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Oct 11, 2017 07:44 |  #29

I purchased my Fuji XT-1 then XT-2 mostly for the size & weight factors. This system is just SO MUCH easier to use than the full DSLR and image quality is quite comparable to the DSLR. But when I am shooting wildlife with my 100-400 lens adding the Battery Grip actually balances the system better. When street shooting with the 28 mm pancake the system without the battery grip is more the size of a point & shoot and does not attract attention.

Sometimes I call my system the "transformer", because it does transform from a point & shoot to a DSLR Beast based on how I set it up for what purpose.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

sponsored links

8,631 views & 11 likes for this thread
Battery Grip vs. Body Only / Your Choice & Style w/ Poll
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.