Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 17 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 21:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flash reflection from pool photo

mgnike1
370 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Texas
Sep 17, 2017 21:27 |  #1

Hello POTN members! I have an upcoming swim team photo to take at our local aquatic center. Last time I took a swim team photo of my swim team I had reflection from the flash bouncing off the water onto my swimmers. Is there a specific way I should be using my flash or use my flash at all? Thanks in advance for your tips!

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Sep 17, 2017 22:37 |  #2

mgnike1 wrote in post #18454539 (external link)
Hello POTN members! I have an upcoming swim team photo to take at our local aquatic center. Last time I took a swim team photo of my swim team I had reflection from the flash bouncing off the water onto my swimmers. Is there a specific way I should be using my flash or use my flash at all? Thanks in advance for your tips!

Angle of incidence. Pay attention to it.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,302 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sep 17, 2017 23:36 |  #3

Get into the pool or longer lens from water level.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

F2Bthere
703 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Sep 18, 2017 00:42 |  #4

A polarizer might help.

Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, as mentioned, is helpful. One consideration is, water moves, so although it will generally help, it isn't perfectly simple.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Texas
Sep 18, 2017 08:16 as a reply to dmward's post |  #5

I will be using a Canon speedlight 600RT. Do you suggest I point head of flash towards ceiling and not at subjects? Just making sure. Thanks!

windpig
Chopped liver
14,551 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Post has been edited 29 days ago by windpig.
Sep 18, 2017 08:20 |  #6

even if you point it at the ceiling there still may be flash reflection unless you flag the flash head.

http://www.iphotocours​e.com ...bounce-cards-and-flags-2/ (external link)

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Texas
Sep 18, 2017 08:22 as a reply to windpig's post |  #7

Can you explain "flag" the flash head please? Thanks

windpig
Chopped liver
14,551 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Sep 18, 2017 08:25 |  #8

check out the link in my post I added. You want to block the flash from hitting the water, so you need to put something between the light and the pool. A simple card with a rubber band works.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Texas
Sep 18, 2017 08:46 as a reply to windpig's post |  #9

I looked at the link and saw the self-made flag card, impressive. My speedlight has a similar card that pops out of the flash head and is somewhat the same concept but smaller in size, is it the same effect or different?

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Sep 18, 2017 09:21 |  #10

I don't completely understand the problem you experienced but here's a photo I took. I had two bare speedlights on stands to my left and right and set to a wide zoom and did not have any problems.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Oxy/Swim-Dive/Oxy-Swim-Team-Photos-2015-16/i-m9MhMzJ/0/6a7192aa/XL/Combined%20Swim-3-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...%20Swim-3-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link)

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Sep 18, 2017 09:35 |  #11

bpalermini wrote in post #18454833 (external link)
I don't completely understand the problem you experienced but here's a photo I took. I had two bare speedlights on stands to my left and right and set to a wide zoom and did not have any problems.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...%20Swim-3-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link)

Bob, nice example of group lighting in or out of the water.
The OP's initial post suggests that the light was bouncing into the subject causing unwanted highlights. That suggests that the light was skimming the water while your angle of view relative to the water is much higher. Which is probably the best suggestion. Get higher.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 18, 2017 09:50 |  #12

mgnike1 wrote in post #18454539 (external link)

I'd put it on the ceiling and lighten everything up.

Can you post an example that you think shows your problem specifically (ie, a photo of yours where light reflected off water onto the subject in a negative way)?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mgnike1
THREAD ­ STARTER
370 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Texas
Sep 18, 2017 11:18 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #13

I will try to locate that image I took a couple of years ago, I may have deleted it when I cleaned up some of my files.

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Sep 20, 2017 06:40 |  #14

bpalermini wrote in post #18454833 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

That looks great.

sponsored links

5,804 views & 3 likes for this thread
Flash reflection from pool photo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.