Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 14:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I've been volunteered to shoot wedding

pbrimages
193 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Sep 20, 2017 21:27 |  #31

bpalermini wrote in post #18456625 (external link)
Your wife does not volunteer you for things? Lucky guy, or, you have a much different relationship than I do.

I know you did not ask me directly. However since the question has a general application, I will answer:

No, my wife does not, under any circumstances, volunteer me for anything. She asks. I also do not volunteer her for anything either. It's called common respect.

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

sponsored links
texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 20, 2017 22:52 |  #32

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Be prepared for someone, or several to be upset that you didn't get this or that shot or they're dissatisfied over something else .... quality, quantity, you were too pushy, not assertive enough, etc.

At the end of the day, when it comes to images, you'll get what you get, so the most important piece of advice I can offer is to manage expectations. I remember hearing something like this at an auction.... "Everything here is guaranteed not to work. If you buy it, get it home and it happens to, then all the better."

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Osa713.
Sep 20, 2017 23:13 |  #33

Contrary to what you will read on the internet if you are being "pushed" into this situation you family will not have high expectations.

1. Go to the venue asap (church & reception) to get an idea of the layout preferably the same time you will be shooting.

2. Make a shot list for the day. Research wedding shot list online and have a plan.

3. If possible reach out to local photogs and ask to ask for advice. You will be surprised how nice people are.

4. Practice, practice, practice. Watch online tutorials so you can get an idea of what your strengths and weaknesses are. I suggest to practice also with the different focus modes on your camera so you can choose the right one per the situation(moving subjects, static subjects)

5. Look to capture moments, expressions and remember to "fill the frame" in all of your shots.

6. Have fun, if this is for family there shouldn't be added stress.

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Post has been edited 1 month ago by jimmy_beaner.
Sep 21, 2017 05:15 |  #34

I should probably attach a couple examples of shots I've done in the past. Most of these are 5+ years old, none with flash, etc. A couple of the wedding examples I was not the photographer, just taking some pictures. In fact, the one wedding I never got out of my seat (the other was much less formal so it wasn't a big deal). I feel I have gotten better since these images. These are saved from my Facebook as I'm not sure where the originals are.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

I now know better how I could've separated them from the rather bright background. And ultimately, that's what I seek to get out of taking pictures... improvement of my understanding of the dynamics of photography and improvement of my ability to manipulate the scenes with that knowledge.

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 21, 2017 05:16 |  #35

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 21, 2017 05:16 |  #36

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 21, 2017 05:17 |  #37

HOSTED PHOTO
HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 21, 2017 05:18 |  #38

HOSTED PHOTO

And ok, this one has flash.. lol.
HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 21, 2017 12:06 |  #39

You shouldn't be buying stuff or spending money on an unpaid gig, IMNSHO. You didn't need that new gear to sell them on your current body of work, and depending on timeline you may or may not have time to get familiar with it before the gig. You mentioned borrowing some nice gear from a friend. What happens if that borrowed gear takes a beer bath on the dance floor or tumble down some steps during the gig? This stuff happens at weddings. It could happen on your 12th wedding, or you could have two or three catastrophic incidents on your first. Weddings are full contact, high pressure, no holds barred, and very psychologically rewarding. I hope you've done the math on all that.

Unless I missed it: I'm surprised no one has mentioned a contract. You should have a contract for a few reasons:
1. A model release so you (or your subsequent business interests--say you incorporate down the road) can use the photos on your website. That may feel ostentacious now, but what if you get a kick ass image and then later you find out they're more private and get iffy about you using a prized image that they paid nothing for an you worked your butt off to make?
2. Clarification of expectations. You're not a professional, have no experience doing this, and don't have a full array of professional gear, such as cameras with dual card slots. Make that abundantly clear and have them initial every page before signing at the end.
If you wont see them before the gig, email them your finished contract and make sure they're clear on it. That will be there time to object before you present it to them at the day of the event for signature.
I'm sure there's other things but I'm too lazy to think of them now.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of The Force." -Darth Vader.

Therefore: don't obsess about your gear, and think about ways to do things simply and beautifully. For group photos you'll probably do best finding open, clean (undappled) shade with uncomplicated backgrounds. Adding light for groups >3 gets complicated and is usually better done with a strobe or two. A large window will look great for bride and groom getting-ready portraits.

have fun!

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 21, 2017 12:32 |  #40

You missed it... a contract has been mentioned at least twice.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

jimmy_beaner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Des Moines
Sep 21, 2017 12:36 as a reply to FarmerTed1971's post |  #41

Some of the things you've mentioned have been made abundantly clear to her as well. They will be in the contract. I have a model release ready to go and we've discussed this. I did link some actual wedding pictures I've taken before so it isn't like I've never experienced it from a picture taking perspective... I've just never been in the role of "wedding photographer". I have also mentioned I would love a dual slot camera. I don't have access to one nor have I used one to the point of being comfortable on it. I'll get one some day when I can justify its purchase for myself.

Canon 7D
Canon 35 f/1.4 L,

Riversifu
Joined Feb 2011
Oregon
Sep 21, 2017 13:17 |  #42

There is some great advice above. I think I would add a couple things. I would not use camera setups or settings that I am not used to shooting with, under pressure that can drive you crazy. I learned that one the hard way. I changed the autofocus buttons around and made myself crazy even though I now like them better in the new config.

I bought the black rapid double strap, it is great but also drives me crazy, I have not used it. I do have my son as an assistant and second shooter and keep my third camera close by but don't carry it.

I have a number of lenses and love them all but my goto lens is the 70-200, then the 24-70 followed by the 16-35 it is an f4 which has not been a problem most of the time. I could do everything with those three lenses but I bring an 85 1.2 just because I love it but it is used not a whole lot. I also use a 100mm macro for rings and stuff but the wide angle works for that as well.

I shoot with the 580 flash and a couple pocket wizards, I built a light stick on a cheap monopod and my son becomes my voice actuated light stand. I usually shoot that manual and he knows how far to be from the subjects. That has been a savior. I can direct him wherever I want and get some great photos that way. I hate messing with light stands.

I shoot pretty much photojournalist style so I like to keep moving.

The biggest compliment I had had in my opinion is that no one seems to notice me at a wedding. I think small and try to be as inconspicuous as possible even though I am a pretty big guy. Definitely stay out of the way.

I never use flash during the ceremony and I have been in some really dark churches but find a way to make it work. Like said above, process many in black and white. However, I can shoot at 6400 without much noise if the exposure is right and you don't have to push it.

If you do need to shoot high iso NIK software has a program called define that does a great job taking out the noise, the default setting is great for most situations. If you don't have it NIK is free since Google bought them out.

Good luck and have a lot of fun. Take the above advice to stay hydrated and wear comfortable clothes also I too would have your wife be your assistant. :)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 21, 2017 13:34 |  #43

The double BR strap drives you crazy? Why?

I absolutely love mine. I can shoot for 6+ hours with heavy gear and it is a dream.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Sep 21, 2017 13:44 |  #44

I personally don't use ANY straps or slings at a wedding. I like a battery grip for the extra surface area to grab onto and I've usually got two hands on my camera at all times. I hate the feeling of $2-5,000 dangling around my body esp when I'm walking through doorways, kneeling or laying down, etc. I keep a backup in my camera bag. The downside of this system is that I change lenses more, so I need to get my camera cleaned more. Its my bad habit in life, but overall works well for me.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

FFFCFF
Joined Dec 2016
Warsaw/Poland
Sep 21, 2017 13:53 |  #45

What I could add? If You would like to buy some new eqipment it is best moment to have a good explanation to Your wife :-P:lol:. Wish You to make some good shots.

Still learning English. Sorry for language bugs.

sponsored links

2,223 views & 43 likes for this thread
I've been volunteered to shoot wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.