Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 19 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 22:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RED channel not handled well in A7Rii

the.forumer
401 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Sep 19, 2017 22:25 |  #1

Anyone feels the same way? I've used 5d2,5d3,6d,a6300,a7rii so far. Canon handles REDs very well, whereas I find that for Sony, it seems to clip RED very easily (despite being in RAW and the histogram doesn't show it as clipping). I've tried playing around with the HSL levels but it's still a RED mess with lack of good detail. Is there anything I'm not doing right?

EMBED PREVENTED, HEAVYWEIGHT DOWNLOAD: 4.31 MB
https://i.imgur.com/sE​mhzmz.jpg

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,145 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 22:29 |  #2

It's because canon knows red... they use a red ring on the L glass and their logo is red. Sony is color blind they are just black and white

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,720 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Sep 19, 2017 22:38 |  #3

It's one of the only reasons I can't make the jump. Skin tones and reds are something Canon really shines at.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,145 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 19, 2017 22:45 as a reply to Chet's post |  #4

ya and when you have kids that lean on the red side of tint on their skin tones and/or lips etc it makes a difference.

truthfully I have a huge secret love affair for sony cameras and would be all sony right now but they fail in two areas... long glass and colors.

I still think it'll take about 8-10 years and we'll all be mirrorless then.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Sep 26, 2017 19:49 |  #5

is there anything we can do in lightroom to make it handle reds as well as Canon does? So far, this is the only thing that I cannot replicate against Canon colors. any suggestion will be welcome.

here's another sample that shows Sony crushing reds despite having more than enough DR in this shot.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://i.imgur.com/9C​ySAwf.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Sep 27, 2017 05:37 |  #6

the.forumer wrote in post #18461069 (external link)
is there anything we can do in lightroom to make it handle reds as well as Canon does? So far, this is the only thing that I cannot replicate against Canon colors. any suggestion will be welcome.

here's another sample that shows Sony crushing reds despite having more than enough DR in this shot.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://i.imgur.com/9C​ySAwf.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Get a good quality colour checker and build your own camera profile? Or have you tried that already?How close to clipping is the red channel if you actually look at the RAW data in something like RAW Digger?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

artsf
Joined Sep 2015
Sep 27, 2017 10:38 |  #7

It’s not just the red channel, other colors have issues on A7rii including green and orange. All of the above are fundamental to skin tones. I put a lot of effort in trying to make the system work for me but due to the dreadful raw colors and the amount of time spent tuning them out and still coming up short of what my 5div does SOOC with no effort at all, I gave up on Sony for now. For family, newborn, wedding style portaiture, IMO, it is a lot of effort tuning the colors with no single profile working well. Colors, AWB, highlights are all off on A7rii, IME. On top of that, its files don’t respond well to Color Checker.

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Sep 28, 2017 04:32 as a reply to artsf's post |  #8

Talley;
I find hard to take you seriously with this cheerfull avatar.
Just saying...

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Sep 28, 2017 06:00 |  #9

Ive read other people say capture one is better than LR for sony when it comes to color.
Never used it when i had a sony.
But tried it now for fuji and do notice a slight improvement .. however not convinced its worth 300 bucks.. luckily for sony users its under $100 (70 iircc)
Thought it was worth mentioning

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,134 views & 3 likes for this thread
RED channel not handled well in A7Rii
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.