Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 20 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 20:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Blu Ray still viable for image archives?

Deardorff
104 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Sep 20, 2017 20:12 |  #1

I know many use separate hard drives for storage. I have a few and use them and will end up with more as I go on.
Are Blu-Ray discs still viable as another media for image archiving? A physical/tangible disc stored in a good fireproof/waterproof safe so there is an alternative that won't be hit by an EMP or a major solar storm that wipes much of the electrical storage.

I know finding a new reader after an event might not be easy but could keep a portable one with drivers on the physical disc with the rest so I could use it once computers were up and running again.

Viable, or not these days?

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,367 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Post has been edited 2 months ago by gjl711.
Sep 20, 2017 21:15 |  #2

Yes and no. Also, Blu-Ray is not susceptible to EMP and if we do have a EMP strong enough to wipe out a drive, then lost images is going to be the least of your problems. :)

As to media, regular BluRay disks do not have a very long shelf life. Some say 5 years or less. If you invest in archival media then you are safer for a lot longer. However, archival medial is more expensive. A quick peek on Amazon shows a 15 pack of archival disks runs $67. To back up one TB, you need 40 disks, or three packs. That's $201 in disks. I can buy several 1TB hard drives for the same cost.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tim
Light Bringer
50,868 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 21, 2017 15:00 |  #3

25GB is too small to bother for me. I use 4TB hard drives.

Also, there's no such thing as fireproof. Offsite is essential.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,367 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Sep 21, 2017 15:10 |  #4

tim wrote in post #18457299 (external link)
25GB is too small to bother for me. I use 4TB hard drives.

Also, there's no such thing as fireproof. Offsite is essential.

There are the 100g disks but they are very expensive. a 5 pack runs $88 so to backup a 1tb drive, you are liking at $176. Right now on Amazon you can get a 1tb WD black passport for $46. I would rather have four passports as backup then BR disks I think.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 21, 2017 15:14 |  #5

I would think BluRay would be a pretty expensive and limited and slow option for actual archival of images.

Pick a media that will handle your requirements and encase it something that protects from what you don't want to risk. That will be more viable than some disks.

True backup is offsite. Have a mirror of everything in a cloud hosted on another side of the planet

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

456 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blu Ray still viable for image archives?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.