Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 08:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to check a used 14mm 2.8 before buying?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 22, 2017 08:19 |  #1

I don't normally buy used lenses, and especially one that is known for such variety in QC... but that could happen buying new anyway too.

So how do I actually check the lens to make sure it's "good enough" - what benchmarks would I use?

I recall hearing about uneven focusing across the frame and the distortion (but not sure if the distortion differs across copies?)

Many thanks! This lens looks harder to buy than I thought...

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 22, 2017 08:31 |  #2

I don't think you'd be able to tell on an LCD on the camera, especially stopped down.

You'd really need to pixel peep on a monitor to see it most likely.

Maybe wide open (F2.8) and minimum focus distance and then compare corners on LCD at highest magnification?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 22, 2017 08:52 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18457763 (external link)
I don't think you'd be able to tell on an LCD on the camera, especially stopped down.

You'd really need to pixel peep on a monitor to see it most likely.

Maybe wide open (F2.8) and minimum focus distance and then compare corners on LCD at highest magnification?

Very best,

Hmm, could also ask them to send me a sample shot... just of a wall with detail on it? To check evenness throughout frame?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 22, 2017 08:53 |  #4

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18457779 (external link)
Hmm, could also ask them to send me a sample shot... just of a wall with detail on it? To check evenness throughout frame?

Brick wall or tree foliage at F2.8 and F16 should show something if there's something. Just don't misjudge distortion for out of focus.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Sep 27, 2017 14:08 |  #5

I'd suggest to just buy the Rokinon variety 14mm 2.8 brand new from reputable store. Return for new if needed.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 27, 2017 20:34 |  #6

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18461584 (external link)
I'd suggest to just buy the Rokinon variety 14mm 2.8 brand new from reputable store. Return for new if needed.

Why do you recommend the more-expensive rokinon if they're all just rebadges? What's the difference in buying the namebrand?

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Sep 27, 2017 20:40 |  #7

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18461812 (external link)
Why do you recommend the more-expensive rokinon if they're all just rebadges? What's the difference in buying the namebrand?

I mean...buy any name, just make it new.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 27, 2017 20:53 |  #8

Brick wall, make sure you are set up parallel and about 8-10 feet away. Check each corner as compared to the middle.

Checking on the screen was plenty for me to see trouble in a potential purchase so I declined. It was craingslist/in person though.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

257 views & 1 like for this thread
How to check a used 14mm 2.8 before buying?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.