Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 22 Sep 2017 (Friday) 14:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Newborn photography how to?

Rimol
56 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Sep 22, 2017 14:50 |  #1

Hi
my 2. son is a week old now and i'm about to take some photographs of him this weekend.
However i've never done this kinde og photo's before and i really dont have much cute stff like baskets and so on to help me with. I'm thinking to use a carpet my son is going to lay down at.

I got a 7D with a Sigama 10-20mm, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 and Sigma 24-70 2.8, got two youngnuo speedlites with remote too.

Any tips how i should set up the pictures? should i use the speedlites?

Thanks for any good tip :)

Canon Eos 7d Gripped, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. 2x Yongnuo 560 III

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 27, 2017 09:02 |  #2

Do it with love. Baskets and else is total crap, IMO. Do it with love to the son, not playing dolls with him. Kids are not for carpets, they are for parents bodies. Skin to skin.

Do it as close as possible and with plenty of light. 70mm F8 and flash will do it.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 19 days ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 27, 2017 09:33 |  #3

Heya,

Babies don't like to be cold and don't like to be stressed out.

If you want cute newborn photos, they're best done when they're sleepy after feeding, cozy and warm, wrapped up, etc.

Holding them in weird positions, putting them near naked on a surface makes them really cold really fast, when they're hungry they fuss, and when they're just left to themselves they are generally not happy either. Baby photos look nice, but they're actually the opposite of what babies actually want and prefer (ie, warm, bundled up, eating, touching skin, safe).

I do baby photos with people in their homes, with the parents, and I try to just capture where the baby is comfortable, post-feed, napping where possible. I don't do the baskets and other silly props. But I know some people adore that stuff. Doing kids is really hard because when they're not happy, scared, cold, fussy, it's over and you will lose hours of time to that. So I try to plan it around post-feed nap time, and I use the most comfortable settings for baby (ie, on mom, dad, etc, bundled, etc). I avoid the naked in a basket. Kids really do not like that. The pictures are cute, but they're hard and the kids really do not enjoy that process.

I did the cute stuff in the past, but these days, I just try to do what I can to get comfortable moments in their homes.

Ex (nothing special, but kinda makes the point): baby is bundled, warm and touching mom. Happy baby. Look at that face. Money!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7261/13450064093_8e1574e662_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mux6​sM] (external link)IMG_3565 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Use the 24-70.
Lighting is great to smooth things out.
Kids skin can take tons of hard light, so don't be shy with the speedlites.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 19 days ago by DaviSto.
Sep 27, 2017 09:50 |  #4

kf095 wrote in post #18461361 (external link)
Do it with love. Baskets and else is total crap, IMO. Do it with love to the son, not playing dolls with him. Kids are not for carpets, they are for parents bodies. Skin to skin.

I could not agree more. I find most of the saccharine sweet photographs that present babies like toy dolls in baskets and other contrivances really off-putting. I know that it is what appears to be very much in demand by parents but I don't understand why.

If you think ahead to what the baby might really value when they grow older (even actually old, as we all hope we will), it will be pictures held in their mother's or father's arms or with their siblings. This is the stuff that can actually matter. And the same goes for the parents, too.

Try to catch eye contact.

Rimol
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Oct 13, 2017 18:03 |  #5

thanks for the tips :) im going to try to capture some of those moments as you mentioned,
maybe haveing the camera just laying around and be ready to shoot should be smart :)

Canon Eos 7d Gripped, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. 2x Yongnuo 560 III

466 views & 3 likes for this thread
Newborn photography how to?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.