Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 23 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 03:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sony RX10 mk IV share your thoughts, interest, images.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 23, 2017 03:20 |  #1

The RX10iv has been announced and pre-orders have begun.
Anybody in?

Last summer in Panama I was shooting a hummingbird in flight with an RX100v and thought it only a matter
of time before that sensor and the AF/AF-tracking makes its way into an RX10 series body. That time is now
and I'm fully jumping on board.

Years ago I owned the RX10ii and thought it outstanding except the focal length, AF/AF tracking, and buffer.
The RX10iii took care of the focal length but the other problems still existed. The iv changes all of that.

The only thing I wish Sony had added is a second card slot....the RX10 series bodies are easily big enough. For years
I never had a card fail but last week in Yellowstone a $220 Lexar 2000x UHS-ii failed, wouldn't read or wright and could
not be formatted, so it does happen.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
wesjr
Joined May 2005
St. Augustine Beach, Florida
Sep 24, 2017 09:06 |  #2

Robert I'm all in also. Will add a RX10 IV to my arsenal asa. Finally a better 4K video machine. I own a Lumix ZS100 and really like it. Can't wait to go Zeiss 24-600mm. Got to love Sony sensors. Want to use it as an all around B camera.

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine, FL

" Come to the light of things, Let nature be your teacher. "

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MedicineMan4040. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 05:43 as a reply to wesjr's post |  #3

Woohoo for you!
In a way I feel like I've been using part of it in the RX100v.
I shot the Red Canyon in Utah last week and was preparing to post the image at FredMiranda, me
thinking how well the A7Rii did with the FE12-24mm lens, only to realize looking at EXIF that the image
was taken with my all the time in the pocket RX100v ha!
I'm just glad the RX10iv's sensor is based off the RX100v's!
Couple that sensor with the stellar RX10iii's lens and it just has to be a winner.

I'm going to call this camera my 'I don't know' camera.
How many times I've carried a backpack full of kit for all possibilities only to get back to the car
with nothing on the card and sore joints the next day.

Forgot to add Charlie, maybe next time in St.Augustine we can give BIF a run for the money with this
body ;)

flickr (external link)

wesjr
Joined May 2005
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by wesjr. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 25, 2017 06:31 as a reply to MedicineMan4040's post |  #4

The secret to me with Sony is their willingness to bring groundbreaking technology to other cameras i.e. A9 AF to RX10 IV. Have a Lumix ZS100 with a 1" sensor so I believe a Zeiss 24-600 mm f/2.4-4 lens matched to a Sony 1" sensor will be killer.

Met Joe Brady this spring at the PhotoFest here in St. Augustine and he told me the new RX10 would be killer. He's a Sony Artisan of Life Robert.

Can't wait to shoot BIF with the IV. Will start doing more 4K video with the RX10. Have done a limited amount with my Canons and the Lumix ZS100.

Feel the IV will make me want to shoot 4K much more. I do prefer still imagery.

Take care.

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine, FL

wesjr
Joined May 2005
Sep 25, 2017 15:15 as a reply to wesjr's post |  #5

Just preordered Robert. Not sure when it will ship. Do you know?

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine, FL

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 27, 2017 06:12 as a reply to wesjr's post |  #6

Charlie I think Oct. 17th.
Lot's of discussion on the 10iv at DPreview.
https://www.dpreview.c​om ...ny-cyber-shot-dsc-rx10-iv (external link)

flickr (external link)

DMax82
Joined Jan 2008
Home Again (Nashville)
Sep 27, 2017 08:03 |  #7

Man, I would love one of these, but just can't justify the cost. I love bridge cameras - took a Canon S3is around the world with me before I could afford a DSLR. At some point down the road I'm sure I'll ditch all of my other equipment for a camera like this though. Might look into an older version since I mostly shoot landscapes and the AF and other stuff isn't too important to me.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.
My blog about becoming a father for the first time - The Terrified Dad (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Oct 08, 2017 00:23 |  #8

The RX10 IV would be the perfect camera for me in so many ways. Does the aperture still jump up past f2.8 after 100mm?

After the outlay for the a99ii, I can't justify it though. For half the price, though, I've seen Mk III bodies selling since the IV announcement.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 08, 2017 05:42 |  #9

Mickey I'm trying to add one because of the what if factor.
Even on this last trip we had a couple of hikes where I'd carry a body and several lenses for just in case; but came back
with nothing but soreness the next day (yep, even Sony kit weighs up after a few miles)....so in the future when I just don't
know I'll labor the 10iv and be happier the next day even if I don't get anything.

I feel like I already know this camera-been shooting the RX100v for over a year now--so the limitations of the sensor are
known to me. The AF should be a9-like but I've already read that there is some EVF lag....but I bet if one dials it down from
24fps to 10fps that just might disappear all together.

I was also just looking at a chart comparing all sensor sizes ....since my daily everywhere carry is the Oly M1ii I'll be very interested
in seeing how the larger mFT sensor fairs ~or vice versa~ to the 10iv. Plus I never had the 10iii but everyone raves about the lens.

Well should know something in a couple of weeks.

flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Post has been edited 1 month ago by mickeyb105.
Oct 08, 2017 07:06 |  #10

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18468271 (external link)
Mickey I'm trying to add one because of the what if factor.
Even on this last trip we had a couple of hikes where I'd carry a body and several lenses for just in case; but came back
with nothing but soreness the next day (yep, even Sony kit weighs up after a few miles)....so in the future when I just don't
know I'll labor the 10iv and be happier the next day even if I don't get anything.

I feel like I already know this camera-been shooting the RX100v for over a year now--so the limitations of the sensor are
known to me. The AF should be a9-like but I've already read that there is some EVF lag....but I bet if one dials it down from
24fps to 10fps that just might disappear all together.

I was also just looking at a chart comparing all sensor sizes ....since my daily everywhere carry is the Oly M1ii I'll be very interested
in seeing how the larger mFT sensor fairs ~or vice versa~ to the 10iv. Plus I never had the 10iii but everyone raves about the lens.

Well should know something in a couple of weeks.

It seems like the RX10iv would be an amazing piece of kit for your adventures if (and this is a big if!) you can get that AF where you want it. Maybe dialing back the FPS will help in that regard as perhaps it would the blackout? There was a video hands-on of the camera, done by a guy subbing in for Tony Northrup, and he had some trouble nailing a falcon flying towards him at close range. I am not sure that's something to worry about, but it was really the only time I saw the AF falter.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=nU8F0IUGHRM (external link)

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 10, 2017 03:20 as a reply to mickeyb105's post |  #11

Mickey I watched that video (more than twice), and in that video the video of a hawk flying toward him (to me very impressive video), and then the darker hawk flying toward him while he was getting still images. Hard to explain.

In the video starting at 2:39 all the way to hawk landing the AF never falters. I stopped the playback at 2:44 and thought what an incredible frame that would be to harvest as a still shot. Then I was thinking the 10iv is actually getting more than 4K info/compressing into 4K with no bining, and thought the frame grab would be just outrageous.

Then the next hawk series, which I think is still the same lighter colored hawk. The photographer begins out of focus and the camera every now and then obtains focus. My best guess is that the photographer is zooming while trying to AF/AF-track=something the 10iv cannot do. Lesson for me, stop pushing down the shutter button when zooming in or out and begin again after zooming has stopped and focus has been re-aquired.

In this second hawk series once the hawk gets closer (opposite what a poor AF would do near MFD) all the shots look good, maybe by then the photographer had quit with the power zoom?

The last hawk, the real dark one is worse. He still begins out of focus, maybe he was late getting the green dancing squares on the bird before take off, worse maybe he was trying to acquire focus while zooming. Once the bird is close (real real close) ..and me thinking zooming has stopped....the shots are all in focus (though at this point not many frames.

Conclusion. The guy wielding the camera is maybe a video guy? New camera in his hands? Not realizing you can't zoom and keep AF-tracking?

In the end I'm not expecting 1DXii or a9 performance! Hehe :) Truthfully just living up to Magic Johnson level but I bet the 10iv gets into the everyday carry sling.

The biggest issue I see Mickey, and shooting an a99ii you can understand this, is detail and IQ. Those close up shots once the bird has landed looks great to me. The images Gordon Laing has posted on his pre-review of the 10iv show a lot of lacking feather detail. So I temper my expectations (a lot ).

Regardless the 10iv will be going to Conowingo....after I get a keeper or two with the a9 (and hey that's not for certain), then I'll play with the little man.

flickr (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Oct 10, 2017 11:32 |  #12

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18469506 (external link)
Mickey I watched that video (more than twice), and in that video the video of a hawk flying toward him (to me very impressive video), and then the darker hawk flying toward him while he was getting still images. Hard to explain.

In the video starting at 2:39 all the way to hawk landing the AF never falters. I stopped the playback at 2:44 and thought what an incredible frame that would be to harvest as a still shot. Then I was thinking the 10iv is actually getting more than 4K info/compressing into 4K with no bining, and thought the frame grab would be just outrageous.

Then the next hawk series, which I think is still the same lighter colored hawk. The photographer begins out of focus and the camera every now and then obtains focus. My best guess is that the photographer is zooming while trying to AF/AF-track=something the 10iv cannot do. Lesson for me, stop pushing down the shutter button when zooming in or out and begin again after zooming has stopped and focus has been re-aquired.

In this second hawk series once the hawk gets closer (opposite what a poor AF would do near MFD) all the shots look good, maybe by then the photographer had quit with the power zoom?

The last hawk, the real dark one is worse. He still begins out of focus, maybe he was late getting the green dancing squares on the bird before take off, worse maybe he was trying to acquire focus while zooming. Once the bird is close (real real close) ..and me thinking zooming has stopped....the shots are all in focus (though at this point not many frames.

Conclusion. The guy wielding the camera is maybe a video guy? New camera in his hands? Not realizing you can't zoom and keep AF-tracking?

In the end I'm not expecting 1DXii or a9 performance! Hehe :) Truthfully just living up to Magic Johnson level but I bet the 10iv gets into the everyday carry sling.

The biggest issue I see Mickey, and shooting an a99ii you can understand this, is detail and IQ. Those close up shots once the bird has landed looks great to me. The images Gordon Laing has posted on his pre-review of the 10iv show a lot of lacking feather detail. So I temper my expectations (a lot ).

Regardless the 10iv will be going to Conowingo....after I get a keeper or two with the a9 (and hey that's not for certain), then I'll play with the little man.

I can't tell you how tempting it is to sell everything off but my 135za and buy an RX10iv/a99 duo. The 135 is too special to me to give up, and the a99 delivers the goods for portrait work really well. It would eliminate the need to EVER change lenses and give me an ultra-versatile 2nd body at the same time. All this after I just bought three new batteries for the a99ii--lol.

As usual, I'll be listening to your input.

Flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 13, 2017 20:34 as a reply to mickeyb105's post |  #13

Wait and see at this point, but more and more good stuff coming out of the Brits who've had it for
right at a week now. the BIF stuff they're doing really looks good, so one of the major weaknesses of the
Mk III is now overcome. Battery life evidently is a bit worse but carrying an extra NP50 ain't a thing plus
the ability to top it off via a USB charging brick is still there.

Only big let down for many (me included) is the loss of apps; I really liked having an intervalometer in-camera.

Charlie you still in? You'd should have yours no later than the 18th. I don't think I'll (BestBuy) see mine until
Saturday.

flickr (external link)

wesjr
Joined May 2005
Oct 17, 2017 16:19 |  #14

Robert I can't wait either. I know Amazon has them in. Not sure how far down the pre-order list I am.
Think this camera will be what I want. Having used a 1" sensor on my Panasonic Lumix ZS 100 for a year, I understand the sensor. Sony sensor will be a big step up for me.

Not looking forward to using .jpgs for a few months but that's OK.

Getting a Godox TT685s for the RX10 IV. Love to use fill flash. The Mk4 has a leaf shutter that works up to 1/4000 sec making HSS irrelevant.

Wish I had it now.

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL

Canon 5Ds , Canon EOS - 7D Mk II, Panasonic Lumix ZS 100, Canon Pixma Pro 10 Printer, Sekonic L- 358 incident/ flash meter, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM, Canon EF 24- 105 f/4 IS, Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 70 -200 mm.L f/4, Sigma 180 mm. HSM f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF AF, Canon EF 100- 400 mm. F/4.5- 5.6 L IS, Canon EF 500 mm. f/4 L IS, 1.4 TC, 12 & 25 mm. Ext. tubes, Better Beamer, Canon 580 EX II flash.

wesjr
Joined May 2005
Oct 17, 2017 16:48 |  #15

Check out this deer photo from the UK posted on dpreview forums. It's killer IMO. Love to work with this in RAW.

Can't wait..

https://1.img-dpreview.com ...66e3043a7b56a05c113​fcc103 (external link)

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL

Canon 5Ds , Canon EOS - 7D Mk II, Panasonic Lumix ZS 100, Canon Pixma Pro 10 Printer, Sekonic L- 358 incident/ flash meter, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 USM, Canon EF 24- 105 f/4 IS, Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 70 -200 mm.L f/4, Sigma 180 mm. HSM f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF AF, Canon EF 100- 400 mm. F/4.5- 5.6 L IS, Canon EF 500 mm. f/4 L IS, 1.4 TC, 12 & 25 mm. Ext. tubes, Better Beamer, Canon 580 EX II flash.

sponsored links

3,644 views & 142 likes for this thread
Sony RX10 mk IV share your thoughts, interest, images.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.