Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 24 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 10:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Replacing Modeling Light with LED?

WillMass
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Behind a lens somewhere
Sep 28, 2017 19:13 as a reply to post 18461453 |  #16

Interesting. Having a hard time envisioning it as a modeling light inside a softbox or octo with a strobe. But interesting

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Sep 29, 2017 08:28 as a reply to post 18461415 |  #17

I got a set of these to try.

100w LED E26 base candelabra bulbs (external link)

They're not terribly bright (still better than the LED on AD600), but they suit the purpose as a modeling lamp. But, being non-dimmable, they flicker in my Bowens monolights at all power levels.

They are also about 1/2" too long to fit in my 7 & 8" reflectors with grids attached. But they are just the ticket when I use my octoboxes, pattern projector or fresnel attachment.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 29, 2017 14:10 |  #18

RDKirk wrote in post #18461321 (external link)
The issue is still lumens. There isn't a compact Edison base LED that comes anywhere close to the lumens of a 150 or 250 watt halogen. The lumen modeling lights work much better in large modifiers, their effect with reflectors is more apparent, and they do a better job of allowing irises to contract.

Just picking a random 250W E26 base halogen for its specs, the output is stated as 4200 lumens.
A 150W halogen E26 base states 2650 lumen output.

The highest output E26 base LED I have seen is 20W actual '125W equivalent' and outputs 2000 lumens

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

6,751 views & 5 likes for this thread
Replacing Modeling Light with LED?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.