Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 14:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Replacement Battery for Canon 70d?

stiscooby
148 posts
Joined Jun 2006
UK
Sep 24, 2017 14:24 |  #1

I'm looking to get a spare Battery or two for my 70d, ready for an up coming Safari holiday next month.

A genuine Canon LP-E6 Battery is silly money, so looking for cheaper alternatives. If anyone has any good or even bad experiences/recommenda​tions of certain makes to use?

Oh, I'm in the UK, should that make a difference to makes of Battery etc.

Thanks for any recommendations :-

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 24, 2017 14:31 |  #2

Wasabi, STK, Powerextra.

Pretty much all the same thing. Just as good as the Canon one for a 3rd of the price.

I don't ever get a Canon battery other than what comes with the camera, if it does, which mine is all used, so rarely does.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 24 days ago by John from PA.
Sep 24, 2017 14:57 |  #3

Review the thread at http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485035 looking specifically for an equivalent to the charger/batteries etc. for purchase in the UK. See https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...rds=top-max+charger+lp-e6 (external link). You might find the kit useful as it permits charging from the accessort outlet (cigarette lighter) of a vehicle.

If you just want to go the battery only route, consider https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...non-Battery/dp/B004N7K7FO (external link).

By the way, note the original post by the OP about how some travelers has their extra batteries confiscated because they were pack in their checked luggage.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 24, 2017 16:00 |  #4

I've had 2 Wasabi LP-E6 batteries for about 5 years now. One of them is giving me problems and is no longer in service. I got both of them, and a house/car charger for $29 at Amazon. Interestingly enough, I've depleted 2 Canon LP-E6 batteries in the same time. I make no claim regarding either brand's longevity, since I don't make any effort to use them evenly.

Tom

shocolite
Joined Mar 2014
Ireland (when I do get home!)
Sep 24, 2017 16:45 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #5

I have Hahnel replacement LP-E6, on my 6D it out-lasted my original bettery! I still have it for my 80D. It gets equal use with my original batteries and whilst not as cheap as some brands it is still cheaper than Canon's. Available on Amazon UK.

Canon 80D & 700D; EF-S 10-18/18-55/18-135 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS USM, 50 F1.4, 100 F2.8L Macro, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 F4L IS; Speedlite 430EX II

stiscooby
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jun 2006
UK
Sep 25, 2017 07:36 |  #6

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have seen the Wasabi & STK mentioned a few times but I'm struggling to find any for sale here in the UK. There seems to be limited options apart from ones that seem to have no name at all -?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 25, 2017 07:47 |  #7

stiscooby wrote in post #18459903 (external link)
Thanks for the recommendations.

There seems to be limited options apart from ones that seem to have no name at all -?

In reply #3 I supplied a link to a Duracell battery.

stiscooby
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jun 2006
UK
Sep 25, 2017 13:46 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #18459914 (external link)
In reply #3 I supplied a link to a Duracell battery.

Thanks, I did have a look at that battery but was put off by the various negative reviews, especially the ones where people mention it didn't work in their 70d and on some occasions caused issues with peoples cameras -?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Sep 25, 2017 15:47 |  #9

stiscooby wrote in post #18460227 (external link)
Thanks, I did have a look at that battery but was put off by the various negative reviews, especially the ones where people mention it didn't work in their 70d and on some occasions caused issues with peoples cameras -?

If you are driven by reviews, then take a look at https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...rp_d_product_sims?i​e=UTF8 (external link). That is a 3-way charger and two batteries.

Unfortunately you likely aren't going to find the Wasabi or SterlingTek in the UK. The US importer of SterlingTek used to ship to the UK but we have a new importer now and ordering direct from the site just takes you to Amazon (USA).

i-G12
Wat?
1,357 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Sep 25, 2017 19:01 |  #10

Anybody like the Watson LP-E6 that B & H throws in with the purchase of most cameras that use the LP-EP?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 23 days ago by John from PA.
Sep 25, 2017 19:16 |  #11

i-G12 wrote in post #18460415 (external link)
Anybody like the Watson LP-E6 that B & H throws in with the purchase of most cameras that use the LP-EP?

See for yourself...https://www.amazon.com ...roduct-reviews/B00BYQL4M2 (external link).

One comment I would have about the "Top critical review" and an individual not getting expected life from a newly purchased battery. I recall several years ago when I purchased my first STK that I too was initially disappointed but after several discharge/charge cycles it yielded much the same life as my Canon original which was perhaps three months old. I later learned that this is normal behavior for lithium batteries, somewhat of a conditioning process for a new battery. I also think, just my opinion, that this behavior may be worsened since batteries can only be shipped (since 2016) at a 30% charge state or lower.

So in general don't judge a new battery by its initial behavior.

stiscooby
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Jun 2006
UK
Oct 01, 2017 17:17 |  #12

Thanks for the info......... I ordered this in the end https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...rp_d_product_sims?i​e=UTF8 (external link)

Double charger and two batteries. They seem to be working fine so far ;-)a

sponsored links

4,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
Replacement Battery for Canon 70d?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.