Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 25 Sep 2017 (Monday) 02:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does Watson LPE6 battery nullify Canon 5d mk4 body warranty?

jmckayak
Joined May 2009
Dec 28, 2017 20:33 |  #16

I have a Watson LPE6 battery that I've used in a 5D3 and a 5D4 with no problem. The Watson held a charge almost as well as a Canon battery. At least it did for 4 years, now seems to lose charge quicker. Maybe it's just getting old. One of the Canons is at least 4 years old and will still take 2500 shots on one charge. That is now showing only 1 bar for rechargablility. Watson is good, Canon is better.

sponsored links
cristphoto
819 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 28, 2017 22:17 |  #17

jmckayak wrote in post #18528337 (external link)
I have a Watson LPE6 battery that I've used in a 5D3 and a 5D4 with no problem. The Watson held a charge almost as well as a Canon battery. At least it did for 4 years, now seems to lose charge quicker. Maybe it's just getting old. One of the Canons is at least 4 years old and will still take 2500 shots on one charge. That is now showing only 1 bar for rechargablility. Watson is good, Canon is better.

Did you get a warning on the rear screen when you installed the Watson battery? I did on my 5D4. Never happened on the 5D3. Does it only show once or every time its installed? Does it register in the battery info section? Like you I've used Watson batteries in the 5D3 for a few years with no issues. Not sure if Canon put in a circuit in the 5D4 to place doubt in users minds.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Dec 29, 2017 05:33 |  #18

Sooner or later a third party battery will go puffy and damage camera and we'll find out if Canon can in fact determine if a third party battery has been used. (Assuming owner sends to Canon for repair and they or someone they know posts on the net)

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

cristphoto
819 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 29, 2017 06:55 |  #19

My guess is Canon would make good on a warranty claim unless it was a claim for damage caused by a leaking battery. Same as if you’re using a third party lens or flash. If something stops working in the camera I would like to think Canon would stand behind their product.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,641 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 22 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 29, 2017 07:09 |  #20

I use 2 different 3rd party batteries in my 5D4 and don't receive warnings. Those warnings existed on other bodies too through the years on various generations of 3rd party batteries. It took the 3rd party companies a few iterations to work out the kinks.

Also, we had this thread back in 2010. Nothing has come up on these boards in the 7 years since that thread, or much before that really. We always have the "what if" folks that are risk-adverse, but I suspect that it would be very, very difficult to find enough cases, however anecdotal, on the boards where a 3rd party battery caused a huge issue with a Canon camera, never mind whether it caused a warranty rejection. There will be the occasional "I heard", but to find real documented cases over the period of the LP-E4 will be very difficult.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

cristphoto
819 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Dec 30, 2017 11:19 |  #21

I just noticed the customer reviews of the Watson battery on the B&H site. It seems the last two firmware upgrades for the Canon 5D MK IV will cause issues when not using a Canon battery (at least the Watson LP-EN6n equivalent).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,570 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 30, 2017 19:07 |  #22

Choderboy wrote in post #18528541 (external link)
Sooner or later a third party battery will go puffy and damage camera and we'll find out if Canon can in fact determine if a third party battery has been used. (Assuming owner sends to Canon for repair and they or someone they know posts on the net)

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony. ... Accurate determination of whether an anecdote is "typical" requires statistical evidence.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,570 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 30, 2017 19:08 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18459800 (external link)
If B&H sent me a NEW Canon camera with a Watson battery, I'd return it (the camera) for a refund. That would also be my last transaction with B&H. I find it extremely hard to believe that B&H is shipping new cameras with anything but OEM batteries.

You say you haven't made the purchase, yet. What makes you think B&H is shipping NEW cameras with after-market batteries?

It is an extra battery...the camera also comes with the Canon OEM battery.

sponsored links

8,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does Watson LPE6 battery nullify Canon 5d mk4 body warranty?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.