Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Sep 2017 (Monday) 14:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 657: Monuments

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by JimAskew.
Sep 25, 2017 14:42 |  #1

Challenge #657- Monuments

Description of this week's topic: Here in the States there has much controversy of late regarding Monuments and their appropriate relation to history. I do not intend for this to be a political contest but rather a celebration of how your honor your events/heroes around the world. So show me a monument that you like. Identify the event or person being honored in the title. As always excellent composition and exposure will win the day :-)

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo. Don't forget your Camera Model. Post until Monday noon GMT, 2 October 2017.

Photo Submissions Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.

- Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

- Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

- Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

- Posting -- One photo per photographer in each challenge. Photo Title in the first line of the post. Camera model. EXIF data, if you like.

- Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

- Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

- Time One challenge every week, on the following schedule: New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning. Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced. Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page. Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page. Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon. Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.
Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Great entries this week and some “out of the box” thinking as well by some. As always with our “Merry Band of Intrepid Photographers” it is hard to pick one over another…but pick I must so here goes:

Mt. Rushmore by Maureen: A well composed and exposed capture of an American classic monument. I love the sharpness of the faces and the deep blue of the sky.

'Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers' by Car: An intriguing and well exposed photo of a gentlemen who is in a thoughtful mood staring out at the water. Love the patina of the material…it has aged well. Please tell us more about this intriguing character.

Foggy Captain Cook Whitby this week by Trumper: Interesting photo of the Captain overlooking the castle ruins. I like the ethereal look the fog adds to the photo.

Presidential monuments in everyday use by OhLook: Ah…my favorite approach…an ”Out of the Box” slant to the challenge. Well interpreted, well composed, and well exposed.

"What Monument?" ( El Cid Campeador, 1040-1099 AD. ) In S.F. by CarloY: “Out of the Box” for sure. Nice exposure and play of light and shadows. Looks like the kids at the foot of El Cid are more interested in using the monument as a table than in the history it represents.

And the Winners are:

3rd Place – OhLook: Presidential monuments in everyday use

2nd Place – Maureen: Mt. Rushmore

1st Place – Car: 'Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers'

Over to you Car…Challenge # 658 is all yours!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,642 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Sep 25, 2017 22:54 |  #2

Mt. Rushmore

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Car
Joined Jan 2008
Glasgow
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Car.
Sep 26, 2017 07:53 |  #3

HOSTED PHOTO
'Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers'

G7

Trumper
729 posts
Joined May 2003
Sep 29, 2017 14:51 |  #4

G1X MK11
Foggy Captain Cook Whitby this week

HOSTED PHOTO

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,183 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 01, 2017 18:35 |  #5

Presidential monuments in everyday use

HOSTED PHOTO
G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

CarloY
675 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Oct 02, 2017 04:25 |  #6

"What Monument?" ( El Cid Campeador, 1040-1099 AD. ) In S.F.
Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Oct 02, 2017 12:34 |  #7

Contest is now closed. Thanks to all who entered. Results up this evening. :-)

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Oct 02, 2017 14:02 |  #8

Results are posted at the top :-)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,642 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Oct 02, 2017 16:12 |  #9

Congrats to Carolyn...loved this shot as well. And thanks for the coveted 2nd place, Jim...great & timely subject

I will be out next week as we are off to Kauai tomorrow for 8 days. Be back on the 16th.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,183 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 02, 2017 16:40 |  #10

Congratulations to Car and Maureen. Thanks to Jim for providing an unusual theme, hosting, and placing me in the middle of the pack. Looking at all five entries, I can easily believe that the choices were difficult.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

teekay
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 02, 2017 18:39 |  #11

Congratulations to Carolyn and everybody else who entered!

Sorry, Jim, but I just couldn't find, or think of, a suitable entry this week. I don't think I've ever taken a photo of a monument and there is nothing in my town that would qualify as a monument comparable to any one of the entries.:-(

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,183 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 02, 2017 19:28 |  #12

teekay wrote in post #18464837 (external link)
I don't think I've ever taken a photo of a monument and there is nothing in my town that would qualify as a monument comparable to any one of the entries.:-(

No metallic portraits of Elizabeth R.?

teekay
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 02, 2017 23:00 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #18464869 (external link)
No metallic portraits of Elizabeth R.?

Yes, but all the same and - "monuments"???

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,183 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Oct 02, 2017 23:55 |  #14

teekay wrote in post #18464990 (external link)
Yes, but all the same and - "monuments"???

It's a stretch, but our esteemed host accepted that interpretation in Post #5.

Car
Joined Jan 2008
Glasgow
Oct 03, 2017 03:59 |  #15

Thanks for hosting and judging Jim, didn't expect that at all, as soon as I saw Maureens capture of Mt Rushmore go up I thought that was it!
Congratulations too Maureen and OhLook.

Here's a bit about Freddie taken from Website a bit about Britain.........
"He sits on his bench in his overcoat, cloth cap pulled slightly down, gazing out to sea. His walking stick is loosely held in his left hand, his right arm draped casually over the back of the bench. It looks like a favourite spot along Scarborough’s North Bay.

This is an astonishing, giant, sculpture in rusting steel. It has a kind of serenity and, up close, the texture of the steel is amazing. Even without the title, this would be an arresting piece of art. It is based on a former miner from County Durham who, as a soldier shortly before his 24th birthday, was one of the first allied troops to enter Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany in April 1945. They found more than 60,000 prisoners, most of them seriously ill, and thousands of unburied corpses. Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers represents ordinary people pulled out of ordinary lives because of war, who involuntarily experienced extraordinary things and whose lives were profoundly affected as a consequence. The inscription on the sculpture’s plaque says:

“They said for king and country,
We should do as we were bid,
They said old soldiers never die
But plenty young ones did.”
Freddie Gilroy died in 2008. But the story doesn’t end there. The artist, Ray Lonsdale, loaned the sculpture to the town for a month, but local resident Jakki Willby began a campaign to keep it in Scarborough. Out of the blue, local pensioner Maureen Robinson donated the £50,000 needed – and Freddie Gilroy and the Belsen Stragglers is now a permanent feature on North Bay."

I've also included another picture so you can see his actual scale better.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,260 views & 9 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 657: Monuments
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.