Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 26 Sep 2017 (Tuesday) 18:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Microsoft Surface Pro for Lightroom

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Robinson Crusoe. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 26, 2017 18:43 |  #1

Long story short for the ones who don't wanna read a long explanation, how do you enjoy the performance of Lightroom on your Microsoft Surface Pro, overall?

I had an iPad Pro 12.9. Enjoyed it for around a year and a half, as the screen was big I didn't have to force my eyes to see tiny texts etc. It stopped working and the worst Apple customer service in the world(Turkey) thought it was my fault and didn't change it with warranty(long story). I still need to use an iPad as the apps dominated the market in my profession(aviation). So I decided to buy the cheapest possible, most probably an iPad mini and use it for my work.

Now, as I'll think of a portable solution for my entertainment, I seriously started to consider Microsoft Surface. In fact after the crippled iPad, Apple customer service might have done me a favor to see the opportunities the market offers nowadays. If I had the chance I would always prefer my monster PC to work on my photos and all my other things but I spend half my life away from home in the hotels because of my job. Also when I have a trip it becomes harder to work on the photos when I'm back as there are many photos stacking. So I would also love a portable solution to work on the photos when I take them.

I'm planning to buy the most advanced version(big SSD capacity, fastest processor, a lot of ram etc.) As I understand Surface has with and without cooling fan versions. There the dilemma starts, a cooling fan kills all the purpose of using a tablet. Not the most important thing but that part confuses me a little. Has anyone tried both the versions, with fan and fanless, is there any significant difference using Lightroom? I also read that the people got disappointed by 2017 version as they were expecting much more improvements but that's the marketing strategy nowadays I guess, companies try to give as few as possible as they don't have many competitors outside.

My alternate plan is buying a strong laptop but carrying a heavy machine, heating problems, the need to think about battery dying every 2 hours makes me stay away from that option.

Long story short, I would love to hear your experiences, recommendations. I'm also open to alternates if there are any.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Sep 26, 2017 22:12 |  #2

I've got a Surface Pro 4 that I bought for mobile LR edits and work (notes, excel, etc.) and I love it so far. I've had mine a little over a month now I think? Hard to keep track.

I have the second level up version; i5, 4GB of RAM and 128gb of storage. The current version of my spec doesn't have a fan, mine does (though I only ever notice if I'm sitting in an empty office, the hum of the office refrigerator is more noticeable than my Surface at full load.

As long as your expectations are realistic I think they work great. Mine is a little slower to fully load previews, but editing is lag free for any general task and I find the pen very useful for brush tools and the like. I would definitely buy mine again if anything were to happen to it, so take that as you will.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Sep 27, 2017 12:13 as a reply to EverydayGetaway's post |  #3

Pulled the trigger and went for the fanless i5, 256 Gb storage and 8GB ram version. It wasn't sold in my country, luckily my friend was in US, he'll bring me tomorrow. Decided very fast, hope it won't disappoint me :)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,415 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Oct 11, 2017 10:53 |  #4

I had been using a Surface Pro 3 i7 256gb 8gb for around a year
was using a small external 512gb usb3/ssd drive

it wasn't the fastest at LR, but its still pretty quick, and the fact that its light and easy to bring with you anywhere made it awesome!

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Oct 11, 2017 11:21 |  #5

I used Lightroom on a Surface Pro 3 that I had at work and it worked reasonably well. I had some issues with the small screen and my thick fingers. It wouldn't be my first choice to edit on but it would be a nice device to show work to your clients on site.

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Turkey
Oct 11, 2017 11:41 |  #6

Forgot to write after I buy it. I liked it, the 2017 version I bought is fast enough. In fact it felt quite good that I installed The Witcher 3 on it(a PC game that's quite demanding). The graphics aren't bad, but fps is low. Well, I didn't buy it to play games. It does what it's built for. In fact I'm amazed by the flexibility after my old crippled iPad Pro.

sponsored links

691 views & 0 likes for this thread
Microsoft Surface Pro for Lightroom
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.