Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 13:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

C’est La Vie

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 27, 2017 13:45 |  #1

Or, as they say in France, that’s life.

A few months ago I bought a Macbook Pro. It had intermittent problems from the outset so I returned it to the shop for a full refund.

A few weeks ago I upgraded my broadband to fibre optic. Unfortunately the ISP kept failing to honour the activation dates that they gave me, so after the forth failed activation date I cancelled my order with them and got a full refund.

A few days ago I bought a new razor, a Giesen and Forsthoff Vintage razor with a chrome-plated zinc head and a Walnut and stainless steel handle. After only shaving with it twice it fell to bits. I’ve sent it back for a full refund.

Am I really asking for too much in expecting things to actually work as they are supposed to?

Answers on a postcard to ...............

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,425 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 10 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2017 14:11 |  #2

Wow that is quite a list!

We bought a large home 12 years ago, it was fairly new, it is only about 17 years old now. We thought with the builder's rep, it would be a great home and it passed all major inspection points.

Now, we have the following repairs:
- A 9'x9' triple patio door/transom set rotted from water damage, and had to replace it for $10K
- 2 accent windows in the kitchen, same failure, part of the 10k repair
- 2 double casement wood windows in kitchen starting to fail
- Garage side entrance started to grow tree fungus, and water getting into our garage after a hard rain, we just pulled that entire door out of the framing, rain guard on top was nailed into door frame and leaked water for years, and improper J-channel install, all replaced after replacing part of a 2x6 wall frame since we have 6" walls.
- Found out no windows or doors were taped through all of these things, and no housewrap (none of this was code when it was built)
- Now will need a complete exterior overhaul of new siding, house wrap, taped windows/doors, foam board insulators, and thicker siding

Keep in mind the sides we are having issues with face due west, and the torrential rains and high winds we get here somehow find every deficiency in the exterior construction. :(

I feel your pain... A 5K sq foot home with elaborate design inside and out with extensive landscaping, huge deck, stamped patio, walk out basement shouldn't have such a list of workmanship and quality issues. I am waiting on quotes from 2 other companies at this point after getting a 53K quote from one. I don't know if this is "life", but it is our "life" anyways.

Also just found out that the landscaper that replaced all 26 yards of mulch beds with various kinds of stone skimped out in sections around our deck, never saw it until we started doing annual maintenance in the back and had to walk over areas we hadn't reviewed prior. You would think for $7K, we would have enough stone to cover all landscaping fabric, so now we need about 2 yards brought in so we can cover it ourselves.

If I have learned anything from these woes, there are always worst stories out there than mine, so I am grateful to God for the blessings I have now, despite some setbacks.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,769 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 27, 2017 14:15 |  #3

john crossley wrote in post #18461573 (external link)

A few months ago I bought a Macbook Pro. It had intermittent problems from the outset so I returned it to the shop for a full refund.

A few weeks ago I upgraded my broadband to fibre optic. Unfortunately the ISP kept failing to honour the activation dates that they gave me, so after the forth failed activation date I cancelled my order with them and got a full refund.

A few days ago I bought a new razor, a Giesen and Forsthoff Vintage razor with a chrome-plated zinc head and a Walnut and stainless steel handle. After only shaving with it twice it fell to bits. I’ve sent it back for a full refund.

Am I really asking for too much in expecting things to actually work as they are supposed to?

Postcard? Have you ever used the USPS? I find it hard to believe that organization continues to find a way to stay in business. Everything they do can be done cheaper and/or faster via other means. They hang on because nobody really cares about service or value anymore.

I stopped at a fast food restaurant on the way home from work this morning. The young lady taking my order, and my money, was pleasant, engaging, and knew her job well enough to answer a few simple questions. I was so astounded at getting good, polite, service that I had to make a remark to her manager. THAT is a shame. I remember not all that long ago when you spoke to the manager about POOR service.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,425 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Sep 27, 2017 14:19 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #4

USPS is much better than before, but the rate hikes have to stop. I presume their pension funds are not doing well, because fuel prices certainly haven't increased in the past couple of years, and actually are much lower than prior years. Shipping material also hasn't increased so why the increase? Quality of service is much better though, I ship daily with them, and service now is more reliable and faster than years prior.

On a flip side, related to your fast food, we went to a McDonalds the other day from marching band, and there was one guy there that was a superman. He was rushing around to fill orders, mop up spilled pop on the floor, and bar, and was just doing everything. We told him we appreciated his hard work and it was rare to see that kind of energy in the food business.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
6,769 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Bassat.
Sep 27, 2017 15:25 |  #5

We see two very different Post Offices. Fort Wayne is still a primary sectional processing center. South Bend has been relegated to under-class status.

Speaking in generalities:
When you mail something, it goes to Fort Wayne for processing. If it is 467/468 local, it gets processed and delivered next day, mostly. If not, it goes to Indy for further processing. Mail going TO Fort Wayne comes into town and is delivered (mostly) the same day.

Say you mail a letter to your next door neighbor (before 5PM). It will get picked up that day, taken to Fort Wayne, processed, returned to the delivery station, and delivered the next day.

South Bend does NOT process outgoing mail anymore. It goes to Fort Wayne, or sometimes Indy. There it gets processed with everything else in the stream. If it is going back to South Bend, it has to be trucked both ways. That takes time. Mail going TO SB goes from Indy to FW, gets processed, then goes to SB. SB used to process its own incoming mail. Now most of that gets done in FW, delaying everything by a day.

Say I mail a letter to my next door neighbor (before 5PM).
Letter gets picked up in Bourbon, and trucked 28 miles to South Bend (SB). South Bend puts it, and everything else, on a truck for an 80 mile ride to Fort Wayne (FW). If FW can get it processed, it will be sent back to SB the following morning, generally too late for processing that day. If FW can NOT get it processed, they will send it on another 100+mile truck ride to INDY. That will get back to SB then next day, guaranteed too late for processing and delivery that day. It is not unusual for me to mail a birthday card with my local (joke) processing center, and have it take 5+ days to be delivered. Even if all goes well, my letter to my neighbor goes (28+80+80+28). If things go wrong (Postal), add two 100mile trip to/from Indy to the ride. On a bad day, my letter to my neighbor can travel 416 miles. That ain't getting done overnight. Considering drive time and processing time x2, there is no such thing as overnight delivery here.

If I remember correctly, the last two price adjustments for first class stamps was downward. I use USPS for shipping primarily because it is convenient. I can print a label at home, and arrange for package pickup next day. It has gotten progressively more expensive. Too much so, I starting to think. But USPS has to make some money to stay in business. Standard Mail (formerly 3rd Class, aka Junk Mail) has been a loss leader for decades. USPS loses money on every piece, but it generates cash flow. First Class mail has dropped off so much in the last 10 years that USPS has considered eliminating Saturday delivery, and every other day rural delivery. The public blows a gasket at either suggestion. Yet nobody (USPS or public) pays any attention to delivery standards. If you (the public) don't pay any attention to how long delivery takes, why does it matter if it comes on Monday or Tuesday. Stupid. I'd settle for once a week delivery. Nothing the USPS handles is urgent.

I hope the FRTSB is handling my retirement funds well. My USPS retirement is about 25% of my income right now.

Tom

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 27, 2017 15:28 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18461588 (external link)
I stopped at a fast food restaurant on the way home from work this morning. The young lady taking my order, and my money, was pleasant, engaging, and knew her job well enough to answer a few simple questions. I was so astounded at getting good, polite, service that I had to make a remark to her manager. THAT is a shame. I remember not all that long ago when you spoke to the manager about POOR service.

My wife and I are plagued by bad service, we just never expect anything to go right first time any more, especially take away's, if we don't get our hopes up we won't be disappointed, and your post really does sum it up. These days I bend over backwards to reward good service and sing their praises from the rooftops, as it's such a pleasant surprise when you get it that it really brightens my day!

Funny sort of example from today, all us managers at work went out for dinner today at lunchtime, because we can, to a new tapas bar that has opened directly opposite my offices, except they haven't opened, when we inquired they said they'd open just for today, a few weeks earlier than their planned start date, to use us as guinea pigs to shake down the staff, tills, ovens, a dry run for when they properly open. The waiting staff were nervous as hell, had never served before, and within half an hour;

I'd had a full glass of wine spilled into my lap.
A dirty plate dropped onto my shirt.
A heavy knife slipped off a plate being collected and smacked me right in the nadgers.

And you know what, I didn't care, the bit I cared about was superb ( the food ) and they were learning, I understand that, I'd rather they make their mistakes on me than on someone in the 'real' world. :)

Did stink a bit all afternoon though, and got some funny looks when I collected the kids from school in the car.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Bassat
6,769 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 27, 2017 15:32 as a reply to welshwizard1971's post |  #7

Just curious... Did the 'dry run' at the new establishment include free food? Seems like it should have. Good PR and all that.

Tom

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 27, 2017 15:35 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #8

It didn't, and in hindsight, as the missus pointed out when I got home, after all that they could at least have give me a discount voucher for next time. But, the food was sooo good, and the girls were sooo apologetic, you would have had to have been a complete **** to be angry with them :) I should have seen it coming, her hand was shaking like a leaf when she served my coffee, 20s later, the bosses wine goes south....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Sep 27, 2017 15:36 |  #9

Lucky white heather!! As they say with some irony back home in Scotland.

flickr (external link)

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Sep 27, 2017 15:41 |  #10

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18461660 (external link)
My wife and I are plagued by bad service, we just never expect anything to go right first time any more, especially take away's, if we don't get our hopes up we won't be disappointed, and your post really does sum it up. These days I bend over backwards to reward good service and sing their praises from the rooftops, as it's such a pleasant surprise when you get it that it really brightens my day!

Funny sort of example from today, all us managers at work went out for dinner today at lunchtime, because we can, to a new tapas bar that has opened directly opposite my offices, except they haven't opened, when we inquired they said they'd open just for today, a few weeks earlier than their planned start date, to use us as guinea pigs to shake down the staff, tills, ovens, a dry run for when they properly open. The waiting staff were nervous as hell, had never served before, and within half an hour;

I'd had a full glass of wine spilled into my lap.
A dirty plate dropped onto my shirt.
A heavy knife slipped off a plate being collected and smacked me right in the nadgers.

And you know what, I didn't care, the bit I cared about was superb ( the food ) and they were learning, I understand that, I'd rather they make their mistakes on me than on someone in the 'real' world. :)

Did stink a bit all afternoon though, and got some funny looks when I collected the kids from school in the car.....

Was in Southampton a couple of weeks ago and I'm going back soon for more business meetings .... please give me the name of that establishment in order that I may avoid it!!!

flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 27, 2017 17:09 |  #11

In France they say C'est la vie.

;)

I'd probably just shave with my dogs clippers.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
6,769 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 27, 2017 17:18 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18461722 (external link)
In France they say C'est la vie.

;)

I'd probably just shave with my dogs clippers.

Close, I think. Don't most Latin languages capitalize nouns? As in, "Vie"?

I use my dog clippers to trim her butt when it gets too hairy, causing 'issues'. Want to borrow them?

Tom

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,296 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 27, 2017 18:41 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18461727 (external link)
Don't most Latin languages capitalize nouns? As in, "Vie"?

No. German does. German is a (surprise!) Germanic language, not a Latinate one.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sep 27, 2017 19:02 |  #14

OhLook wrote in post #18461763 (external link)
No. German does. German is a (surprise!) Germanic language, not a Latinate one.

Yes, in German nouns are written with a capital. But why is it relevant to mention that German is a Germanic language, not Romanic, as if that were an explanation? I mean, English and Dutch are also Germanic languages and in neither language nouns are capitalized.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 27, 2017 19:29 |  #15

I will say this, I've been very happy with USPS Priority Mail... both sending and receiving.

Of course, as I post this, I have an L bracket coming from Las Vegas via Priority Mail....what are the odds of it showing up now that I praised the USPS?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

1,755 views & 3 likes for this thread
C’est La Vie
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.