Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 13:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

C’est La Vie

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sep 29, 2017 01:01 |  #31

OhLook wrote in post #18462553 (external link)
Yes, that's how it started, but why has German kept the capitalization of common nouns up to this day when other languages dropped it long ago?

Not sure. But I have a hypothesis.

In other languages noun capitalisation was never fully implemented and mostly used for emphasis. It never became the standard way of writing. Basically the rule was that there were no rules and everybody just did as he pleased. The American constitution is a nice example of the inconsistency with which nouns were capitalised. In most languages it really was more of a fad and without a clear standard it defeated its purpose, namely to make the written language easier to understand. Instead, it was confusing (especially for printers!). When finally attempts were made to standardise orthography and make it simpler, capitalisation of common nouns was abandoned in most languages.

My guess is that it survived in German because in that language noun capitalisation became the standard and since every common noun was and is capitalised there is no confusion. One could actually argue that it does make the written text more legible. Some were opposed to noun capitalisation though and the discussion continues to this day. The subject just keeps popping up. Some contemporary German authors don't use noun capitalisation in their books.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

john ­ crossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 29, 2017 01:11 |  #32

So there I was in the heart of the Lake District, parked up in a rain soddened car-park on the banks of the largest and most iconic freshwater lake in the country. The panoramic vista before me was a joy to behold, or at least it would have been had I cared to look at it, but due to the long drive I had just undertaken, nature was starting to call with an unforgiving vengeance. By the entrance to the car-park I had noticed a small utilitarian looking building constructed from Lakeland Slate, and anticipating the purpose of the aforementioned building I headed straight for it with due rapidity. There was a blue and white plaque by the door which featured what looked like a man – but you can never be too sure with these modern-day international signs that are designed with aliens in mind should they wish to land, so I entered cautiously. I stopped abruptly. There, gleaming brightly in the murky half-light of the entrance was a stainless steel barrier with a gate in it. And on the gates in twelve inch high bright red letters a sign that read “20p”. I dipped my hands into my pockets and rummaged. Nothing. I tried the gates, they wouldn’t move. I headed back to the car, cursing under my breath as I crossed the boggy grass with urgent haste. I rummaged through the car and managed to scrape together the grand sum of twenty pence, made up of a ten pence piece and two five pence pieces. With an air of attainment at my gathering of the required amount I hastened once more towards the Gentlemen’s ablutions. I pushed the ten pence piece into the slot at the side of the gates. There was a clunk as it dropped into the inner mechanisms of the barrier. Then I repeated the process with the first five pence piece followed by the second. Nothing. What!!! I hit the coin slot. Still nothing. I hit it again, harder. I thumped it. I kicked it. I swore at it. Nothing. I tried to force the gates, they wouldn’t budge. Aaarrrggghhh!!!.
I climbed over the gates; a bad mistake at my time of life. (Dear reader, at the time of writing this cautionary tale of lamentable woe, I am laid up in a hospital bed, under heavy sedation on the strongest painkillers imaginable.) Well, as they were only waist high, how hard can it be, I thought. After managing to place my knee on top of the barrier I hoisted my foot up onto the top of the gates and grabbed hold of the wall as best I could and then hefted my body upwards. I summited the stainless steel massif and then dropped onto the floor at the other side of the barrier. As I landed I felt a slight pang in my lower back but thought nothing of it as the elation of my achievement overrode all other emotions.
I walked across to the urinal and as I stood there playing “chase the matchstick” I heard a soft clunking sound followed by a faint whirring noise. I looked round, and as I did, as if by magic, the gates of the barrier began to slowly open. No-one came in and no-one left. Talk about adding insult to injury. It was as if the gates were sticking two fingers up at me. It was then, at that precise moment in time, that I felt a sudden jarring pain shoot through my lower back.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Sep 29, 2017 04:55 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #33

Lucky white heather indeed John!

Hope you are ok, you'll be glad to know it made me smile :lol:

By the way, 50p (10 shillings/bob) over here in Gibraltar for the super-duper public conveniences.

flickr (external link)

john ­ crossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 29, 2017 09:23 |  #34

Ian Mackie wrote in post #18462619 (external link)
Lucky white heather indeed John!

Hope you are ok, you'll be glad to know it made me smile :lol:

By the way, 50p (10 shillings/bob) over here in Gibraltar for the super-duper public conveniences.

When I was a kid if I had a ten bob note I thought I was rich.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Sep 29, 2017 19:58 |  #35

john crossley wrote in post #18461573 (external link)
Am I really asking for too much in expecting things to actually work as they are supposed to?

In my always humble opinion your expectations are legitimate. Disappointments are certainly part of a life lived fully, but I find we can often secure goods and services of high quality.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

1,744 views & 3 likes for this thread
C’est La Vie
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.