Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 27 Sep 2017 (Wednesday) 18:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best 13-inch Laptop for Photo Editing on the Go

davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Oct 10, 2017 22:04 as a reply to post 18470040 |  #16

It should be fine for photo editing, but if you do heavy video editing with Adobe software, a laptop with integrated Nvidia card will be faster at video rendering. The processor is a dual core. Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects use OpenGL and takes advantage of processor cores and Nvidia's GPU CUDA cores to accelerate rendering. The main caveat is that 13" models are too small to fit another graphics card, so you'll find it on 15" models. So if 13" size is important to you, you will still be able to render videos: it just won't be as fast.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Oct 10, 2017 22:14 |  #17

davesrose wrote in post #18470155 (external link)
It should be fine for photo editing, but if you do heavy video editing with Adobe software, a laptop with integrated Nvidia card will be faster at video rendering. The processor is a dual core. Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects use OpenGL and takes advantage of processor cores and Nvidia's GPU CUDA cores to accelerate rendering. The main caveat is that 13" models are too small to fit another graphics card, so you'll find it on 15" models. So if 13" size is important to you, you will still be able to render videos: it just won't be as fast.

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing at least 95% photo editing while traveling, so my decision is good with 13".

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Jon_Doh
Joined Apr 2007
Area 51
Oct 26, 2017 14:21 |  #18

The Dell has coil whine issues while the HP uses Synaptic crappy trackpad. The best two for editing offer excellent pen support. They are the new Surface Book 2 and the Samsung 9 Pro.

Canon 1D Mark III, 70-200 L IS F4, 17-40 L, 50 1.8, Kenko Pro 1.4x teleconverter
Leica V-Lux 4
Sony NEX 3 used only for astrophotography with Meade LX 90 ACF SCT and Skywatcher 120 ED telescopes
Canon A2 (film), 24-50 Sigma, 70-210 Sigma

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
13 hours ago |  #19

Well, Costco today announced an early Black Friday sale at $1,299.99 for the following Dell XPS 13 Touchscreen laptop. I decided to go ahead and purchase it for now in case they run out of it, but I'm going to leave the package unopened in case I return it within their 90-day return policy on computers:

Processor & Memory:
8th Gen Intel® Core i7-8550U Processor 1.8GHz
16GB LPDDR3 1866MHz RAM

Drives:
512GB PCIe Solid Drive Drive

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Communications:
Killer 1535 Wireless-AC + Bluetooth 4.1

Graphics & Video:
13.3" Touchscreen InfinityEdge QHD+ (3200 x 1800) Display [I wanted a non-touch version with matte IPS screen, but I think I can live with this]
Integrated Graphics

Keyboard:
Backlit Keyboard

Ports & Slots:
2x USB 3.0 (1x With Power Share)
1x Thunderbolt
1x Headset Jack
1x SD Card

Power Supply:
60 WHr Battery

Dimensions: 11.98" x 7.88" x 0.33 - 0.6"
Approximate Weight: 2.7lbs

I'm not 100% happy with the screen and the specs, but for the price I can live with this, I think. HP Spectre 13" I've been comparing it to also doesn't come with the IPS matte screen and the word is that it will not be on Black Friday sale nor would Surface Book 2. I think Surface Book 2 still has some struggles with its reliability. It cost a whole lot more than either XPS or Spectre. It also weighs more than one lbs than the Dell XPS. I also didn't like that it's top heavy and detachable. Otherwise, it sure looks ideal for photo and video editing.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 9 hours ago by davesrose.
10 hours ago as a reply to SYS's post |  #20

If there's too much glare, you can try a matte screen protector:

Celicious Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protector (external link)

Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector Film for Dell XPS 13-9350 13-9360 (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

1,350 views & 3 likes for this thread
Best 13-inch Laptop for Photo Editing on the Go
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.