Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 28 Sep 2017 (Thursday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

lsquare
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Sep 28, 2017 04:21 |  #1

I currently have a RRS BH-40 with the lever clamp. I think I might be part of the minority that hates lever clamps. It just doesn't seem natural to me. Prior to this, I had the Markins Q3T with a screw clamp. I think I got use to it. Anyways, does anyone here have any comments about RRS' screw clamps? I'm assuming screw clamps are better able to adjust and handle Chinese quick release plates which tries to copy the Arca-Swiss standard? I'm assuming lever clamps doesn't adjust as easily? If true, why is that the case?

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...lhead_with_full_siz​e.html (external link)

I have read good stuff about the Uniqball UBH 35X ballhead. Is anyone here using one? I'm planning on using it for landscape and travel photography. I also like that there is a screw clamps, but I hate how they're using rubber for the knob rather than metal like RRS. What do you guys think? Should I buy both and play with it long term?

My camera setup is a Fujifilm X-T2. My longest lens at the moment is the 55-200mm lens/

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 28, 2017 17:22 |  #2

I cannot comment on the specific brands/models that you mention but, personally, I do not like lever locking clamps. I have a wide variety of Arca type QR plates and they fit all my screw type QR clamps. My single lever clamp does not lock securely with many of them.

If you are sticking to one manufacturer then this should not be an issue, but it may well be if you are not.

Just my thoughts.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Post has been edited 16 days ago by sawsedge.
Sep 29, 2017 19:49 |  #3

The newest RRS clamps are self-adjusting. I assume this is what you have with the BH-40 (but you should ask RRS). I have several very old plates that vary in width and my RRS lever clamp holds each securely. In spite of that, a lever probably has less adjustment range than any screw clamp, and if you have plates that are way out of spec then a screw clamp is more likely to work. In general, I would stick with one brand of plate if you can arrange it. Modern Kirk, RRS, Wimberley and I believe Hejnar plates all conform to the same spec and are completely interchangeable.

Now, if you don't like the lever style, you don't, and you should switch to a screw clamp.

I also can't speak to the ballheads.

- John

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Sep 29, 2017 20:24 |  #4

BTW, in re-reading the original post, it seems like you are assuming you cannot switch the clamp? The RRS head will let you change the clamp, no need to get another ballhead.

- John

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 29, 2017 21:03 |  #5

I started out with screw clamps for the reasons stated above. Then I got my first RRS lever clamp and my opinion changed. I love them.

That said, I still use their little screw clamp with the strap bosses for my Luma shoulder straps. They have never come loose, which is a big deal to me. If I had to guess, I'd say all screw clamps are not created equal... and the same can be said for lever clamps as well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 16 days ago by Wilt.
Sep 30, 2017 01:15 |  #6

Some lever clamps are NOT adjustable; other lever clamps ARE adjustable. The adjustable lever clamps may NOT be 'automatically adjusted' but require the user to set them appropriately manually!

There is no such thing as 'Arca standard' plates...the Arca-compatible plate dimensions are NOT 'standardized', leading to the fact that some 'compatible' plates fit loosely and others are too large to fit a non-adjustable lever clamp.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Sep 30, 2017 15:57 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #7

Good points Wilt! That was what I was trying to get at - though you put it better than me.

The adjustable lever clamps will have to be adjusted and the "Automatically Adjusting" lever clamps will, inevitably lock tighter on some plates and looser on others. With a screw type clamp it either locks or the plate does not fit - that is it!

My single lever clamp is "Supposed" to be fit for large lenses - err no! It is great for a flash bracket but only on Wimberley dovetails - too loose on others.

Just mt experiences.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Oct 01, 2017 13:07 |  #8

Yes, I was only speaking to my RRS self-adjusting lever clamp. I suspect the OP's lever clamp is one of these.

I rented a Markins ballhead with lever clamp and it didn't work for my varied-width plates. One would have to adjust for each change, which defeats the purpose of "quick" release.

If RRS didn't make their clamp, I would use a screw clamp.

- John

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 06, 2017 23:15 |  #9

So apparently RRS make two different sizes for their screw clamps. Everyone I know is telling me to get the smaller screw clamp as it's more balanced on the BH-40. What do you guys think? Are there performance disadvantages with the smaller clamp vs. the bigger clamp? Also, what about compatibility with other manufacturers' plates? I'm assuming both big and small should perform the same?

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 07, 2017 01:01 |  #10

lsquare wrote in post #18467605 (external link)
So apparently RRS make two different sizes for their screw clamps. Everyone I know is telling me to get the smaller screw clamp as it's more balanced on the BH-40. What do you guys think? Are there performance disadvantages with the smaller clamp vs. the bigger clamp? Also, what about compatibility with other manufacturers' plates? I'm assuming both big and small should perform the same?

I had the same dilemma when I was ordering my first ball head from them. I ended up going with the smaller one and had no issues and this is on their full size BH-55 ball head. Granted, I don't own any of the big whites: my heaviest lens is my 100-400L ii. The fit and finish is so good, the smaller one holds things perfectly well. Scratch that.... I just looked at their site. I bought the "full size" clamp, i.e., the B2-Pro ll with screw clamp. I believe that's what they are calling the "full size" clamp when you by the ball head and clamp together. The extra large one is the B2-LLR-ll. I'm sure you've looked their site over but here is the clamp page: http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/clamps (external link)

I switched over to their lever clamps a few years ago. I don't have tons of Arca Swiss plates/L brackets from various manufacturers, so their adjustable lever clamps work great for me. I still have a couple of their screw clamps around somewhere... in a storage box along with a screw clamp version of their very fine MH-02 monopod head. They no longer make the model with the screw clamp so I picked it up at a steep discount.... but subsequently went all lever clamps at a later date.

Anyway, I'd call their customer service people. Anyone I've talked to at RRS has been well informed and seemed to actually care about my situation. They listened and have always been able to come up with a solution to a problem, or just give me advice about my purchases.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 07, 2017 01:05 |  #11

lsquare wrote in post #18467605 (external link)

I have the RRS BH-40 with the smaller lever clamp, I have used this for not only FF dSLR but also for 645 format film SLR with L bracket for each. Never a 'I shoulda got the bigger clamp' sentiment, ever.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 07, 2017 15:40 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18467649 (external link)
I have the RRS BH-40 with the smaller lever clamp, I have used this for not only FF dSLR but also for 645 format film SLR with L bracket for each. Never a 'I shoulda got the bigger clamp' sentiment, ever.

RRS is out of stock at the moment. Where else can I buy one?

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 9 days ago by Wilt.
Oct 07, 2017 18:44 as a reply to lsquare's post |  #13

Unless you buy used, the only source is RRS itself and B&H which has it in stock.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,918 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Oct 08, 2017 03:41 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18468090 (external link)
Unless you buy used, the only source is RRS itself and B&H which has it in stock.

I just checked B&H and they don't sell the BH-40 with the small screw clamp. I guess I'll have to order from RRS itself.

Wilt
39,004 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 08, 2017 10:52 |  #15

lsquare wrote in post #18468254 (external link)
I just checked B&H and they don't sell the BH-40 with the small screw clamp. I guess I'll have to order from RRS itself.

Sorry I failed to note that B&H did not carry the compact screw clamp.

sponsored links

453 views & 3 likes for this thread
Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.