Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switching from DSLR to mirrorless

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 14 days ago by airfrogusmc.
Feb 05, 2018 17:52 |  #136

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18557127 (external link)
I have full control of mine too, with the bonus of all the modern aids to pick and choose from as needed or turned off if not. My favourite is seeing the exposure and WB in the viewfinder before I shoot. As well as having the shutter and ISO dials on the top of the camera & the aperture on the lens.

Just because the camera has a feature doesn't mean I have to use it.

I find it great that I have a choice of a camera that doesn't have a lot of things I don't want to begin with.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,047 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Feb 05, 2018 18:04 |  #137

Why do people act like it's a badge of honor that some piece of technology lacks features? I've probably said this before but it's like people complaining that a computer has a touch screen. Well, don't touch it and now it's not a touch screen. No one is obligated to use every feature in a camera.

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 14 days ago by airfrogusmc.
Feb 05, 2018 18:16 |  #138

mike_d wrote in post #18557179 (external link)
Why do people act like it's a badge of honor that some piece of technology lacks features? I've probably said this before but it's like people complaining that a computer has a touch screen. Well, don't touch it and now it's not a touch screen. No one is obligated to use every feature in a camera.

No badge of honor just what I prefer because I have shot manually for several decades. It is just the way that I work and it is faster and easier because I have been doing it for so long. Second nature and all. I love the way people try to convince me how wrong my choices are just because it's something they don't prefer. There are PLENTY of the auto everything cameras on the market. Lots'a room to move around in that world. But a true digital rangefinder that only shoots B&W is far less common. In fact there is only one place you can find one of those. Again nice to have choices.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 05, 2018 18:31 |  #139

Wowzer looks like I have walked into a right debate.

P.

Olympus E-M1 and some Zuiko glass

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 05, 2018 20:22 |  #140

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18557164 (external link)
I'm not saying that but name one other company making a B&W digital rangefinder camera? Name one other company making a camera without any automation and not even having an LCD screen so there's your break. Most of the other brands 135 and crop mirrorless and DSLR are mostly all auto and are not that different from one another as far a features.

Well I'd say most other brands ALSO have an auto mode, most have a manual mode too. Up to the user to choose how they use them. Or go buy a camera that has no modern features and not have to choose. I wouldn't say one is better than the other but as you say choice is a nice thing to have. For me I'd hate to have to go back to shooting blind for work (and mostly for fun also). Being able to see how the shot will look in the EVF before I press the shutter is amazing. Auto IOS and spot metering when I'm sniping the guests during the wedding ceremony, priceless. Setting the Auto ISO with multi metering and using the 10 stop exposure dial to change the ISO - so easy with the see all EVF - simply unbeatable for speed in a fast changing light. Setting the shutter speed to 1/32000 and shooting shallow in the bright sun, enlightening. Having lenses with 5 stops of optical stabilization is fantastic when using longer lenses. Having a couple of cameras, batteries & cards and a handful of high end lenses with change left over to get other things like tripod, bag, lighting etc... for less than the price of one camera and lens from the 'unique' brand is something I think lot of people will think makes sense.

Sometimes I choose not to use any of those features, sometimes I turn off the rear screen (and the EVF) but there times when my working life gets waaaaay easier with them on.

Just the way you wrote that sounded a little weighted.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by airfrogusmc. 2 edits done in total.
Feb 05, 2018 20:32 |  #141

Nice to have a choice though that doesn't have all that stuff if I indeed do not use or want it on my camera. The shooting experience with a rangefinder is not for everyone but for those that they are for there is nothing like them. Leica is making cameras that go against the grain. Most that want the bells and whistles they are clearly not for. I shot with Canon DSLRs for a over a decade and I never liked the experience. Sold all the Canon gear over two years ago. The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner. I have friends that have Sonys and Fuji's and I have shot with both. I prefer Leica's by a lot. They are different shooting experience. The key is to find equipment that fits the way that enhance the way an individual sees and works. I have found what works for me. I mention Leica because it is very different than want everyone else has posted here. Nice to be in a position where my work pays for it all. I prefer the simplicity of the equipment I use.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Pagman.
Feb 05, 2018 20:41 |  #142

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18557311 (external link)
Nice to have a choice though that doesn't have all that stuff if I indeed do not use or want it on my camera. The shooting experience with a rangefinder is not for everyone but for those that they are for there is nothing like them. Leica is making cameras that go against the grain. Most that want the bells and whistles they are clearly not for. I shot with Canon DSLRs for a over a decade and I never liked the experience. Sold all the Canon gear over two years ago. The only regret I have is I didn't do it sooner. I have friends that have Sonys and Fuji's and I have shot with both. I prefer Leica's by a lot. They are different shooting experience. The key is to find equipment that fits the way that enact individual sees and works. I have found what works for me. I mention Leica because it is very different than want everyone else has posted here. Nice to be in a position where my work pays for it all. I prefer the simplicity of the equipment I use.

I used to own a couple of the cheap mans leica's - lumix bridge cameras with leica badged lenses, what I will say although the sensors let them down, the lenses where excellent easily out performing the rest of the camera.

P.

Olympus E-M1 and some Zuiko glass

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 13 days ago by airfrogusmc.
Feb 06, 2018 06:40 |  #143

Pagman wrote in post #18557321 (external link)
I used to own a couple of the cheap mans leica's - lumix bridge cameras with leica badged lenses, what I will say although the sensors let them down, the lenses where excellent easily out performing the rest of the camera.

P.

The M 10 is a much different camera.

The lenses are insane. The 90 cron APO and the 35 Lux FLE are both real gems. They render so beautifully.

sponsored links

7,038 views & 104 likes for this thread
Switching from DSLR to mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.