Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Switching from DSLR to mirrorless

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,835 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 28, 2017 14:15 |  #31

Wilt wrote in post #18505807 (external link)
As has been revealed a number of times already, 'compact and lightweight' very well applies to the description of the body ALONE,
but after you mount the appropriate lens on the body, the total distance from back of body to front of lens often ends up longer for the mirrorless camera.

there may be a handful of lenses that are the exception to the rules, but implying that mirrorless is similar in size with comparable dslr setups is false.

I have a compact kit as well as a heavy kit. DSLR's have no compact kits.... and of course the body matters too. Compare the A9 vs 1Dx. Now multiply by two if you're an event/dual body shooter.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 20 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 28, 2017 14:24 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #32

My point exactly, that size/weight are not the reasons for the switch to FF mirrorless (vs FF dSLR). Size and weight are the reason for switching to micro 4/3 format.

There are other reasons to consider mirrorless, which are real and valid pros. Having to sum six lenses in order to arrive at 16 oz. of benefit is hardly a reason. Sony's own product information does not mention any size/weight advantage for the A9.

A few months ago I had calculated what a FF dSLR kit with lenses weighed vs. the FF mirrorless kit. In specifically discussing the new Sony A9, I had determined that if you buy same FL and same max aperture in FF mirrorless or FF dSLR, there will be little benefit in lens size...only 2 of six lenses were shorter than the Canon lens equivalent. In overall kit weight you save only about 10% in weight of mirrorless FF vs. dSLR FF sensor when the kit had comparable same 6 lenses in both kits.

https://petapixel.com ...mirrorless-fatal-mistake/ (external link)

One truly has a size advantage if one goes from FF dSLR to an APS-C mirrorless or 4/3 format mirrorless, as the needed FL are proportionately shorter for the same AOV.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 20 days ago by mike_d.
Nov 28, 2017 14:40 |  #33

Wilt wrote in post #18506027 (external link)
My point exactly, that size/weight are not the reasons for the switch to FF mirrorless (vs FF dSLR). Size and weight are the reason for switching to micro 4/3 format.

There are other reasons to consider mirrorless, which are real and valid pros. Having to sum six lenses in order to arrive at 16 oz. of benefit is hardly a reason. Sony's own product information does not mention any size/weight advantage for the A9.

A few months ago I had calculated what a FF dSLR kit with lenses weighed vs. the FF mirrorless kit. In specifically discussing the new Sony A9, I had determined that if you buy same FL and same max aperture in FF mirrorless or FF dSLR, there will be little benefit in lens size...only 2 of six lenses were shorter than the Canon lens equivalent. In overall kit weight you save only about 10% in weight of mirrorless FF vs. dSLR FF sensor when the kit had comparable same 6 lenses in both kits.

One truly has a size advantage if one goes from FF dSLR to an APS-C mirrorless or 4/3 format mirrorless, as the needed FL are proportionately shorter for the same AOV.

Even on APS-C, the differences aren't that great when you start to talk about longer and/or faster lenses. That's before you consider than an f/2.8 lens on APS-C is more like an f/4 lens on full frame. For example, the Fuji 50-140 is smaller and lighter than the Canon 70-200 2.8 but bigger and heavier than the f/4 version which its aperture more directly compares to.

Sony's full frame zooms are just as big and heavy as Canon or Nikons which is why I've never considered them. I've owned a Fuji and it's a nice system for many applications, but you can't cheat physics. If you need the light gathering capability of a large sensor, you'll need a big piece of glass in front of it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Nov 28, 2017 15:15 |  #34

If money isn't an option the new Leica M 10 is a lot smaller as are Leica M lenses. Not a lot lighter though.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 28, 2017 15:21 |  #35

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18506081 (external link)
If money isn't an option the new Leica M 10 is a lot smaller as are Leica M lenses. Not a lot lighter though.

How's the AF tracking?

Charlie
13,835 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 28, 2017 15:24 |  #36

it may not be for you, but I can shoot my A7rii + FE 35 all day, and do most of the time. If you really want a small kit, you can certainly source one, but seeing that you linked the petapixel clickbait, you're not really interested in honest answers. Your "kit" assumption, assumes that one must carry more than one lens at once amiright? For the most part, I dont need more than one lens for most of my shooting.

What you hand pick for kit comparisons, may not ring true for others. I travel with two bodies, in the past, a 5D and 6D. That alone would put me over 400+ grams, AND not as feature rich, not to mention the volume included is significant, especially to bystanders who may be photographed.

Everyone has a different shooting scenario, and please find me an alternative to the A7rii + FE 35, my daily carry. My second most used is the A7rii + Voigtlander 35 F1.7 + TAP adapter for AF.

My micro kit can fit into the ILC50 by lowepro, and I clip on my belt. My medium sized kit with the voigtlander can fit into the think tank digital holster 5, clipped onto belt.

A 5D series body alone, without lens, would not fit into either of the bags. So you can pretend that the size doesnt matter, and it may not to you, but it certainly does matter. For some folks, even the A7rii + FE 35 is TOO BIG, so they may shoot with a high end point and shoot like the RX 100. Before going to mirrorless, I was a daily DLSR carrying shooter, my small kit is dramatically smaller. Sometimes when I shoot events with fast primes, then only 2/3 primes would be significantly smaller than DSLR equivalents. Sometimes I use my 2.8 zooms, and size savings is even less. Carry out the 600, and the lens weighs much more than the body that it makes little difference what's mounted to the lens.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 19 days ago by airfrogusmc.
Nov 28, 2017 15:33 |  #37

mike_d wrote in post #18506087 (external link)
How's the AF tracking?

Perfect. Working DoF scales ROCK. I will never go back to auto focus.

Didn't know AF was necessary to making great photographs. Oh yeah thats right it's not.

intence01
143 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post has been last edited 17 days ago by intence01. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 01, 2017 01:55 |  #38

Which 35mm FE? On the Sony platform the 35mm 2.8 FE is a great small option, but as soon as you want larger apertures such as 1.4 or better, than lenses become massive and don't balance well with the camera IMO. It's still 2.8, and Sony doesn't have a compact 35mm f2 or better with AF. The best you can do is the 28mm f2 or 55mm 1.8

I tried Sony and now am considering coming back to Canon. The Sony body is smaller and a few hundred grams lighter, but:

-Camera takes a few seconds to "wake up", extremely annoying if it went to sleep and you want to grab a quick shot
-Eats through batteries
-Add a flash and larger lenses and your size/weight advantage disappears.
-While the WYSIWG ability of the viewfinder is nice, the electronic viewfinder isn't the same as optical
-Sony lenses are stupid expensive

Not saying it's a bad system, but know the pros and cons. Fuji has a great system, small with smallish lenses, great build quality etc. If you're okay with crop, that's the direction i'd lean. The XPro-2 has a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder and their jpg/film simulations are great.

I know Sony has the best DR, best specs, etc. but I just don't love shooting with it. As others have mentioned it feels more like a computer than camera. Fuji is great and even with the hybrid viewfinder has nice ergonomics, size, etc.

Charlie
13,835 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 01, 2017 13:26 |  #39

intence01 wrote in post #18507997 (external link)
Which 35mm FE? On the Sony platform the 35mm 2.8 FE is a great small option, but as soon as you want larger apertures such as 1.4 or better, than lenses become massive and don't balance well with the camera IMO. It's still 2.8, and Sony doesn't have a compact 35mm f2 or better with AF. The best you can do is the 28mm f2 or 55mm 1.8

I tried Sony and now am considering coming back to Canon. The Sony body is smaller and a few hundred grams lighter, but:

-Camera takes a few seconds to "wake up", extremely annoying if it went to sleep and you want to grab a quick shot
-Eats through batteries
-Add a flash and larger lenses and your size/weight advantage disappears.
-While the WYSIWG ability of the viewfinder is nice, the electronic viewfinder isn't the same as optical
-Sony lenses are stupid expensive

Not saying it's a bad system, but know the pros and cons. Fuji has a great system, small with smallish lenses, great build quality etc. If you're okay with crop, that's the direction i'd lean. The XPro-2 has a hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder and their jpg/film simulations are great.

I know Sony has the best DR, best specs, etc. but I just don't love shooting with it. As others have mentioned it feels more like a computer than camera. Fuji is great and even with the hybrid viewfinder has nice ergonomics, size, etc.

you've listed the 28f2, 35 f2.8, and 55 f1.8

what does the Canon DSLR equivalent look like?
28mm f1.8 USM is much bigger and heavier, no IS
50mm f1.8 STM is smaller and lighter. It's also not optically close, no IS
40mm STM, while the lens is technically smaller, it weighs about the same I think, doesnt have IS
35mm F2 IS, that's the lens you want, faster aperture, much bigger, then that's what you should shoot then.

when it comes to Fuji,I'll just say that they dont have a monopoly on small lenses. Many lenses wont compete head to head with a FE lens, and consider the IBIS factor, and sony pulls ahead with comparable lenses. The 16 f1.4, 23 f2, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 16-55 f2.8, 50-140 f2.8 all have something in common. They're either bigger and/or heavier than the FE equivalent. Both brands do offer unique lenses that the other may not have an answer to. Both brands offer small lenses that in combination with camera, offer significant size and weight savings. Sony is generally quite a bit more expensive.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Dec 12, 2017 10:49 |  #40

Wilt wrote in post #18505807 (external link)
As has been revealed a number of times already, 'compact and lightweight' very well applies to the description of the body ALONE,
but after you mount the appropriate lens on the body, the total distance from back of body to front of lens often ends up longer for the mirrorless camera.

I think you were thinking of the a9 line and not the a99ii . . . the a99ii is an a-mount body, and it noticeably smaller/lighter than the competing 5Div and D8xx series.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,289 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by Wilt. 8 edits done in total.
Dec 12, 2017 12:02 |  #41

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18516136 (external link)
I think you were thinking of the a9 line and not the a99ii . . . the a99ii is an a-mount body, and it noticeably smaller/lighter than the competing 5Div and D8xx series.

We need not get into any extended debates. I will simply make this point about comparative sizes of FF dSLR vs. FF mirrorless:

• Sony A99V 810g,
    Sony A99-II 849g
    Canon 6DII 765g
  • Sony A99V 147L × 111.2H × 78.4D mm,
    Sony A99-II 142.6L x 104.2H x 76.1D mm
    Canon 6DII 144L x 110.5H x 74.8D mm

• Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 Sony specifies 3-1/8 " diameter x 3-3/4" extension from flange.
  • Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Manufacturer Spec Size 2.87" diam x 3.62”

I see no clearcut intrinsic advantage.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Dec 12, 2017 22:24 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #42

What an interesting comparison.

I wonder if any a99ii shooters would really use that Sony 28-70 for their 42mp sensor? Tamron made that 28-70 in a-mount, IIRC.

A99ii shooters probably never considered the 6Dii, and 6Dii shooters probably never considered the a99ii.

The Sony's ability to stabilize all lenses is something Canon an Nikon don't offer in DSLR bodies. No tripod (extra bulk and weight) needed to shoot 1/30 SS with a fast 135.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,308 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
18 hours ago |  #43

For those that say there is no weight advantage using FF mirrorless, I think you really never tried to build up a light system.

I just got back from 3 weeks in Morocco with 2 cameras ( A7R2 and A7R ) and 2 lenses ( Batis 25 and 85)

Try creating an equivalent DSLR outfit and see if you want to carry that outfit for 3 weeks throughout Morocco.

sponsored links

2,738 views & 18 likes for this thread
Switching from DSLR to mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.