Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 01 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Travel Tripod Insights

picworx
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Oct 01, 2017 14:27 |  #1

Looking for a travel tripod for a 1D series cam and 100-400 with arca swiss of course the weight is approx 8lbs

I looked at lots like mefoto, vanguard, sirui and others but I am looking for a recommendation in real world situations.

Any suggestions?

The Print is What Really Matters

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 01, 2017 16:11 |  #2

I use a Canon 1 series and a 100-400 Mk2 (+ other lenses) and that is quite a big ask of a "Travel Tripod". My Traveller is a Gitzo G1550T and it is pretty good but a 2 series would definitely be much better.

If you want a small, light, tripod for this combo then you are looking at spending quite a lot of money! However there is a, possible, exception. Have a look at the Feisol Tournament tripods. They are VERY light, fold back on themselves (like a Traveller tripod) and are pretty rigid. They are also not ridiculously expensive!

Two friends of mine have them (CT-3342 and Ct-3442) and I rather like them. The largest setup I have used on them is a Canon 1DX, 300 F2.8 L IS + a 1.4 extender and they coped quite well though the CT-3342 was a little better. They are not cheap but are decently made and performed above my expectations. If I didn't already have a few Gitzo tripods I would be chasing one of them.

http://www.feisol.net ...s/tournament-tripods.html (external link)

Just some food for thought?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Nick5
Goldmember
2,912 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Nick5.
Oct 02, 2017 09:00 |  #3

Picworx.
My travel tripod is the MeFOTO Globetrotter CF, Carbon Fibre.
This has been supporting a similar set up you are looking for.
Gripped 5D Mark III with either a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II one 100-400 L IS Version 1.
Comes in its own carry case that I can walk on a plane with or small enough to check into suitcase.
Bought my Globetrotter CF in 2014 and utilized heavily while in Europe twice this summer.
I Highly recommend and I would certainly buy one again.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Oct 02, 2017 10:50 |  #4

The MeFoto Globetrotter sells at B&H in NYC (I understand B&H have good shipping prices to Canada) for US$298 after a rebate. MeFoto products are cost-reduced Benro tripods/ballheads and this tripod comes with a ballhead so it's a kit. The Benro branded tripods are much better quality but their ballheads leave a lot to be desired so you need a different ballhead if you buy this kit. Benro branded tripods are copies of Gitzo designs and some parts are interchangeable. I've not personally used an FTA28CC tripod but because it's branded Benro it's going to have better materials/construction than the MeFoto. Also the MeFoto is a 5 leg-section tripod and my experience is that five leg sections are one leg section too many for good tripod stability.

If you get a Benro FTA28CC at $US$269 and a Sirui K-20X at US$129 from B&H your total is US$398.00. I have not owned a Sirui ballhead either but have used several in the B&H store and was impressed. The models I used looked very worn but worked perfectly so either the B&H techs service them assiduously or they are very durable. A lot of people on this site really like the Sirui ballheads so I think its the latter.

The Benro FTA28CC is the modern successor to the Benro C2680T which I have used for over 7 years. The C2680T is a very reliable tripod and you can read my review of it here. This kit would cost you US$100 more than the MeFoto kit but if my experience is anything to go by it would be well worth the extra.

~Peter

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,506 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 02, 2017 14:45 |  #5

If you haven't done so, review the B&H resource material on travel tripods at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...ying-guide/travel-tripods (external link).

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 02, 2017 23:46 |  #6

B&H dealzone has the mefoto backpacker tripod in titanium available for $75...it's weight limit is 8.8lbs though so it may be tight...

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...o_Travel_Tripod_Wit​h.html (external link)

i've got the mefoto daytrip which is really tiny and i like the quality of it, but i mainly use it for small hikes/backpacking and it doesn't need to hold that much weight

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 03, 2017 00:11 |  #7

I had to look... Ti is just the color. :-P

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 03, 2017 00:20 |  #8

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18465015 (external link)
I had to look... Ti is just the color. :-P

ha, i didn't even think of that...yeah, it's just that color that is on sale

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 03, 2017 02:30 |  #9

Personally, I use a Sirui t2205x. It's pretty solid for a travel tripod, breaks down small, and has no problem holding my kit. I've use it with the 1dx and 70-200 2.8, and a 300 2.8 with a Wimberly sidekick. I've even done long exposure images with my 70-200 on it. The retractable spikes in the feet are quite handy too. I use mine with an Acratech GP head, which keeps the whole set up very lightweight, but a bit more expensive.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 03, 2017 08:11 |  #10

Another vote for the Sirui t2205x. It's great.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

MaxImage
53 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Hawaii
Oct 03, 2017 18:23 |  #11

If you haven't already, perhaps this thread regarding past travel tripod options will be able to offer additional insights. Though the discussion was from a couple of years ago, the replacement offerings are easily attributable to the current day, and offers a handful of real world situations.

Fast forward a few years from then until now and IMHO, the Gitzo 2 series traveler has been my personal go-to when travelling abroad while using a 1D/gripped body regardless of lens choice. In terms of setup/take down speed, stability in a variety of terrains--from soft and mushy, to fragile and rocky, and level to grossly uneven terrain, the Series 2 has offered (in my own personal, albeit limited, experience) the greatest compromise and convenience in often hurried travel shooting while allowing for long exposure, bracketed and action shots that require the use of a tripod. But perhaps, more importantly, the Series 2 Traveler has offered up the greatest piece of mind in stability versus the other options I have tried. That said, I haven't tried many, and especially none of the newer offerings within the last couple of years. So take this advice with a grain of salt, in that, with the advent of better technology, it is very possible that the discussions contained within the previously linked threads are now outdated and there are better stability options at better price points that a few years ago.

For the OP, my style of travel often involves walking >10+ miles a day with a 20-25lb backpack (plus anything I purchase), for usually up to 12 hours a day. Through both cities and the countryside; heat, rain and cold; I rely on public transportation wherever I go and rarely, if ever, have a dedicated vehicle for door-to-door service. Over the past few years, my travel tripods have logged over 50K flight miles, countless number of terrestrial miles and serve as well today as when I purchased them new; from cheaper offerings to the more expensive ones.

A few posters above mentioned the full range of MeFoto offerings, and with a 1D/gripped body, the Globetrotter offers the greatest piece of mind, especially with longer lenses. In the linked thread, there are several discussions that include the Globetrotter and to this day I still stand by the superb quality (read: excellent for its price point) of this tripod.

As you know, with larger "travel" tripods, lugging around the sheer weight can be an issue, especially with an already sizable 1D + 100-400. So while these larger tripod offerings have the additional benefits of stability and subsequently piece of mind, if the sheer weight is a deal breaker, purchase the largest tripod your budget will allow for while considering the amount of additional weight you'll have to lug around during your travels. You honestly can't go wrong with whatever travel tripod you choose. Learning the nuances of the tripod that you end up with is part of the fun and at the end of the day, will offer you better quality images vs handheld.

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by picworx. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 09, 2017 10:27 |  #12

All great suggestions I already own a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 which is approx 20" with out the 468MGRC2 amd with the head flipped down 23" which does fit into my airline baggage. Anyone know much about the Manfrotto Befree line and a head that would hold 12 lbs?

My tripod weighs 2.7 lbs and the head 1.6 lbs (4.2lbs total) so in terms of weight none of these tripods give me any real weight advantage. Now in terms of size they are smaller but bulkier so right now I am at a loss as to whether I just keep what I have?

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Oct 09, 2017 16:05 |  #13

picworx wrote in post #18469010 (external link)
All great suggestions I already own a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 which is approx 20" with out the 468MGRC2... I am at a loss as to whether I just keep what I have?

I have a 190CXPro3, it's a great tripod for its size/weight, it's what gets used most often. It may not get much respect among the RRS/Gitzo users, but I'm happy with it, even though I have a Gitzo 2-series for longer lens work.

What is it about your 190CXPro4 that you would like to see improved on your next tripod?

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

picworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Ontario, Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by picworx.
Oct 10, 2017 10:55 as a reply to SailingAway's post |  #14

Just looking for something smaller and lighter but what I see so far is not much different in weight, yes they are shorter by about 4 inches but also bulkier in terms of circumference when folded up.

The other option is to keep the one I have and look for a much lighter head in an arca swiss, because right now my existing head is 1.6 lbs.

So something shorter and considerable lighter than my 190CXPRO4 with 468MGRC2 so I can use a 1D series with a 100-400 with 1.4 converter at times.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,742 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 10, 2017 19:55 |  #15

That head is a bit of a monster! Certainly it is a good head but a 700 gram head for travel?

My travel tripod (Gitzo G1550T) sports a Triopo RS3 with an Arca type clamp added. Whilst the RS3 + clamp is pretty light (roughly half the weight of your Manfrotto, this head will support any lens that Canon/Nikon currently make. This (RS 3) head is complete overkill for travel even with my 300 F2.8 - but it is what I have so I use it! Unfortunately my travel tripod is not up to the head! But then even my 4 series Gitzo struggles to match it!

Sirui also make some nice rigid (and more user friendly) heads, have a look at the Sirui K20X and K30X.

Back to tripods. If you need to buy now then the Feisol Tournament models are my suggestion, though if you are patient and scour the used market then a 2 series Gitzo would be a better (possibly cheaper?) option.

Just my thoughts.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,510 views & 3 likes for this thread
Travel Tripod Insights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.