Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 01 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Travel Tripod Insights

ryn996
31 posts
Joined Nov 2013
Oct 10, 2017 19:58 |  #16

MeFoto Globetrotter

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 11, 2017 00:17 |  #17

picworx wrote in post #18469730 (external link)
Just looking for something smaller and lighter but what I see so far is not much different in weight, yes they are shorter by about 4 inches but also bulkier in terms of circumference when folded up.

The other option is to keep the one I have and look for a much lighter head in an arca swiss, because right now my existing head is 1.6 lbs.

So something shorter and considerable lighter than my 190CXPRO4 with 468MGRC2 so I can use a 1D series with a 100-400 with 1.4 converter at times.

Are you sure the 190CXPro4 is only 2.7lbs? B&H lists it's weight as 3.6lbs, making it a full pound heavier than my Sirui 2205x and 1.3lbs heavier than the Gitzo series 1 traveler. I know my travel rig is 3.7lbs for the tripod and the head. Your ballhead lists as 1.4lbs. Fine for a regular head, but a bit much for travel. The Acratech GP SS is 0.85lbs. You could get a Gitzo 1545T and a GP SS and have a setup that weights 3.2lbs and can handle any weather you through at it. Granted you'd be spending a fair bit of money, but it'd be well spent. :)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

SailingAway
285 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post has been edited 2 months ago by SailingAway.
Oct 11, 2017 11:11 as a reply to Scatterbrained's post |  #18

I myself have never used a true “traveler” type tripod, I’ve been willing to carry more weight to get more stiffness. So, I can’t make a direct comparison to something like a Gitzo or Feisol travel tripod. I expect them to be not as stiff, but haven’t experience just how flexible. They *will* be more flexible, not as stiff.

You could lose a pound or more going to one of them.

I have an Acratech GP, at 1 pound you could lose some weight there, too.

That could be significant to you - my worry is that your 100-400mm is a lot of lens. The Acratech will handle it, but will any travel tripod be stiff enough for a long exposure with it? Do you do long exposures? This comes to how you use a tripod when traveling. If it’s so the family/friends can get in front of the cam for a group pic with a WA or normal lens then you’re in the classic use case for a travel tripod.

If you’re using your 100-400 for sports or wildlife, or doing long exposures of any kind, a medium standard tripod would seem to be the choice. Your Manfrotto is in fact a bit light for those uses. A Gitzo 2-series or equivalent Feisol might serve best, and, you’d be looking at the best compromise of size and weight. It may get bigger and heavier than your current tripod!

Again, just another opinion, were it me, I’d buy a good lightweight head and put it on the manfrotto sticks, and see if I could rent a 2-series for a weekend to put it in the suitcase and put it through its paces.

OTOH, for the group photos, many of the standard travel tripods would work great!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 11, 2017 13:04 |  #19

My travel tripod and regular tripod is the same, and I typically take 2 travel tripods with me.

manfrotto pixie? table top tripod, comes in real handy if I dont want to carry anything around.

feisol 3442 + arca p0 + strap. The whole feisol setup weighs 3lbs 12 ounces. Not exactly light, but it's probably the lightest you can get for that sort of performance. It'll handle up to 100-400 as long as it's not windy conditions. I frequently use it for LE with long glass.

if budget is not an issue, hands down best travel tripod is the RRS TVC 24. About the same size and weight of the Feisol, but with the leg diameter of a Gitzo 3 series.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

peter_n
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Oct 11, 2017 13:56 |  #20

Charlie wrote in post #18470530 (external link)
if budget is not an issue, hands down best travel tripod is the RRS TVC 24. About the same size and weight of the Feisol, but with the leg diameter of a Gitzo 3 series.

I agree. The TVC-24 has replaced my trusty Benro travel tripod that's in it's 7th year of service. Same folded size and just 0.5lb heavier but with no center column.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

NDAPhoto
151 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Post has been edited 1 month ago by NDAPhoto.
Oct 21, 2017 11:04 |  #21

For a 1D and 100-400, I can't recommend Mefotos. I have a carbon Roadtrip that is my preferred travel tripod because it folds under 16", but it's not the most stable or durable. The Globetrotter is beefier, but built the same. After one serious drop the plastic leg inserts can fall out. You can reassemble it, but it is a pain. This does not mean Mefotos are bad, but the priority is different.

Instead, I would recommend the Induro GTT204M2 (external link). Induro has the same parent company as Benro and Mefoto. There's also a series 1, but I think you need the series 2. I own the aluminum equivalent and it is nearly as rugged as my Gitzo. Only wish I had bought the carbon version instead, then I would travel with it. Above Induro, you need to look at Gitzo and more $$.

GTT204M2:
Load Capacity: 30.9 lb
Max Height: 64.4"
Min Height: 17.9"
Folded Length: 18"
Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 4.3 lb
Twist Locks
Reverse Folding Legs
Short Center Column & Carrying Case
BHM2 Ball Head with Quick Release Plate

sponsored links

1,499 views & 3 likes for this thread
Travel Tripod Insights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.