Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Oct 2017 (Monday) 11:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My first look at Canon's new 85 mm

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,711 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 07, 2017 14:01 |  #106

ben805 wrote in post #18490999 (external link)
Newer "modern lens" with higher amount of glass elements/groups can often robbed the quality of light. A super sharp lens with capability to obliterate background don't necessary give you the 3D pop, a lot of Sigma Art lens from what I have seen do not have the "pop"...they often look uninteresting and quite flat to me. Awhile back I read somewhere the 3D pop consists of a blend of contrast, vivid colors, lighting direction, DOF, and decent sharpness at the plane of focus, with key element being the micro-contrast. You can check out this article below explaining the 3D pop in a more scientific way....

http://yannickkhong.co​m ...es-or-the-death-of-3d-pop (external link)

I'de say that blog isnt very scientific.

Some of the samples dont even have the same exposures, and T stops are not the same as F stops.

I have a pair of old zeiss lenses that fit into his definition of 3D lenses, and at the same time, a modern lens like the voigtlander 65 APO looks to have them beat: http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/14514​13/52 (external link)

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links
Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Nov 07, 2017 17:18 |  #107

eaglespremiers wrote in post #18490609 (external link)
Matter of preception I guess.
I prefer the image I'm getting out of the new lens more so than my old 85mm f/1.2L II.

Good effort getting your hands on this lens so soon. Thanks for posting all the images, and congrats on the little one. Impressive posting given the lack of time or sleep you might be having the pleasure of right now :-)

And good to hear you like it more than the 1.2.

I can generally see the difference between 1.2/1.4 and those taken at 1.8 say, but I struggle to see the whole old school rendering versus the new sharper lenses. Thats even seeing the images side by side. I've also seen side by side 'out of focus area' comparisons of the 1.2 lens and 1.8 lens, both at 1.8, and yes there is a difference but it is tiny (IMHO of course). Again thats seeing the images side by side. So for anyone to look at the images you've posted here and say they've lost the 3D look, without a side by side comparison of the older lens, is definitely beyond me.

I'm sure some might be able to see the difference, but you've gotta be looking real hard. Surely most photos can't really see a difference, and certainly not clients. That said I've seen one chap on flickr recently who embraces the lens flare on the 1.2 to produce some stunning images.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

FTb
Joined Jun 2014
Nov 07, 2017 18:39 |  #108

Charlie wrote in post #18490852 (external link)
85mm is very nice for group portraits and blurry people on the sides can detract from a photo.

True, but I can't imagine shooting a group portrait without stopping down at least 2 or 3 stops, and in that case the 85MM II is plenty sharp across the frame.

My flickrexternal link
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Nov 08, 2017 02:59 |  #109

I've seen from sellers here in Australia that there's only about a $50 or less price difference between the f/1.2L and f/1.4 IS so cost isn't really a consideration for me as they're practically the same.

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 08, 2017 06:33 |  #110

Dlee13 wrote in post #18491562 (external link)
I've seen from sellers here in Australia that there's only about a $50 or less price difference between the f/1.2L and f/1.4 IS so cost isn't really a consideration for me as they're practically the same.

As a videographer first and foremost the trade up (2nd hand price of 85mm f/1.2L II to new price of 85mm f/1.4L IS) will be well justified. Much of my work is done on Canon cameras (like the C200 and 5D mkIV) on either monopods or gimbals. As Canon cameras do not have IBIS I think that having image stabilisation at a length like 85mm will be invaluable for my purposes. I certainly have found the IS of the 35mm f/2.0 extremely useful.

Bendigo Wedding Photographerexternal link

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 08, 2017 06:34 |  #111

Dlee13 wrote in post #18491562 (external link)

Yep, lens cost me $2,399 from Michaels in Melbourne. Basically on par with the 85mm f/1.2L II.

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 08, 2017 06:35 |  #112

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #18490617 (external link)
I've relooked at all your pictures again + the new baby pics (the first one is great) - congratulations to you and mom.

All the posted pictures are all nice - I also really like your processing

The lens looks like a winner - especially with Canon L reliable AF (do you have any comments about the AF compared to other L glass (lets not compare to the 85Lii)

Always nice to have a poster give early feedback on a new lens.

Thanks for posting everything

Having shot for less than 20 minutes with the camera I think it compares favourably to the new Canon L series zoom lenses like the 16-35mm f/4.0 and 24-70mm f/2.8. In terms of comparison to the 85mm f/1.2L II I think the difference in focusing speed and accuracy might be like comparing the autofocus speed and accuracy between the Canon 5D mkII and Canon 5D mkIV. But I've only had a small period of time to test it.

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 08, 2017 06:36 |  #113

umphotography wrote in post #18489786 (external link)
Thanks for posting.

The bokeh here looks good for the examples you posted. However, You were right of top of them and the fall off is immediate as it should be. Just about any fast lens is going to do this.

I think the real test will be to see what the fall off is going to look like with a head and shoulders and 1/2 body shot for a person in a portrait setting. Then we can compare to a Sigma art and the 85 1.8...thats going to be the true test

Thanks again for posting

I was hoping to get some shots for you today but I had meetings until 10:30pm tonight, so will try my best to get some longer portraits (if the wife is willing) tomorrow evening.

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 08, 2017 06:36 |  #114

ben805 wrote in post #18489901 (external link)
Thanks for the samples, what's your impression of this lens? any chance you can take some people portraits ie: waist up or shoulder up?

Will do my best to get some tomorrow evening.

Dlee13
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Sydney
Nov 08, 2017 15:22 |  #115

eaglespremiers wrote in post #18491640 (external link)
As a videographer first and foremost the trade up (2nd hand price of 85mm f/1.2L II to new price of 85mm f/1.4L IS) will be well justified. Much of my work is done on Canon cameras (like the C200 and 5D mkIV) on either monopods or gimbals. As Canon cameras do not have IBIS I think that having image stabilisation at a length like 85mm will be invaluable for my purposes. I certainly have found the IS of the 35mm f/2.0 extremely useful.

IBIS is something that they definitely need to add to future bothers if they continue to aim for higher MP sensors. I've actually read of quite a few people complaining that on bodies like the 5DSr they need a lot higher shutter speed to get a sharp image as the camera shake shows up a lot easier.

I'm in Sydney so I'm not sure where I'll buy it from once I have the funds and sell off my Sigma.

Canon 6D Mark II ~ Canon M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS ~ Canon EF 17-40mm f4L ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~ Sigma 85mm f1.4
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 15:35 |  #116

Dlee13 wrote in post #18492059 (external link)
IBIS is something that they definitely need to add to future bothers if they continue to aim for higher MP sensors. I've actually read of quite a few people complaining that on bodies like the 5DSr they need a lot higher shutter speed to get a sharp image as the camera shake shows up a lot easier.

I'm in Sydney so I'm not sure where I'll buy it from once I have the funds and sell off my Sigma.

I agree IBIS would be great to have in future bodies. I'd really like to have the extra usability this would give to a whole stack of non-IS lenses.

But isn't the high megapixel sensor sharpness issue a red herring? The real sharpness issue is surely what is delivered at a standard print size ... not what you see when you pixel peep at 1:1 on sensors that have totally different pixel densities. Or am I missing something?

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Ah-keong.
Nov 08, 2017 20:15 |  #117

Charlie wrote in post #18490670 (external link)
the SOOC baby pics look great. 50 and 85Lii are nice, but they do have serious issues. If you want the modern sharp wide open lens look, those older versions are not it.

modern look = 24-70Lii, 70-200Lii, 200Lf2, sigma art primes

personally, I would prefer the magical look of the 50mm f/1,2L and the 85mm f/1.2L mark II.
However I understand there are some focus issues (AF speed, focus shift, etc). When you nail it, its magical and 3D "pop" look is unique.

the modern look are kinda clinical, like the sigma Art series and the Canon modern zooms you mentioned....
and Z.e.i.s.s.... :p

maybe its me, I prefer the old school look....

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

FTb
Joined Jun 2014
Nov 08, 2017 22:05 |  #118

Ah-keong wrote in post #18492296 (external link)
personally, I would prefer the magical look of the 50mm f/1,2L and the 85mm f/1.2L mark II.
However I understand there are some focus issues (AF speed, focus shift, etc). When you nail it, its magical and 3D "pop" look is unique.

the modern look are kinda clinical, like the sigma Art series and the Canon modern zooms you mentioned....
and Z.e.i.s.s.... :p

maybe its me, I prefer the old school look....

I agree about the lovely look of the 50mm f1.2 and 85mm f1.2 when they are right. And although I've seen a few nice photos from the 85 Art, most of what I've been able to find online from that lens looks anemic or clinical to me too. Maybe files from the Art just need to be processed differently, cause if some people are getting good results, it would seem the lens is capable.

My flickrexternal link
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2012
Olympia, WA
Nov 09, 2017 00:11 |  #119

I was really hoping to see more pictures from this lens in here. :(

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canonexternal link
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitudeexternal link

eaglespremiers
118 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 09, 2017 05:11 |  #120

Here's a couple more shots that my wife allowed me to shoot tonight.
This was just under tungsten lighting and I didn't spend any time posing her.
And yes, I have edited the colours.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

29,003 views & 98 likes for this thread
My first look at Canon's new 85 mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.