Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 07:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

On1 Photo RAW 2018

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Oct 03, 2017 07:50 |  #1

"Please join us live October 3rd when we announce ON1 Photo RAW 2018 to the world and share all the new features and improvements."

https://www.on1.com ...rs/on1-photo-raw-exposed/ (external link)

sponsored links
eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Post has been edited 2 months ago by eddieb1.
Oct 03, 2017 12:40 |  #2

MCAsan wrote in post #18465154 (external link)
"Please join us live October 3rd when we announce ON1 Photo RAW 2018 to the world and share all the new features and improvements."

https://www.on1.com ...rs/on1-photo-raw-exposed/ (external link)

Damn, I just bought 2017 and now you want me to pay another $79 to upgrade? Ain't gonna happen. Too many established apps to be a beta tester and then pay for the privilege. Now to uninstall it.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
5,670 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
Texas
Oct 03, 2017 12:50 |  #3

Same here. I purchased RAW 2017 and now have to pay another $80 for 2018? Why couldn't this be a free upgrade for 2017 users? Yes I realize the costs to develop the application to add these new enhancements but I don't see myself upgrading.

Sony α7R II / ILCE-7RM2, α6000 / ILCE-6000 | Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA | Carl Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8, Loxia 85mm F2.4, Batis 18mm F2.8 | Voigtlander Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 | Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro |

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by eddieb1. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 03, 2017 13:35 |  #4

digital_AM wrote in post #18465298 (external link)
Same here. I purchased RAW 2017 and now have to pay another $80 for 2018? Why couldn't this be a free upgrade for 2017 users? Yes I realize the costs to develop the application to add these new enhancements but I don't see myself upgrading.

Agreed. I was an early adopter. Ordered and paid before the app was even available. Other apps I have give lifetime upgrades for early adopters. I already have uninstalled. I won't bend over and take it. I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,462 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Oct 03, 2017 13:37 |  #5

Have all the features promised for the 2017 edition really been implemented?

I'm not sure because I put this app aside. Still prefer DPP.

eddieb1
687 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Oct 03, 2017 13:39 |  #6

agedbriar wrote in post #18465338 (external link)
Have all the features promised for the 2017 edition really been implemented?

I'm not sure because I put this app aside. Still prefer DPP.

Nope

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,462 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by agedbriar.
Oct 03, 2017 14:05 |  #7

Found the screenshot taken on 2016-12-29

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

davinci953
182 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Oct 03, 2017 14:51 |  #8

digital_AM wrote in post #18465298 (external link)

Same for me. I just upgraded to 2017 this past June. It seems a bit much to have to have to pay again for this release.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,462 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Slovenia
Oct 04, 2017 01:35 |  #9

I started to dislike their marketing model at the very beginning, when they rushed me to buy the license as the promotion was advertised to end in two days.

Instead, the promo went on and on for a further month or more.

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
Joined Sep 2008
Dorset - England
Oct 04, 2017 04:22 as a reply to agedbriar's post |  #10

I still get promotions of 'special' deals' from them. I tried it but it wasn't even finished and was really still in beta IMO.

I wonder if all the features of this new release will work form the start?

Kev

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Oct 04, 2017 07:08 |  #11

eddieb1 wrote in post #18465335 (external link)
Agreed. I was an early adopter. Ordered and paid before the app was even available. Other apps I have give lifetime upgrades for early adopters. I already have uninstalled. I won't bend over and take it. I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Oct 04, 2017 07:46 |  #12

NinetyEight wrote in post #18465703 (external link)
I still get promotions of 'special' deals' from them. I tried it but it wasn't even finished and was really still in beta IMO.

I wonder if all the features of this new release will work form the start?

According to the special event video yesterday, the public beta will be available 6 Oct (Friday). You can download it and try it out to see if it works on your machine the way you hope it will.

kirk

Kirk
---

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina. 3 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 09:20 |  #13

Ditto and ditto again. If y'all remember the history of ON1 Photo Raw 2017, it was released to the public missing options. In other words, it was incomplete and unfinished when released.

Items and features have been added on a regular basis all along and upgrades were offered.

ON1 Photo 2018 ? ? ? Bull shirt - how about calling it what it really is - ON1 Photo Raw 2017 FINALLY COMPLETED and offering the completed ON1 Photo Raw to all us poor suckers who bought into your Photo RAW 2017 line of crap.

On1 2018 apparently features "crowdsourced" ideas. Let me interpret that: "crowdsourced" ideas were the ON1 2017 suckers reporting bugs that needed to be fixed or features that were promised but missing

Ain't gonna' happen. Not even going to waste time with the trial. As they say "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Edit: and Matt K (Kloskowski) shame on you for participating in this egregious travesty. Disassociate yourself from them now and you may (MAY) salvage your reputation.

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,408 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kirkt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 11:26 |  #14

What seems ironic about the OnOne approach is their simultaneous attack (thinly veiled or otherwise) on Adobe to attract disgruntled Adobe users while essentially pushing out a clone of Lightroom with some "filters" and layers/masks - and pushing folks to join the *subscription* OnOne Plus program. I would say that their marketing is aggressive, according to my inbox, and their software is average. I bought 2017 when it came out, but it just sits on my machine and I barely use it - there is no compelling reason to do so. They do produce a lot of content, videos specifically, but they pretty much repeat the basic idea - here is an image I shot, here is how I edit it with Photo Raw.

I agree that they promised features which were not implemented in the original release, etc. Not so cool. The "upgrade" to the 2018 version should be free, or a modest amount, for existing users - instead it is $80. Not cool either.

Considering their aggressive criticism of Adobe to garner new users, they should be aware of how this kind of BS will play with already disgruntled former Adobe users.

kirk

Kirk
---

MCAsan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Oct 04, 2017 12:26 |  #15

eddieb1 wrote in post #18465289 (external link)
Damn, I just bought 2017 and now you want me to pay another $79 to upgrade? Ain't gonna happen. Too many established apps to be a beta tester and then pay for the privilege. Now to uninstall it.

No I don't. I was just letting folks know about the event. For me, too many large holes in the product. I asked if Layers will FINALLY become a non-destructive module. The answer....not in the initial 2018 release.

For now I will stick with a combo of Photo Mechanic plus the Macphun apps.

sponsored links

12,801 views & 18 likes for this thread
On1 Photo RAW 2018
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.